• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This API thread is worthless

KBayDog

Kbay, you are scarin me.. You are sounding like a younger, less angry version of A4s :eek:

What, me angry?

Brando-Streetcar.bmp-195x276.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Is everything in API directly applicable to your everyday flying job? No. However, it provides everyone with a basic aeronautical foundation, and (more importantly) develops the study habit patterns that the average Joe will require to succeed in follow-on training. If you can't memorize simple Aero definitions, you will probably struggle when you are forced to memorize EPs, limits, course rules, etc.

Point of all this is probably not everyone is equal. Some will struggle, some won't. I'm an IP in primary and have seen all kinds up to this point.

My suggestion: Do not gaff off API. (Or Primary. Or Advanced. Or the FRS. Etc., etc., etc.) You have an opportunity that a large majority of our population would do anything for - and you are getting paid a decent penny to do so. Don't blow it all for a few nights of fun in Pensacola. After you complete a "milestone," by all means, celebrate...but in the meantime, attack your training as if your aviation career and your professional reputation are on the line.

Common sense would dictate not "gaffing" off API or any other part of training. Know your limits would be key. If it takes one many hours and a good night sleep to pass a test or memorize an EP's, do what has to be done. If you can do it while still having fun, by all means. I didn't work that hard in flight school and perhaps should have. I agree in that setting a pace could very well follow one down the road. I don't think I ever really studied more than 2 hours for any flight....or test and was still at 50 NSS or above in primary, int and advanced. I'm not a natural by any means (50 is average anyway), just lucky in that I didn't have to stress or pull all nighters. However, maybe if I had, I could have done better and maybe, applied that down the road as a JO. I was hurting by the midway of my first sea tour. Had to work hard at things other than flying to at least pull a competitive EP out of the command. There are other things in your Navy career that can effect you other than flying.

No,
The military is small - not just Naval Aviation (which makes NA all that smaller!). "They" are always watching. "They" are always talking. "They" never forget.

Believe it.

Agreed.......whether true or not, a reputation or even an old reputation can and will follow you and even effect you down the road. I speak from experience on this one unfortunetly.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I haven't been to API yet, but I hve been helping lieutenants study for the exams. Seems pretty easy to me and I hear the PT is a joke.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
If it takes one many hours and a good night sleep to pass a test or memorize an EP's, do what has to be done.

I'm that guy. I felt bad last night going out and getting a beer with my friends instead of stuyding for the AERO II test on Tuesday morning. I'm not failing out. I get the concepts so far, and I hear AERO II and NAV are the two hardest exams, so I study accordingly. I memorize the curves and charts and limits and anything that might come up on the test..

It's been said a dozen times and I will repeat it again. API isn't that bad. The worst part for me so far has been when I have to walk from the shower to the pool and the hallway between the locker room and the pool was about five degrees... That sucks.

Cavrone- It is a joke. My class played dodge ball on Friday. It might have been because it was the Friday before a three day weekend, but oh well. None of the Marines in my class seemed to care. Don't be that Marine who constantly bitches about how fat the Navy guys are and what a joke the PT is, we know... okay? :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There's a little swimming and weight lifting right? Why is that? API has no real PT while enlisted aircrew go through a PT academy in Aircrew School? Lazy ass officers :icon_rage

I personally wanted more PT. As officers we shouldn't be forced into PT but they do because it gets a regular schedule going. I liked the idea of getting into a habit of daily PT. I stayed and PTed often when our "PT sessions" went from 2 hours to 25 minutes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a little swimming and weight lifting right? Why is that? API has no real PT while enlisted aircrew go through a PT academy in Aircrew School? Lazy ass officers :icon_rage

Because that's not what API is about. There's plenty of time for you to go PT by yourself. In the mean time, there's swimming almost every day and at some point they put you through an hour of Tae Bo (or however you spell it) and then afterwards throw you in the pool. I don't care how "hard" you are, I think everyone in my class was pretty whooped after that. Then came class. Yea.

Seriously, it's not that big a deal. Guess what, API is not Aircrewman school. And guess what, they don't have organized PT in Primary and advanced either. My god, how do we survive? Oh that's right, we're adults and can manage our own time.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I was making a joke at myself since I am an officer now. What is expected of me is alot less than when I was enlisted.
Ok, I misinterpreted what you were saying. I think a :D icon would have conveyed your meaning better than a :icon_rage icon.