• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
paid by the mile, not by the minute. We'll just ask for the parallel and go around you if we can. Works great lasts long time at places like PHX and LAS.
Taxiing down to the 26s in Vegas is my go to for taxi fucking with SWA. I hear them grumble to ground by ground just ignores them or says they don’t tell pilots how fast to taxi.

“Ground, can we take the parallel around Hawaiian? “It won’t get you in the air faster, tower already has your release sequence from departure.”

It’s the little pleasures in life.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been on hundreds of SWA jumpseats over years of commuting. While not all speed taxi, it is an earned reputation. I have been on a couple SWA jumpseats where taxing speed was absolutley unsafe, but no other airline. What I don't get is the motivation. Paid by the mile not the minute? Sorry, facts are these guys are not arriving early by any margin. Does no good on second leg of 4 leg day to speed taxi when your next departure will be at schedule. You are not making minutes over the day. Last leg going home, I can see that I guess. To the layover hotel, big deal. You are essentially still at work and the man owns you.

For those that think slow taxi gets us by the minute guys paid more, well, you really have to work at it. It takes a super slow taxi watching the clock and was never worth the effort to me. I really did not respect those Captains. Bragging about making 3 minutes on the day was low brow cheap ass penny foolish. As a percent of trip pay it was nothing. Taxi safe. Pay attention to the job, not the clock.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Lotta SWA hate here. Good, good, let it flow through you.

I really could give a fuck about whose airline is best as long as the checks keep cashing.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lotta SWA hate here. Good, good, let it flow through you.

I really could give a fuck about whose airline is best as long as the checks keep cashing.
Except we are not talking about best. We are talking about taxi speed. I took a shot at the slow taxi Sky Nazis too. Lighten up Francis. We are(were) all in it for the checks and know that we all ended up at the airlines we did by chance. No one is going to leave United after 3 years because they think the culture is better at SWA.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@wink, did you speak up about the unsafe taxi speed as a jumpseater?
Nope. I was a guest. A very appreciative guest. I wasn't going on the tape putting my host on notice. As an ACM, I just made sure I was being a little more vigilant myself. We have all made judgments like that. I would do the same thing again.

Why so prickly about taxi speeds? Reminds me of when Mrs Wink was a new lawyer and took offense to lawyer jokes. She grew out of it when she learned the kernel of truth in all the jokes. It is what it is. SWA is known for a fast taxi and you practically owned it above. It isn't like SWA has dozens of mishaps due to taxi speeds to be embarrassed about or otherwise defend. It is simply a fact that SWA tends to taxi faster than all the other major carriers, and contrary to the AIM. It is bound to get noticed. Even passengers have noticed how fast SWA taxis some times. I have been told on many occasions they love the way SWA taxis because it means they are "considerate of our time" or "they know this is how to make up time" or "they are all business", "they just get it done".

Oh and save some ammunition for HAL. I never taxied slow to aggravate SWA. Fun to watch some times, but I couldn't do it out of appreciation for the ride to work every week. Plenty of LUV for SWA from hangar #45.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm not. I made the joke about taxiing fast....it's definitely grounded in truth. Others go out of their way to slow SWA down. SWA sometimes works out a way to taxi around those kinds. It's all good.