• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

dustydog

pilot
I’ve done the opposite of many of the posters. Using vacation and training, I’ve managed to conflict my June and July schedules, dropping all my trips. Time off with full monthly pay is my priority this summer. Luckily Fedex has a kick ass vacation system and doesn’t require min hours.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've had all the time off with pay I for awhile. The 12 months April 2020 through March 2021 I flew 8 times during which I received well over $300,000 in minimum guarantee.

Notanaviator

Contributor
To be very clear, I am not knocking any of y’all taking advantage of the deal that has been negotiated for you all, kudos, mazel tov, I legitimately am glad for you.

But understand that I also can’t get over the feeling of getting hosed as a taxpayer when the airlines need a hand out and also have contracted themselves into an operating model that is completely insane by any business lens.

Again, not getting personal (unless you’re also spewing conservative small govt stuff- I’m conservative, but if you’re in a union and benefit from this, pick a side), understand not all airlines took payouts/loans, are the same, etc... just an observation.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
To be very clear, I am not knocking any of y’all taking advantage of the deal that has been negotiated for you all, kudos, mazel tov, I legitimately am glad for you.

But understand that I also can’t get over the feeling of getting hosed as a taxpayer when the airlines need a hand out and also have contracted themselves into an operating model that is completely insane by any business lens.

Again, not getting personal (unless you’re also spewing conservative small govt stuff- I’m conservative, but if you’re in a union and benefit from this, pick a side), understand not all airlines took payouts/loans, are the same, etc... just an observation.
Nothing at all wrong or inconsistent about being against bailouts and handouts and happily accepting them when offered. I hope that clears it up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm not actually sure what you mean. The airlines cut their most expensive labor force via buyouts, and they're going to replace them via first year FOs, and they did it using taxpayer money.
If government is going to create a problem via lockdowns, then they'd better be ready to either a. Choose winning teams or b. Suffer the consequences of a moribund economy and probably get voted onto their asses. They went with A. B is still TBD.

HuggyU2

None
Before you get too pissed off, start with
  • Fauci being one of the top... possibly THE top... gov't salaried person.
  • seeing what FAA FSDO people get paid.
  • going to a major airport, looking at every person in a TSA uniform, and realizing they are making over $50k on average. Yes, same people that took away a nailclipper from my son-in-law's Marine buddy, who was on a military charter, with an automatic weapon in his possession. Or in another instance, ran the handgun of a Blackwater ops guy through the metal detector... because it's required. Great stories, though!

Focusing on the US infrastructure is important. Yes, there is a lot of waste. But the airline business model is not "insane".

Notanaviator

Contributor
Nothing at all wrong or inconsistent about being against bailouts and handouts and happily accepting them when offered. I hope that clears it up.

Yeah, again, completely agree with this, and believe my original post suggested same.

Before you get too pissed off, start with
  • Fauci being one of the top... possibly THE top... gov't salaried person.
  • seeing what FAA FSDO people get paid.
  • going to a major airport, looking at every person in a TSA uniform, and realizing they are making over $50k on average. Yes, same people that took away a nailclipper from my son-in-law's Marine buddy, who was on a military charter, with an automatic weapon in his possession. Or in another instance, ran the handgun of a Blackwater ops guy through the metal detector... because it's required. Great stories, though!
Focusing on the US infrastructure is important. Yes, there is a lot of waste. But the airline business model is not "insane".

Absolutely not losing any sleep over this, just making an observation, and certainly not trying to argue that a taxpayer bailout of airlines is the worst waste of money in the system, or that it in any way excuses nonsensical policies- obviously it’s not, and it doesn’t.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
@Notanaviator It's a supply and demand thing. We are kind of use to pilots on this site but the truth is in the real world, there are very few pilots qualified to fly for major airlines. Unless you are a former military pilot, the cost of obtaining those qualifications are excessive. Those qualified can demand and receive this level of compensation.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Labor costs are not the breaking point of airline financial decisions. The money they pay highly qualified and vetted professionals to do a particular job may seem enormous but pale in comparison to enjoying the public passenger's piece of mind. Any time there is a significant loss of life associated with a major airline mishap the quality of the training, the professionalism of the aircrew, and the flying experience of the aircrew are always called into question. Airlines pay enormous sums of money up front in order to prevent disaster and paying ginormous sums of money in death benefits. Consider any amount they pay anyone as an investment and leveraged cost against a single fatality.