• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
So somebody has done some practice bid analysis.

Junior Memphis 757 Captain. - Mar 2018 new hire
Junior Hong Kong 767 Captain - Mar 2018
Junior Memphis widebody Cap - Apr 2017
Junior 777 Cap - 2005

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I follow Phil Greenspun at MIT - he has some interesting perspectives about an airline career:

and the dynamic between Union and Company

I'd be curious what you all think of his advice and perspectives

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
geez you guys are cheap... although if it’s first year pay, I understand.
You don't see anyone promoting Natural Light or Popov vodka do ya? Priorities, man. Washing socks or underwear in the sink avoids having to go to a laundromat and sit around when you could be at the bar, or pay for hotel laundry. Knowing tips for a good night's sleep allows for later nights at the bar. Saving money permits you to buy better booze for the junior guys.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You don't see anyone promoting Natural Light or Popov vodka do ya? Priorities, man. Washing socks or underwear in the sink avoids having to go to a laundromat and sit around when you could be at the bar, or pay for hotel laundry. Knowing tips for a good night's sleep allows for later nights at the bar. Saving money permits you to buy better booze for the junior guys.
and the road to HIMS!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
1st brick, 1st taxiway exit. 60% of the time it works every time!
BogusShorttermBluewhale-size_restricted.gif

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Typo on my part. It drops you from Path to Speed. If they give you an "except maintain speed, change that speed in the FMS and it will do VNAV Path just fine. Don't touch the panel. Do all speed changes in the FMS. Set the current (I forget the page) and then set future on the Legs page. It does PATH really well then as long as you follow "add drag" cues. You can set the current speed in the FMS almost as fast as you can on the panel.

It's been about a year since I've been in a SWA cockpit but I was pretty regularly until then. I always cringed watching the crew doing VNAV, especially the Captains. FO seemed to know it better but the Captains always wanted to ignore "add drag" and roll in a vertical speed or a higher airspeed instead. That or kick off the autothrottles and pull it to idle for all descents. They also had a tendency to set all the speeds manually on the panel and then wonder why it wouldn't do Path. One dropped the gear 25 miles out of San Diego instead of using speed brakes. "I know the company says we can use speed rakes with flaps now but I think it weakens the flaps and I won't do it." to the FO when he questioned him. Same guy refused to use the autothrottle for the descent. He was the cliché of the old Captain who refuses to modernize or change his ways. Old school -200 pilots who doesn't understand all the information on his non-dial screens or how to use the automation.

I'm probably painting with too wide a brush but it was the same things I saw at Hawaiian when we started doing VNAV on the 767 and until I was taught by that one check airman, I was doing the same.
Sorry I'm late to the VNAV nerdery. It's been a minute since my P8 days, but I believe you're looking for the VNAV Cruise page, I think it was page 2 (or whichever VNAV page is active depending on your phase of flight). The thing I've seen bite people on this is: if you get a speed restriction at altitude, they put it in the cruise page, but not the descent page. So for example, VNAV thinks it's flying 250 KCAS at altitude, but 300 for the descent, and it draws the Top of Descent point and the descent path based on that. I've seen people distrust VNAV for things like this, but in reality it's doing exactly what they told it to do, they just didn't fully understand what they were telling it to do.
Never heard of the EAI trick, but the box also allows you to plug in descent winds (my turn to forget, I think it was based on waypoints for climb and cruise, and altitudes for descents), so if you want a shallower descent, you can just tell it you have stronger tailwinds than you actually have.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the -800 I found creative use of manual wind entries made life less dramatic.