• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Russians are keeping a lid on the Arctic Sea "investigation"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1919342,00.html?xid=rss-fullworld-yahoo

Sounds most likely to be fighter or missile systems if I had to guess

That entire article is nothing but a combination of pure speculation and simple bullshit. There are much easier routes and methods to get arms from Russia to the Mideast than taking a long, slow boat trip to Timbuktu and back, by way of BFE. And relying on the expertise of an Estonian Admiral? The thought of the fearsome Estonian Navy sends shivers through my timbers when I take to the high seas.

Henry Luce is spinning in his grave.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That entire article is nothing but a combination of pure speculation and simple bullshit. There are much easier routes and methods to get arms from Russia to the Mideast than taking a long, slow boat trip to Timbuktu and back, by way of BFE. And relying on the expertise of an Estonian Admiral? The thought of the fearsome Estonian Navy sends shivers through my timbers when I take to the high seas.

Henry Luce is spinning in his grave.

But Flash, they read it on Yahoo news! :rolleyes:

WTF happened to people's critical thinking abilities? Seriously people.

Brett

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait wait wait, Brett, are you telling me that not everything on the internet is true?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
But Flash, they read it on Yahoo news! :rolleyes:

WTF happened to people's critical thinking abilities? Seriously people.

Brett

The article came from the Time.com news website. Are you now trashing Time as a worthless rumor-monger? I didn't realize that 2 NFO's could concurrently hold the title to WSWM. Also, I'll bet dollars to donuts that a real international espionage story comes out of this thingy.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the Baltic isn't exactly known for piracy. Whether it was private criminal enterprise, Spetznatz, CIA, Mossad, or Agents of SPECTRE, something wierd clearly happened with that boat.

My money's on a counter-smuggling/proliferation operation that was clumsily executed. What was being smuggled, by whom and who boarded the ship, I have no idea. Given that this was a country that, until fairly recently, treated the Moscow phone book as a state secret, I doubt we'll ever get the real story. The Russians are masters at trying to bury embarassing fuck-ups under layers of denial, obfuscation, lies and counter-accusations (see the Kursk incident).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article came from the Time.com news website. Are you now trashing Time as a worthless rumor-monger? I didn't realize that 2 NFO's could concurrently hold the title to WSWM. Also, I'll bet dollars to donuts that a real international espionage story comes out of this thingy.

I am aware of where the article came from, hence the guy spinning in his grave. While I do respect them as a reputable news agency and not a tabloid, if you read the article close enough you will see that they reach no conclusions and are largely reporting on the speculation, some of which is patently absurd. I don't have to be the WSWM to know that.

Well, the Baltic isn't exactly known for piracy. Whether it was private criminal enterprise, Spetznatz, CIA, Mossad, or Agents of SPECTRE, something wierd clearly happened with that boat.

My money's on a counter-smuggling/proliferation operation that was clumsily executed. What was being smuggled, by whom and who boarded the ship, I have no idea.......The Russians are masters at trying to bury embarassing fuck-ups under layers of denial, obfuscation, lies and counter-accusations (see the Kursk incident).

While I generally don't trust the Russians as far as I could throw them I have to agree with Mr. Rogozin. Want a reasonable explanation? Go back to the theory Brett already cited. This could be nothing more than a commercial dispute gone awry, or a simple screw-up on the part of the 'pirates', if there were any in the first place. There may be little public information on this entire incident but that does not mean there was super-secret squirrel stuff going down. I know that might disappoint the tin-foil hat crowd here but where is the beef?

Fog

None
Contributor
My tin-foil hat fits nicely, thank you. But then, I also think we've been visited by extra-terrestials as well. Either the rest of this [Arctic Sea] story will gradually ooze-out, or it will go away. My bet is that it'll eventually come out & that there's a serious international security issue underlying all this. The Russians don't send out their Navy in a panic for no small reason, and they are the most consistently reliable liars on the planet. JMHO.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<<Either the rest of this [Arctic Sea] story will gradually ooze-out, or it will go away. My bet is that it'll eventually come out.>>>

That could be...but either way, that'll take some time, won't it...maybe lots of time!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32676094/ns/world_news-europe/

It ain't over, boys. There's mo' coming. Laugh if you want, but there's a real story here.

This article adds nothing of substance - sorry to disappoint you. Why are you so eager for this to be some kind of conspiracy? In my experience, legitimate secret squirrel operations never see the light of day WRT being in the press, and most of the "supposed" conspiracy stories end up being completely bogus. Take that how you will.

Brett

Fog

None
Contributor
Santa Claus?! When the needle said 500lbs remaining, did he believe that? The Russians launched subs, destroyers & cruisers to retrieve a 1,200 ton tramp steamer that had been boarded in the Baltic, and Brett says nothing special was going on. When the VC are coming through the wire, it's no time to question yesterday's intel report.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Santa Claus?! When the needle said 500lbs remaining, did he believe that? The Russians launched subs, destroyers & cruisers to retrieve a 1,200 ton tramp steamer that had been boarded in the Baltic, and Brett says nothing special was going on. When the VC are coming through the wire, it's no time to question yesterday's intel report.

Sounds like "Hunt For Red October" - a great work of fiction. ;) Hey, almost anything is possible, but it's just not probable.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Other than the Russians claiming that they actually did that how do you know that for sure? And I haven't seen that many little black pajama-clad asians running around here.