• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Officer Recruiter is in...

Halfpint

AEPnot2B
Some (if not all) recruiting districts ran into issues with manning due to furloughs (and likely fundung issues in general with sequestration), and were not accepting officer applicants to process through the stations. Enlisted recruits were stil lgoing because many ship out of there directly to basic training (they swear in and get on a bus/plane straight out of there), while officer applicants are just getting a physical. If your recruiter is not getting back to you, it's likely because he has not gotten the go-ahead to send you; my impression was that they might halt most officer applicants from processing through there for the rest of the fiscal year. This info is coming from my own experience as an applicant. I started my package back in March, and I know even my secret clearance background check was put on hold until the new fiscal year due to funding (this was even before furloughs started). I can't promise that I have the whole picture, but this has been my experience so far. I'm kind of stuck at the commissioning physical step right now, as well.

BigRed389

None
Hello folks / officer recruiters. Thanks for all of your forum-ing. I was recently pro-rec'd for SWO and I'm waiting on medical stuff to go through and then FS and all that. In the meantime, there's one thing I'd like to check into. As far as language qualifications go, whatever that test is called, when would I be eligible to take it? Would that only be after OCS? I speak Arabic, but the longer I wait the worse it'll get, I suppose, so probably better to test sooner. Not that I've got much to do these days other than practice.

Not an OR, but the DLPT is the test used to measure proficiency, and it's not a normal part of the OCS/SWO pipeline.

I'd ask your recruiter to see if you can take it now...reason being it would be good to get that documented now, so that if you later want to move into a community that does make regular use of language skills (like FAO) it's easier.

SWO's that do DLI (language schools) are usually doing one off embassy tours or other not really "normal" shore tours.

exNavyOffRec

Some (if not all) recruiting districts ran into issues with manning due to furloughs (and likely fundung issues in general with sequestration), and were not accepting officer applicants to process through the stations. Enlisted recruits were stil lgoing because many ship out of there directly to basic training (they swear in and get on a bus/plane straight out of there), while officer applicants are just getting a physical. If your recruiter is not getting back to you, it's likely because he has not gotten the go-ahead to send you; my impression was that they might halt most officer applicants from processing through there for the rest of the fiscal year. This info is coming from my own experience as an applicant. I started my package back in March, and I know even my secret clearance background check was put on hold until the new fiscal year due to funding (this was even before furloughs started). I can't promise that I have the whole picture, but this has been my experience so far. I'm kind of stuck at the commissioning physical step right now, as well.

There was a stoppage of officer applicants going to MEPS, but Region west has lifted it, but they try to manage the number of all people thru MEPS

DIVO

RUFiO181, do you know how many SWO-IP and IP was selected for the Aug board?
9 IP's. I think 2 SWO IPs. Majority were fleet... My select found out today and is going to OCS next month. It's a quick turnaround for IP.

DIVO

Rufio181, Navyoffrec, and other ORs past and present who help us along the way thank you so much!

So an issue a myself and a few of my fellow OCS applicants are running into involves MEPS... mainly getting an appointment to get there. I've been to my recruiter twice since being Pro-Rec'd, and well... I haven't gotten a meps appointment yet through him . I was in my ORs office more than a week ago, got the necessary paperwork to provide when I go the MEPS station, and upon calling my OR Monday, he says hes still waiting on a response from the MEPS station for an appointment on when I can go and be evaluated.

Originally I was told this all had to be done by today (8/30), now Im being told the 15'th of September. I'm extremely frustrated because I have been trying to plan ahead to get a MEPS appointment for a month and feel like I have been blown off on multiple occasions. Is there any means of getting to MEPS without my current OR's direct involvement? For example, can I try to go through the contacts I have at my local enlisted office and see if that works?

This is what I want to do with my life, and I am trying to take it into my own hands and get things done proactively, my frustration comes with the fact that I feel like this is a simple scheduling matter which has just been blown off, and I am now legitimately starting to fear that the failure to get to and clear MEPS in a timely manner will result in me being set back and having to reapply to another board... aside from offering to go to a private doctors, and waiting for my OR to get his bearings (he's new in role) what else can I do to get to MEPS and clear it? Should I contact another OR and try to get an appointment out of state?

I'm mainly frustrated because I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to get an appointment at MEPS... I know enlisted guys who go to MEPS the next day after originally meeting with their recruiters.... why does it take so long and is it so seemingly difficult for OCS applicants? Is this a trend or an isolated occurrence of a lack of sense of urgency?

If you have health insurance- this might be worth a try. Ask your OR for the 2808 and the 2807.1. Ensure your doc appt includes HIV and a drug/alcohol test. Get a full eye exam and hearing. Make sure you have the lab print outs and have your OR or processor submit to N3M. As long as your doc fills everything out and stamps the Navy forms, N3M should accept.

Tenzo82

9 IP's. I think 2 SWO IPs. Majority were fleet... My select found out today and is going to OCS next month. It's a quick turnaround for IP.

Wow, that's alot of IP. I think I'm going to apply for IP but anything could change. I tried in Feb but they didn't select any.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not an OR, but the DLPT is the test used to measure proficiency, and it's not a normal part of the OCS/SWO pipeline.

I'd ask your recruiter to see if you can take it now...reason being it would be good to get that documented now, so that if you later want to move into a community that does make regular use of language skills (like FAO) it's easier.

SWO's that do DLI (language schools) are usually doing one off embassy tours or other not really "normal" shore tours.

DLPT scores are only good for one year. Getting one documented now for a potential lat move years down the road really won't do anything.

Depending on the language and the individual's job upon commissioning, taking the DLPT (and passing) may result in receipt of Foreign Language Proficiency Pay. http://doni.documentservices.dla.mi...rvices/07-200 Disbursing Services/7220.7G.pdf

elliottm2

Hello All, Im back again, and I finally have my appointments for MEPS. Blood test is tomorrow, and the other stuff is on thursday.

MY OR is out at the moment, for the blood test do I need to do anything special? For example, if the test is around 9:30 AM tomorrow morning then should I not eat breakfast tomorrow? Any recommendations on what I should or should not eat today? I dont even know what they are testing for.

Kyler Boeck

Pro-rec SWO waiting for FS
When I went to MEPS I stayed in the hotel the night before that they set you up with and they feed you breakfast right before MEPS. I ate and had my blood test just a few hours later. I don't think food messes up the blood test at all.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When I went to MEPS I stayed in the hotel the night before that they set you up with and they feed you breakfast right before MEPS. I ate and had my blood test just a few hours later. I don't think food messes up the blood test at all.

It's encouraged not to eat, or at least have a light snack and water for at least 12 hours prior to the blood test. I wouldn't recommend eating a Denny's Grand Slam before walking into MEPS...

CTFly1

How do you address the "to" line in an LOR for OCS? I wasn't sure how to go about it since the package is seen by several different boards?

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
My only LOR was from an OR (my DIVO) and he addressed it " To: Officer Candidate School Selection Board"