• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The newest Herk?

taxi1

pilot

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In addition to the Marine Littoral Regiments, DARPA is probably also eyeing the Army's Multi-Domain Task Forces, which are kinda sorta the same flavor of thing.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There’s a process for coming up with good ideas outside of the JCIDS formality.

DARPA is given the sea room to get out ahead of the requirement and look for things the services didn’t know they need, but really want when they see it.
I doubt the Marines would be willing to carve out enough budget money for the logistics tail that would come with this capability. Not many seaplane ramps at airfields anymore, and not many Marine airfields co-located with bodies of water big enough to take a seaplane of this size.

I really do think it’s a cool idea but I feel like the absolute massive infrastructure and back shop support ($$$$) required to make this thing work at an operational level is being overlooked.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s a process for coming up with good ideas outside of the JCIDS formality.

DARPA is given the sea room to get out ahead of the requirement and look for things the services didn’t know they need, but really want when they see it.
Yes, I'm aware of what DARPA does, but at the end of the day, the services still have to agree to pay the bill. I think you're having a difficult time understanding the difference between something that could theoretically be done vs. what is likely to happen.

You and I both know that there is zero percent change the USMC will buy this or anything like it. Zero.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not for DARPA. They’re in the business of creating opportunity.

The USMC is watching this. Why wouldn’t they? It’d be the EABO machine. Worth checking out the RFI from last year.

The USMC might be watching, but they're not going to make a smart decision on it.

Ask a Marine MQ-9 guy what their primary METs are. Leave it to the USMC to buy a shooting RPA platform to do everything but shoot.

Llarry

I'll just leave this here. Anyone want to contemplate a Rhino or Growler on floats? <big grin> F4F-3S.jpg

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The idea is still alive, and is being tested in various concepts. I dropped in on an unclassified AFA brief and they have tested dropping some stand-off missiles and such. The AFSOC guys don’t see this as a thing to strike at the Chinese Main Battle Fleet but rather a tool to disrupt CHYCAP logistics and merchant marine. I doubt we’ll see one in the next few years, but in five or ten…maybe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The idea is still alive, and is being tested in various concepts. I dropped in on an unclassified AFA brief and they have tested dropping some stand-off missiles and such. The AFSOC guys don’t see this as a thing to strike at the Chinese Main Battle Fleet but rather a tool to disrupt CHYCAP logistics and merchant marine. I doubt we’ll see one in the next few years, but in five or ten…maybe.

Did you see what kind of conjuration they are pursuing? Most articles say amphibian, meaning it will have operational wheels permanently attached, and of course, operate on land and water. They could go more flying boat with detachable wheels for hauling her out. That would likely be quicker and cheaper.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Did you see what kind of conjuration they are pursuing? Most articles say amphibian, meaning it will have operational wheels permanently attached, and of course, operate on land and water. They could go more flying boat with detachable wheels for hauling her out. That would likely be quicker and cheaper.
Some type of boat hull appears to be the winner.