• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The newest Herk?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
To be fair, INDOPACOM presents a significant logistics challenge for US forces and anything that is mobile and can haul a significant amount of cargo/pax at range will probably be explored. There are only so many cargo aircraft, tankers, and MSC assets to go around - and all them are not risk worthy. Especially since the USAF and Navy are basically at risk in some form or another all the way to the 2IC.

DARPA is a good idea fairy machine with a lot of extremely talent people - but we all know how acquisitions works and whatever gets developed will require extensive development and wargaming before it hits the production line. amphibious tractors, tiltrotors and VSTOL aircraft were once considered in the same light… but here we are for better or worse.

taxi1

pilot
Well that’s why they canned the 130!
I work with folks that are in the thick of this project. Their focus has been on getting both the cost and weight down, and they did some seedlings on structure fabrication that proved they could make a sturdy as heck aluminum wing for reasonable cost. That’s why none of the shapes in the plane are super crazy with exotic compound curves. All developable surfaces you can make starting from from flat plate.

It’s meant to live in the water too. As much boat as plane.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I work with folks that are in the thick of this project. Their focus has been on getting both the cost and weight down, and they did some seedlings on structure fabrication that proved they could make a sturdy as heck aluminum wing for reasonable cost. That’s why none of the shapes in the plane are super crazy with exotic compound curves. All developable surfaces you can make starting from from flat plate.

Any lighter-than-air concepts? LTA and in-ground-effect could be capable platforms for some things.

Notanaviator

Contributor

Would be interesting to have them do some noodling on using graphene as an additive to improve strength and reduce weight.

Random8145

Oh, I don’t know….maybe the article:

“The U.S.’s Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (DARPA) is seeking an experimental “X-Plane” approach to create a new Wing-in-Ground (WIG) Effect seaplane to transport (amphibious) armored vehicles and heavy cargo at flying speeds above the wavetops for naval forces.

I don’t know if the Army or Air Force uses Amphibious Armored Vehicles….but I highly doubt it. ??
Pretty sure the Army uses amphibious armored vehicles, because when you encounter things like rivers and very large streams, being able to just drive across is very handy. Not all of their vehicles are amphibious though.

GroundPounder

Clearly, we have ships attending to that right now.
I think you missed my attempt at humor. I know the Navy has ships in the Atlantic to take care of such things. In fact, I know pretty much exactly where one of them was this afternoon.

Last edited: