• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The newest Herk?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What makes you think the USMC is looking to expend recourses on an exotic platform like this? That isn't really their MO.
Oh, I don’t know….maybe the article:

“The U.S.’s Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (DARPA) is seeking an experimental “X-Plane” approach to create a new Wing-in-Ground (WIG) Effect seaplane to transport (amphibious) armored vehicles and heavy cargo at flying speeds above the wavetops for naval forces.

I don’t know if the Army or Air Force uses Amphibious Armored Vehicles….but I highly doubt it. ??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Side question: When a seaplane is on the water, do they have to follow nautical rules of the road???‍♂️

Yes, and rank somewhere up there around sail boats.

Bonus fact: helicopters are also part of the rules of the road and rank almost at the top for being given way.

taxi1

pilot
I suppose the one thing I'm lost on is: Where do you need a C-130 in the island campaign that you don't already have a runway in which a C-130 could land?
Everywhere

Just randomly picking out a bunch of islands, no idea if they're strategic or not, although there were lots of actions there in WWII. I see just a few islands with airfield in the archipelago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was once old, is new again. I'm assuming this is an attempt by the AF to stay relevant.

I think it is more SOCOM and SOCAF trying to remain relevant in the PACOM theater having gone from being a centerpiece in the last 20 years to a supporting player, and a relatively small one at that.

Didn't the US move away from seaplanes due to the large list of CONs?

Having read plenty of WWII and aviation history, to include seaplane operations, I get the sense the USAF/AFSOC is overlooking just how challenging the actual practice of seaplane ops can be. There are numerous accounts of seaplanes landing in rough seas during to conduct SAR becoming damaged as a result, even purpose built and pretty rugged aircraft like the Catalina and Sunderland often sustained damaged if they landed in seas rougher than what they were designed for.

Then there is how they will go about developing and maintaining a cadre of effectively trained personnel to do these ops, there are only a few 'western' governments that still operate seaplanes and all but one do so in a fire-fighting capacity AFAIK. None use floatplanes that I know of. So how the USAF is going to create and implement a training program and maintain it is going to be interesting to say the least.

Finally there is the practical aspect but trying to restart US military seaplane ops after a 50 year hiatus with the largest floatplane ever to fly (AFAIK, biggest I can find is the CANT Z.511) is pretty ambitious and pretty risky.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Looking at the concept art on this beast and I see no means of beaching the plane, How do they plan on servicing and maintaining it?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Looking at the concept art on this beast and I see no means of beaching the plane, How do they plan on servicing and maintaining it?

That's a detail on the order of "How long should the launch bar should be to reach the deck?" or "Is the hook too close to the main landing gear?"

In other words, these things have a way of working themselves out. Job security, baby!

;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't see a sea plane suriving the tactics of the Black Cats with today's threats.
Large seaplanes often had cradles with wheels that would be attached under the hull in the shallows or individual wheels that would be attached to hard points on the hull. Then it taxied or was dragged out up a ramp.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, I don’t know….maybe the article:

“The U.S.’s Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (DARPA) is seeking an experimental “X-Plane” approach to create a new Wing-in-Ground (WIG) Effect seaplane to transport (amphibious) armored vehicles and heavy cargo at flying speeds above the wavetops for naval forces.

I don’t know if the Army or Air Force uses Amphibious Armored Vehicles….but I highly doubt it. ??
The article doesn't state a Marine requirement, which is kind of a prerequisite. I've said it here and other venues - using a platform like this for CSAR in C7F is a non-starter.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it is more SOCOM and SOCAF trying to remain relevant in the PACOM theater having gone from being a centerpiece in the last 20 years to a supporting player, and a relatively small one at that.
Well, to pedantically correct your acronyms, SOCOM, SOCPAC, and AFSOC. :) But as to your larger point, at least as far as I'm concerned, ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, to pedantically correct your acronyms, SOCOM, SOCPAC, and AFSOC. :) But as to your larger point, at least as far as I'm concerned, ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Africa, always the odd man out of the CCMD's.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article doesn't state a Marine requirement, which is kind of a prerequisite. I've said it here and other venues - using a platform like this for CSAR in C7F is a non-starter.
Yes, it wasn’t explicitly stated as a Marine requirement. So, pray tell, who uses Amphibious Armored Vehicles?

Maybe they are thinking non-combat ops like MP security forces during an HA/DR event? That might work in the C7F AOR.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, pray tell, who uses Amphibious Armored Vehicles?
I'm not sure I understand the question. I mean, amphibious armored vehicles also fit on a commercial RORO, but that doesn't mean the Marines want, or will procure a fleet of RORO ships. If I wrote a story for The Drive detailing a lighter than air blimp that had an amphibious armored vehicle attached to its undercarriage, would that mean the Marines are now buying those too?

In other news, the Marines are absolutely not, ever, under any circumstance, procuring a bespoke platform for HA/DR.

None of this makes any sense. Please stop.