• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Naples incident/how to ruin your career before it's started/make others suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Man.. I think if they were hiking/camping and killed a bird or two to eat it'd be one thing.... Looks like they were just on a rampage...... I think they should be required to do 2 years enlisted as an undesignated striker... It's the least they can do for tarnishing the academy's reputation (more than it already is)....

Most people get kicked out from something alcohol related (partly attributable to the poor judgement that comes along with drinking).... This is just unbelievable.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
And what were they doing all the way down there?

Being idiots. We were told just not to get on a plane, but if we go far - NOT TO GET IN TROUBLE.

Don't get in trouble anyway. I'm grateful to be here and am almost overly-careful any time I go out. I just don't understand it. Why would you risk your dream/career?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Honestly, I could give a shit about the birds. The most interesting thing about this all is that they used their ONE FREE call from jail to phone muster three of them.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Honestly, I could give a shit about the birds. The most interesting thing about this all is that they used their ONE FREE call from jail to phone muster three of them.

I guess this is that ten percent our CDI was always talking about.

BourneID

pilot
You have got to be kdding me, I give them credit for the phone muster, but damn, could you have been more retarded

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I would understand this if they had already seen the '70s survival video. Afterall, everyone knows that killing the bird will improve morale, and every bird is edible . . .

phrogpilot73

As everyone probably knows by now, allegedly 3-4 Ens in A-Pool were arrested. They are accused of shooting protected birds in a wildlife refuge. Things are probably going to get painful for those in A-Pool because of this.

The reason we'd like to avoid discussing it is because they are fellow commissioned officers, and are innocent until proven guilty. Give them the benefit of the doubt - but do not declare them guilty before they are given their day in court.

That being said, most of us have encouraged everyone who is A-Pool to relax, and enjoy yourself. Be smart about it, don't do something that you would be ashamed to tell your mother about. I learned how to scuba dive when I was there, and spent a lot of time at the beach. There's plenty to do in the Pensacola area, be smart and be safe.

Godspeed

pilot

No kidding.... They have NO idea how things work... What did they think would happen? They would just show back up to the command and everything would be hunky dory? EVEN IF this somehow didn't get back to the command and this went 'unnoticed', they would be instantly shitcanned when it was security clearance time... Eventually, SOMEONE would've found out.

I think it goes to show that IF you ever get in trouble, YOU want to let your command know before THE POLICE do. Phone mustering to try to cover it up does nothing more than cast you as a shady SOB with ZERO integrity. I'd like those with more time in the NAVY to back this up, but demonstrating to a command that you have zero integrity is the quickest way to end a career (aside from maybe a DUI).

In the unlikely event that these goons felt what they were doing was legal and innocent, their phone call should have been to the next person in their COC or the base JAG office.

I doubt the outcome would've been any different, considering the alleged irresponsible killing of nearly 2 dozen birds for no apparent reason, but had these guys just been 'trespassing' onto this Federal land with shotguns (hopefully within the liberty radius), they might've well been OK had they called their superior officer, filled them in with the situation and admitted they made an honest mistake.

This is my take on it anyhow (superior Os keep me honest).

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
As everyone probably knows by now, allegedly 3-4 Ens in A-Pool were arrested. They are accused of shooting protected birds in a wildlife refuge. Things are probably going to get painful for those in A-Pool because of this.

The reason we'd like to avoid discussing it is because they are fellow commissioned officers, and are innocent until proven guilty. Give them the benefit of the doubt - but do not declare them guilty before they are given their day in court.

That being said, most of us have encouraged everyone who is A-Pool to relax, and enjoy yourself. Be smart about it, don't do something that you would be ashamed to tell your mother about. I learned how to scuba dive when I was there, and spent a lot of time at the beach. There's plenty to do in the Pensacola area, be smart and be safe.

Sage, sir.

It seems the smart part is a problem here. Things will be painful; we've already been assured, but if it keeps someone from accidentally killing themselves or someone else, I guess it's worth it. It's just a shame people don't know better - or they do and they choose not to care.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
We were reassured in A-Pool that their careers are done, and yes they were outside the 300 mile radius, not that big of a deal as seen by the LT in charge of us, but the fact they got into trouble and were lying is what ruined everything.

Godspeed

pilot
I also want to point out something that I didn't really know about in API that (if it hasn't been emphasized already), i'd like to point out to everybody.....

This is to studs that are in early stages of training (API, Primary, and probably even Intermediate/Advanced)

If you drink alcohol in public, regardless with who, when, or where, you ARE taking a risk, period... I don't care if you are only having a beer or two, or a six pack or more.

In API, I thought that hey, so long as I don't get behind the wheel, I'm golden.... WRONG

I'm going to give you all a few examples of things (that really happened) to GOOD folks in BAD situations that I've seen with my own eyes since I started going through training a couple years ago.... I am not going to use names, places or any identifying information (if you know who, keep your jaws locked)

Situation #1

ENS involved in this situation was a squared away API stud.... Was in tip top physical shape, kept his uniform in great order, volunteered for the stash jobs nobody wanted, and studied in much of his spare time waiting to class up... ENS had 2 beers out with his buddies, and in leaving, accidentally bumps a parked car.... Very little damage, but ENS parks, goes in to find the owner of the car (honest, rare thing these days) in order to make arrangements for compensating for the damage... Owner comes out and calls the police to have an official report on file.... Police issue citation to said ENS, who when asked, admitted to the police that he had a couple beers with dinner... Police fill out the standard citation, but because ENS was drinking, has to put 'With alcohol as a possible factor' on the ticket. ENS was well below the legal limit (and resultantly wasn't issued a DUI or anything close).
This ENS was kicked out of the flight program; despite his efforts and the efforts of his superiors (who in dealing with him, knew he was a stand up guy). Believe it.

Situation #2

ENS was an average ENS in primary, did just fine from what I recall and was a nice guy. ENS was out drinking with a couple buddies (other Ensigns). They all drove to the bar, but one of the other Ensigns was the DD for the night... They all got fairly intoxicated, but when it was time to leave, this Ensign's buddies had already left him. He had his keys on him, but chose not to drive... Instead, he knew that it was simply a field between the bar he was at and his house... He opted to walk to his house across the field. The owner of the field (farmer) called the police when he saw the ENS walking across the field. Police wrote him a public intox ticket, after ENS explained to officer that he was intoxicated and his DD left him. Officer gave him a lift home, thanking him for not driving as he got out of the car. Said ENS was removed from the flight program.

Cops these days can be found even IN the bars. Corpus, Vance, Pensacola..... If you get even a little tipsy in public, and a cop is having a bad day, or is even mandated that under certain circumstances they 'have' to write tickets, you are SOL. I'm not saying this to scare people, but it really should be a wake up call.

This could happen to anyone in any situation... What if you are out having a few with your girlfriend and some random drunk asshole pinches her ass and starts something with you? Before long, you are at fisticuffs... Next thing you know you may have an alcohol related citation on your hands... GOODBYE NAVAL AVIATION... Sounds stupid, but believe it, and think through the possibilities so you are prepared.

I'm not trying to sound like some douche from alcoholics anonymous....I like to kick back a few (sometimes more, and sometimes a lot more) just like everybody else, but I soon realized, through watching others go down hard for innocent mistakes, that for SNAs, there is a ZERO tolerance policy regarding alcohol... This goes far beyond the "just don't drink and drive" gouge that is being put out by many commands...

Makes sense too... Most here know how coveted an aviation slot is... I spent the better part of 3 years applying and reapplying for the one I got... Just for the CHANCE to be a naval aviator... There are hundreds, if not thousands working their tails off in college for one of these slots... NASC as well as the primary training commands, don't need to waste any time or energy on you if you slip up, or are even dealt a bit of bad luck... Sad but true.

Seeing bad things happen to good people sucks bigtime; my main motivation for writing this. Be careful out there and if you do take risks, make sure they are very calculated and well thought out.

GS

Status
Not open for further replies.