• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The great NWU's

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Look at the bright side. The zombie apocalypse is bound to happen in the next 9 days right? So now you have something that can be used to start fires quickly.

Zombies can burn right?

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I seem to remember having to buy new undershirts because the old ones they made us buy, and use for about 6 months.... would melt to our skin... I am starting to see a trend here =/

afwx

Booyahkah
Same shit happened in the USAF w/ the ABU's. I think it took almost 5 years for the uniform board to figure out that getting set on fire during an IED blast while wearing ABUs wasn't good for the skin and offered absolutely 0 protection from fire and the uniform would melt to the skin. We wore the Army's flame retardant uniform until the ABU flame retardant uniform was made...............then nobody wore the flame retardant version because everyone started to wear the Multicam instead. Maybe you guys had the same uniform board as us!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'll take my old chambray shirt and dungaree pants thank you...

Hear hear! Wear them for a week or so and they were ridiculously comfortable...Strange, sure...but distinctive, comfortable and functional. I was frustrated when we went to utilities...

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don't understand how this is even remotely a surprise to anyone in the process.
The requirements didn't have a need for flame retardandcy, so the requirements were met. Now should the requirements have had a need for a shipboard environment? It would seem to make sense. Of course there were also a lot of FOD issues with buttons when they first came out.

BigRed389

None
I'm tempted to do my own experiment.

I have a very old set that's not quite right anyway...I want to see this whole "burn robustly until consumed" thing in action. I'm just worried its too cold and windy right now to get a good burn going.

The requirements didn't have a need for flame retardandcy, so the requirements were met. Now should the requirements have had a need for a shipboard environment? It would seem to make sense. Of course there were also a lot of FOD issues with buttons when they first came out.
True. But considering people were also getting hassled about wearing UnderArmour undershirts when they first came out because they weren't cotton, you'd think somebody would've had a moment of clarity.
What's truly embarrassing is that there are a lot of other navies that are much better than the NWU's.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

But it still should be a surprise that 50/50 melts when it gets hot. Your point about it not being a requirement is a good one though. It just proves the further ridiculousness of the Board, especially when our sister service already had a uniform that would have met the requirements (I'm pretty sure the CG utilities are cotton, but welcome the correction).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Remember it took the USS STARK getting hit by a missile before the Navy figured out that wearing 100% polyester clothes (CNT) and plastic shoes (corframs) was a bad idea. So the fact the Uniform Board didn't worry about this (too focused on SDK and CPO cutlass) that it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Remember it took the USS STARK getting hit by a missile before the Navy figured out that wearing 100% polyester clothes (CNT) and plastic shoes (corframs) was a bad idea. So the fact the Uniform Board didn't worry about this (too focused on SDK and CPO cutlass) that it shouldn't surprise anyone.

I thought it was the ROBERTS before that...or the FORRESTAL before that. Yes, I'm being a smart ass.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The NUB is just one example of the travesty of decision making that seems to be the acquisition process. It is service-wide catastrophe, writ funny.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As a devil's advocate theory-to-practice, a ship recently fought a fire for approximately 12 hours and had 0 cases of NWUs melting to their skins. They did, however, have a handful of burn cases from dripping, near boiling water wetting the flash hoods with no fire helmets supplied.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As a devil's advocate theory-to-practice, a ship recently fought a fire for approximately 12 hours and had 0 cases of NWUs melting to their skins. They did, however, have a handful of burn cases from dripping, near boiling water wetting the flash hoods with no fire helmets supplied.

Were they actually wearing NWUs? In the last few years, the DC stations I've seen have Nomex coveralls for parties to change into (if they're not already coming from Engineering).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Everyone was wearing NWUs under their FFEs.

The test quoted says that it took a direct flame to each service's fabric for 12 seconds, which melted the NWU and charred the other two.

So I suppose if someone were to stand in the fire without FFEs, the NWUs might have melted, but then you have to ask yourself why someone would do such a silly thing. I doubt that standing 4-6' away and putting a fire extinguisher on a small fire that just started is going to cause the NWU to melt to anyone's skin, and if that fails you send personnel in FFEs to fight the fire.

There is the whole battle-damage possibility, but it's likewise hard to imagine someone who survives a hit to the ship but instantaneously finds himself in the middle of a blaze that melts his uniform to his skin. I'd like to hear the voices of experience to know if that's how it actually happened.

I hate the NWU as much as the next guy. I'm just pointing out that the only real-life scenario that occured doesn't support the study.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Everyone was wearing NWUs under their FFEs.

And I'm sure everyone will be dressed out in FFE's prior to any actual battle damage occurring.

I appreciate your playing devil's advocate, but I'm not sure your anecdote is so much a vindication for NWU's as an endorsement of the FFE's.