• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The great NWU's

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
@scoob, nstm 300 requires Sailors to wear arc flash suits when working on energized gear. The Navy version of an AFS is cotton flame retardant coveralls. So no, Sailors are not authorized to do electrical work in NWUs unless the entire work area is deenergized or less than 30V. But the Navy doesn't consider those two cases "electrical work."

As far as hot water causing burns in a fire, even FFEs don't protect against that. As I mentioned before, numerous Sailors in the Miami fire got burns from the scalding water falling on their flash hoods, which are flame resistant.

The only material allowed for the NWU t-shirt has always been a 100% cotton blue undershirt. Unless you're all referring to the turtle neck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
@scoob, nstm 300 requires Sailors to wear arc flash suits when working on energized gear. The Navy version of an AFS is cotton flame retardant coveralls. So no, Sailors are not authorized to do electrical work in NWUs unless the entire work area is deenergized or less than 30V. But the Navy doesn't consider those two cases "electrical work."

Thanks for the info...as a sub 'trician...I always had coveralls on so it never came up...

Course that begs the question...is it really a "working uniform" at that point...but I digress.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Thanks for the info...as a sub 'trician...I always had coveralls on so it never came up...

Course that begs the question...is it really a "working uniform" at that point...but I digress.
Its only a recent requirement... one which no one understood why it was implemented, but now that the Navy knew NWUs aren't flame resistand for over 2 yrs, it makes sense.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As far as hot water causing burns in a fire, even FFEs don't protect against that. As I mentioned before, numerous Sailors in the Miami fire got burns from the scalding water falling on their flash hoods, which are flame resistant.

I'm talking about steam, not hot water. HUGE difference. Kneeling in hot water and having it drip on you sucks...a lot. BTDT. Getting steamed out while fighting a fire in a confined space can kill you in a matter of seconds. The steam will push right through your gear and melt any poly/nylon you're wearing right to your skin...often with no damage to the FFE. Just because it hasn't happened yet on a ship doesn't mean that NWU is an acceptable undergarment for FF/DC.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Great points guys.... You're overlooking the most basic reason why this uniform is a piece of shit: it's digital blue camouflage!

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget that whatever incredibly ridiculous benefit you get from having a crew all wearing spiffy NWUs is much more important than the precious minutes required to don something much more suitable for fighting a fire...should one break out.

Remember. Safety third.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Great points guys.... You're overlooking the most basic reason why this uniform is a piece of shit: it's digital blue camouflage!

"Oh, I'm sure that will help you guys hide behind all those blue shrubberies out in the ocean." - My mother, the first time she saw someone in NWUs.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Have to say I'm not a fan of the NWU. Doesn't look "sailorish" at all. Nothing was wrong with the old dungarees and a white hat. That screamed tradition and history. WTF do we need to hide from on the ocean that we need camo? I mean going with straight up dark blue would have looked better than that camo pattern.

KBayDog

...off the shelf purchase too it looks like...

We can't have that!

You're absolutely heartless, 707. With proven COTS purchases, how else would we be able to justify standing up and manning such mission-critical units as "Task Force Uniform"? Think of all the fitrep bullets, awards, and per diem you'd be shorting our Sailors...

Oh...and while you're at it, think of the well-connected prior Navy-types who whose pockets won't be lined with sweet multimillion-dollar uniform contracts. Are you going to be the one to look their children in the eyes and tell them that Santa won't be flying them to Hawaii in their G5 again this year?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I guess I am traditional and heartless...(said with my white hat cocked to the side and a cigarette hanging from my mouth...)

Wait one...I see an opportunity here...maybe I can market a flame retardant solid blue NWU to the Navy....yeah that's it...I'm prior Navy - I just need the connections! I'll even go so far as to appeal to "jointness" and throw in a bunch of reflective belts for free!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Have to say I'm not a fan of the NWU. Doesn't look "sailorish" at all. Nothing was wrong with the old dungarees and a white hat. That screamed tradition and history. WTF do we need to hide from on the ocean that we need camo? I mean going with straight up dark blue would have looked better than that camo pattern.
Most of the gripes re old uniforms revolved around the fit for pants and the CPO with nothing to do but harrass an E4 getting gas bc it didn't fit the CPOs definition of a quick stop.

The solution was apparently spending millions on blue digicam. Makes perfect sense.