• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
There is no such stitching on my 1979 issue G1. Do they still have the vertical tiny hole punched "USN" on the draft flap behind the zipper?
They do according to the pictures that I have seen. I know Cooper made jackets and maybe one or so other manufacturers skipped out on the horizontal line stitching.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you are pedantic about the little things like me, the Cockpit USA doesn't have that stitched horizontal line at the bottom of the zipper like the current issue jackets, and the pocket shape is off. But, its easily available and I've heard the hide quality is decent (also comes in tall if like me, youre shaped like slenderman).
What's your concern about different stitching? Accuracy to "spec", uniformity, or something else?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
What's your concern about different stitching? Accuracy to "spec", uniformity, or something else?
A little bit of both. My current API issue jacket has the horizontal line that Griz posted. While I realize that many past jackets don't have that line, I want to match the current and recent issues which do, as best as possible within reason.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A little bit of both. My current API issue jacket has the horizontal line that Griz posted. While I realize that many past jackets don't have that line, I want to match the current and recent issues which do, as best as possible within reason.
To each his own, but I question whether the presence or absence of a small horizontal line next to the zipper is “within reason.” Does it DO anything? Otherwise, that’s bordering on saying “your shoes can’t just be Oxfords; they have to have a foam sole just like the Bates ones do.”

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or if you want to go against current issue and go for something more “original,” try Eastman Leather. I have their G-1 and it’s fantastic.
https://www.eastmanleather.com/usn-eastman-jackets/182-eastman-g-1.html

You can order them in the US through History Preservation Associates:
https://www.historypreservation.com...sn-g-1-intermediate-flying-jacket-spec-55j14/

Otherwise I’ll second the recommendation for Aero Leather. I don’t have a G-1 from them, but I have experience with their Highwayman and Long Half Belt jackets. I liked the LHB so much that I bought a second one. They are a family-owned company and I have had excellent service from them (especially from Holly).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Or if you want to go against current issue and go for something more “original,” try Eastman Leather. I have their G-1 and it’s fantastic.
https://www.eastmanleather.com/usn-eastman-jackets/182-eastman-g-1.html

You can order them in the US through History Preservation Associates:
https://www.historypreservation.com...sn-g-1-intermediate-flying-jacket-spec-55j14/

Otherwise I’ll second the recommendation for Aero Leather. I don’t have a G-1 from them, but I have experience with their Highwayman and Long Half Belt jackets. I liked the LHB so much that I bought a second one. They are a family-owned company and I have had excellent service from them (especially from Holly).
We need to talk. Would love to hear more about your aero leather jackets. I've been eyeing one for years and have been reluctant to pull the trigger because I've never seen one in person. I've also been eyeing taylor stitch/golden bears Moto jacket.

Renegade One

None
My "uneducated guess" is that the horizontal stitched line under discussion above is simply a (random?) "economy" decision...this particular piece of leather is 2 inches too short to do it one-piece, so we'll tack on the little drop-down feature on this jacket. Or maybe they do it for a whole run, I dunno.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Turns out there's a few things Google dosen't know, or is just hard to find.

Is there a patch/sewing shop in Corpus that's comparable to wings and things in Pensacola? I'm looking for a few more patches I haven't been able to find online and will need someone to do a lot heavy duty sewing when I find them.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I googled Corpus Sewing services. You may also want to talk to your squadron PR shop....that might be an option.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Turns out there's a few things Google dosen't know, or is just hard to find.

Is there a patch/sewing shop in Corpus that's comparable to wings and things in Pensacola? I'm looking for a few more patches I haven't been able to find online and will need someone to do a lot heavy duty sewing when I find them.
Motorcycle leather shops usually do a good job. Should be a couple in CC. Cycle plaza or CC H-D could tell you where the locals go.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Tipsy Gypsy patches look great...but there’s something to the worn in and matted down embroidered patches from the “before time”.