• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

wavehunter2014

Hi everyone,

Long time reader/thread skulker/G-1 Jacket Collector, first time poster.

Is there anyone in this thread/community interested in doing a sale or maybe a trade if they own a Size 40 Regular DSCP/DLA Excelled Labeled G-1?

Below is a list of jackets that I have multiple sizes or willing to sell/trade:
  1. NWOT Size 42 Pharr w/ DSCP Label
  2. NWOT Size 44 Excelled w/DSCP Label
  3. NWT Size 46 Pharr w/ DSCP Label
  4. Used but Excellent Condition Size 40 Pharr w/ DSCP Label, however nameplate velcro was removed
  5. Used but Good Condition Size 40 Excelled No DSCP Label
  6. Used a couple times Size 40 Excelled, No DSCP Label, however it has the old Excelled + Eagle Label
*All waistbands/cuffs/collar are in spectacular condition (no moth holes).

I'm testing out doing private sales/trades on here vs. using the 'bay, offerup, etc. My reasons for wanting to do private sales/trades: 1) this community has an appreciation for the jackets and 2) the selling fees on all of those sites get onerous.

Direct message me for details/photos/etc.

Thanks!

wavehunter2014

Humm. One jacket advertised as a Vietnam era CWU-45 has a 1980s VS squadron and Viking should patch on it.

Ha. Did notice a few mis-labeled things in his store; however the store owner is pretty easy to deal with if you are looking for something specific that's not listed in his store. I just asked for photos/answers from detailed questions to ensure I know what I'm buying.

Hello, does anyone have a sewing shop recommendation In VA Beach/Norfolk? Looking to get my nametag sewn on to my leather jacket. A previous recommendation was for Bikers Depot which is now permanently closed. Have also tried Dolphin International and they are no longer sewing leather jackets.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hello, does anyone have a sewing shop recommendation In VA Beach/Norfolk? Looking to get my nametag sewn on to my leather jacket. A previous recommendation was for Bikers Depot which is now permanently closed. Have also tried Dolphin International and they are no longer sewing leather jackets.
Your PRs will do a good job. Just ask the PRC for the best on the seawall and offer some cumshaw for high quality work. Granted they won't be able to open up the liner but over to you if that matters a lot (mine wasn't opened and I don't think it really matters). If it does you'll need to find someone else, maybe a good tailor or another bike shop.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I'd call around and try to find a motorcycle shop that does leather sewing often. With one third of Naval Aviation in the tidewater area, someone's gotta be doing it.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I had a luggage repair store do my jacket. They opened up the liner to stitch it on, and they did a good job resealing it. I chose a luggage repair location because they primarily dealt with leather suitcases, and leather bags already. I knew they would have the heavy duty needles and were experienced with the material.

OscarMyers

None

I had my leather done at Grace monogram and alterations in the hilltop plaza in VB. Opened up the liner and all. Did a real nice job.

scs_mh60

Quick question:
Prior aircrewman, now commissioned but not aviation. I still rate my wings and my record still has the NEC mentioned in the leather jacket instruction. Acceptable to wear my issued G-1 in khakis? Uniform regs are ambiguous on my situation.

I also noticed it doesn’t specifically authorize warrant officers to wear the leather jacket, which seems like a mistake.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick question:
Prior aircrewman, now commissioned but not aviation. I still rate my wings and my record still has the NEC mentioned in the leather jacket instruction. Acceptable to wear my issued G-1 in khakis? Uniform regs are ambiguous on my situation.

I also noticed it doesn’t specifically authorize warrant officers to wear the leather jacket, which seems like a mistake.
You are absolutely authorized to wear it. I know several former Enlisted Aircrew that are now LDO or CWO and they wear both green and leather flight jackets and no one questions them. If questioned, just point to the GOLD wings and tell them you earned it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Quick question:

If you were issued it, you rate it.