• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

BlkPny

pilot
Leather Jackets

Following a one-year tour in Viet Nam, and the placing of many, many colorful but distateful patches on my leather jacket (the only jacket we were issued), got orders to a USAF staff in Germaany. They felt that my jacket was too "colorful" for USAF operations, so they DIRECTED me to get a new one. Flew down to Naples, where I was given a new "slick". Still have both of them.
I like the slick, but I have to admit I LOVE the original. Wouldn't trade the jacket and patches for anything. Years after you young guys quit flying, looking at you jacket will always bring a smile.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Most guys in my experience put at least a leather name tag w/wings on the leather jacket and an American flag on the shoulder --- later I found that a good idea was to do the name tag with a firm velcro backing as I got promoted --- made it easier on the PR's and the jacket.

Non-Aviators sporting the USN G-1 flight jacket usually means they have a good comshaw artist supply officer or chief.

Cumshaw. Photos to follow along with original CTF 77 patch, O-boat Patch and American Flag with 48 stars.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
Cumshaw. Photos to follow along with original CTF 77 patch, O-boat Patch and American Flag with 48 stars.
Yeah, but I have a speech impediment ... Comshaw is the best I can do .... standing by for pix while basking in the Territory's warm glow. :) Too much ALOHA .....

and .... I think you're right. It's "CUMSHAW" ... i.e., like the "tip" or "gratuity". Where did that term come from. Sound SOMETHING like a slang Chinese word that presently escapes me ....

.....oh, well .... BOY !!! BOY !!! CHOP CHOP !!!! BRING ME ANOTHER MA'I TA'I !!! CHOP CHOP !!!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
... Where did that term come from. Sound SOMETHING like a slang Chinese word that presently escapes me

Being the self professed king of cumshaw, think Cantonese meaning "gift, present, gratuity"; Navy meaning "trading material".

Cannot remember what I exchanged for the jacket in 1956. Is a G-1, made under Army Air Corps Contract, think 1948. Millions of miles, webbing is about gone, lining is falling apart, and a Marine Major offered not to cause me great bodily harm if I would give him the two MAF (III & IV) patches, that I obviously did not earn! Bought him another drink instead.

Flag is not the original. Gotta go find my 48 star field flag.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
A4sForever said:
.....oh, well .... BOY !!! BOY !!! CHOP CHOP !!!! BRING ME ANOTHER MA'I TA'I !!! CHOP CHOP !!!

"Grandpa over on table 12 wants another one...just give it to him, it'll keep him quiet." :)
/threadjack

East

东部
Contributor
The Chief said:
Being the self professed king of cumshaw, think Cantonese meaning "gift, present, gratuity"; Navy meaning "trading material".

Cannot remember what I exchanged for the jacket in 1956. Is a G-1, made under Army Air Corps Contract, think 1948. Millions of miles, webbing is about gone, lining is falling apart, and a Marine Major offered not to cause me great bodily harm if I would give him the two MAF (III & IV) patches, that I obviously did not earn! Bought him another drink instead.

Flag is not the original. Gotta go find my 48 star field flag.

Thanx Chief for displaying your piece of ancient History. Does enlisted USN personell also wear nametags in the non-aviation community?

In the Air Force we have the crewchief-crest, where underneath your name/rank/branch is stamped, on a leather nametag. I know USN NAC have a full USN Aircrew wing, but how is that with the Plane Captains/Crew Chiefs?? Also have see some USMC groundcrews in the past with black tags just with the anchor/globe/eagle on their leather nametag...

Thanx again for showing yours anyway! Great stuff, keep 'em coming!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
Being the self professed king of cumshaw, think Cantonese meaning "gift, present, gratuity" ......

Got it now .... the word is "Gamsia" .... shey-shey, Chief China-sailorman. :icon_mi_1

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Got it now .... the word is "Gamsia" .... shey-shey, Chief China-sailorman. :icon_mi_1

Most welcome!

If it is west of, say, California and East of Kunming, I probably been there at one time or another.

End Threadjack!

I have been told the the G-1 jacket was first designed by the Army Air Corps in 1938, with little change since. No source.

I believe the one I have was issued in 1950 at USNA. Think that until about Class of 2002, USNA grads going to Pensacola were issued G-1s after selection.

East

东部
Contributor
Chief,

Does this mean when you screw-up in Pensacola, you have to turn in the jacket? Or are you allowed to keep it while dropping out of flight-school?
That would probably clarify seeing Naval Officers wearing G-1s as non-Aviotors.... :confused:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Suggestion: keep your leather jacket relatively pristine and "virgin" and load up the Nomex's with patches ..... years from now you will be glad you did it that way.

Exactly what I did. I've worn out several green nomex jackets, but still have a sweet leather jacket I can wear anytime and anywhere. Including on base with a uniform.

That cool "U.S Naval Aviation" with wings on it patch on your new leather jacket wll start to look dorky in the FRS....and so forth...today's mantra..."Save the Leather."

East

东部
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Exactly what I did. I've worn out several green nomex jackets, but still have a sweet leather jacket I can wear anytime and anywhere. Including on base with a uniform.

No nametag attached as well?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
No nametag...no holes.
Same here. Have my original 1990 jacket sans holes or patches of any kind. I did get the modified furry collar and extra pockets put on when I was in Turkey though.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nkawtg said:
Chief,

Does this mean when you screw-up in Pensacola, you have to turn in the jacket? Or are you allowed to keep it while dropping out of flight-school?
That would probably clarify seeing Naval Officers wearing G-1s as non-Aviotors.... :confused:

I believe if you attrite, you owe the Navy your jacket back.