• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade One

None
A US Army UH-1H "Huey", a Vietnam vet and one of only nine airworthy airframes remaining on the books, flying as "EVAL 89"
Certainly one of the "iconic" aircraft of the Vietnam war. Am surprised there are so few remaining…unless you specifically mean the UH-1H variant…since they are still widely flying in the USMC and elsewhere…I think.

What is it about the Huey's blades that make it sound so different from other 2-bladed RW aircraft? I can still tell when a Huey variant is flying over the house on its way to/from SDM here in San Diego. Nothing else seems to sound the same.

Renegade One

None
Dude, just messing with you....R1, on the other hand, flew real Pterodactyls. :D
Only the "D" models…the “most aerodynamically perfect” Pterodactyl variant ever built. They were better-known, in pop-culture and several TV/movie portrayals, as "Terror-dactyls".

For you history buffs: The "Deltas" retained the characteristic double-ogive forward fuselage hull form and the “area rule” (e.g., Coke bottle shape) configuration of the early-production Pterodactyls from which they were derived, but also possessed all-flush riveting with composite carbon-glass matrix overlay for heat dissipation. The standard Airco-Vickers & Blohm 16-cylinder (in vee configuration) Mega-Merlin powerplants (which power the stock "Ptero" variants) were also replaced with the brand new, highly derivative (and so far secret) V-20 (in X-configutation for improved over-the nose visibility) Jordan-Jumo-Daimler liquid nitrogen-cooled Gandalf engines. The addition of NFOs to the community (known as RIOs, or, more commonly: R-TEN Units) was required by the addition to the Delta models of RIO-operated/turret mounted Webley-Oerlikon 60 MM “Hell Hammer” cannon systems, which supplemented the standard, pilot-controlled Browning-Vickers 30 MM “Cloud Sweeper” gatling guns found in the standard A, B and C models.

And now you know…the REST of the story. :D

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
Certainly one of the "iconic" aircraft of the Vietnam war. Am surprised there are so few remaining…unless you specifically mean the UH-1H variant…since they are still widely flying in the USMC and elsewhere…I think.

What is it about the Huey's blades that make it sound so different from other 2-bladed RW aircraft? I can still tell when a Huey variant is flying over the house on its way to/from SDM here in San Diego. Nothing else seems to sound the same.
The HMX-1 VH-3s, various flavors of 60s, and the USCG Dauphins that roam the DC airspace all have a distinct sound, but your right R1, the USAF VIP UH-1s out of Andrews have a very unique sound.
http://www.freesound.org/people/OroborosNZ/sounds/157722/

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yep...they do exist...

Damn dude, you are flying a dinosaur.

If I fly a dinosaur, what does that make your steed? :) I just watched about 10 gallons of dino fuel drain from the wingfold of your hog as they were spreading on cat 1 :) As much as I am glad the god's of Naval Aviation saved me from my own desires, the old drumstick is sexy in a weird way....so I'm not hating.

Anyway, I don't believe that buno 168xxx has been made yet. Until I see it, I wont believe it :p

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I fly a dinosaur, what does that make your steed? :) I just watched about 10 gallons of dino fuel drain from the wingfold of your hog as they were spreading on cat 1 :) As much as I am glad the god's of Naval Aviation saved me from my own desires, the old drumstick is sexy in a weird way....so I'm not hating.

Anyway, I don't believe that buno 168xxx has been made yet. Until I see it, I wont believe it :p
I retired before my airframe retired. :p

I've know lots of guys that had to transition from various platforms including A-6, F-14, S-3, H-2, H-3, H-46. I was not one of them...thankfully.

HueyCobra8151

pilot

Unfortunately, that iconic sound was lost when Bell upgraded the Hueys to 4-bladed models. They do get the sound of more 'splosions per sortie though, so all in all, maybe it's a wash.

Renegade One

None
Unfortunately, that iconic sound was lost when Bell upgraded the Hueys to 4-bladed models. They do get the sound of more 'splosions per sortie though, so all in all, maybe it's a wash.
But seriously…why does a Huey ALWAYS sound different from a Jet Ranger, or a Cobra, or whatever?

Pags

N/A
pilot

Check the helos.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But seriously…why does a Huey ALWAYS sound different from a Jet Ranger, or a Cobra, or whatever?

The blade cord and airfoil shape. It's a fat blade with a specific shape that seems to cause the tips to snap a lot more than others. The 206 has a smaller cord. The Cobra is close, but I agree, the Huey is still the "singular" sound.

FWIW, I can usually tell a -60 from it's tail rotor. I always find it interesting how each aircraft has it's own sound when you get used to it. The 206 has a distinctive T/R sound, as well.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The Dolphin has a pretty distinct sound itself from that tail rotor and the -53 also has a unique sound. Chinooks sound pretty cool, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.