• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The blade cord and airfoil shape. It's a fat blade with a specific shape that seems to cause the tips to snap a lot more than others. The 206 has a smaller cord. The Cobra is close, but I agree, the Huey is still the "singular" sound.

FWIW, I can usually tell a -60 from it's tail rotor. I always find it interesting how each aircraft has it's own sound when you get used to it. The 206 has a distinctive T/R sound, as well.
Each helo on the boat has its own unique sound. You could tell how the airplan was going by sound alone.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Each helo on the boat has its own unique sound. You could tell how the airplan was going by sound alone.

Yeah, absolutely. I should have clarified...even something as generic as a -60 (unlike the ones mentioned above) has it's own sound. Basically I'm just saying what you guys already said.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
B
Dinosaur BuNo Dick Measuring Contest

Hah, I flew 131XXX TV-2s thru 140XXX T-28s in TraCom; and 131XXX FJ-4s thru 149XXX A-4Cs in the fleet. That's elderly...;)
BzB
BusyBee - not to measure or anything, however UC-45J #12388. Now that appears to be 1 number short, but that's how it's listed in the old log book. The oldest F-4 BuNo i could find was 149418.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
B

BusyBee - not to measure or anything, however UC-45J #12388. Now that appears to be 1 number short, but that's how it's listed in the old log book. The oldest F-4 BuNo i could find was 149418.
OMG, that 'BugSmasher' musta' been born during, or pre-WWII? I think it was 1 number short becaus 6 digit BuNos were still way in the future.

Your Phantom block re: 149418, was of a block very close to A-4C BusyBee 604, (149567), the Scooter I jettisoned.:(
604 Painting.jpg
BzB

Renegade One

None
Dinosaur BuNo Dick Measuring Contest
Oldest NAVY BuNo in my log book is only 142491. But I have another early "tail" listed only as 51-5124, a USAF designation. "seconded" to Navy service with VT-10 in the very early '70s. I dunno…feeling a little "short" right now… :(

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oldest NAVY BuNo in my log book is only 142491. But I have another early "tail" listed only as 51-5124, a USAF designation. "seconded" to Navy service with VT-10 in the very early '70s. I dunno…feeling a little "short" right now… :(
Recall you mentioned several months back, about flying in this beast back in your flight training days. Being as how it's in retirement now in an AZ Museum, you mentioned something about leaving a few full 'barf bags' stashed in the SNFO compartment back in the day, NO?:eek::D
BzB

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Certainly one of the "iconic" aircraft of the Vietnam war. Am surprised there are so few remaining…unless you specifically mean the UH-1H variant…since they are still widely flying in the USMC and elsewhere…I think.

Yes sir, you are correct - I specifically meant the UH-1H variant, and specifically in US Army service. There are three airworthy airframes in Huntsville, three at White Sands, and three at another location I forgot about.. The Army has massive parts warehouses at all three and they are very affordable test platforms flown by a contracted pilot/ crew chief team. I wanted to pitch a "last Huey's in the Army" photo essay to a friend with magazine connections, but he said that there have been so many 'last Huey' stories over the years that magazine editors are burned out on them - they always find another obscure unit somewhere flying a UH-1..

Our local airport manager called his father to come out to see the aircraft while the crew was at lunch. He flew the Huey (UH-1D?) from 1967-1969 in Vietnam as a young Army officer and amassed over 1000 hours flying. He said that since they had a small side armor door, the crews oftentimes took their chicken plates off and laid them underneath the rudder pedals over the glass in order to protect themselves from ground fire. Another story he told was that a South Vietnamese soldier (a VC sympathizer) was being taken in to a hot LZ, and after dismounting from the aircraft he turned around and hurled a grenade back into the Huey killing the crew and destroying the aircraft. After that, his command dictated that they brief all their passengers not to turn around or even even look back as they exited the aircraft or else the door gunners would shoot them. Apparently it worked, as it never happened again.

He was just leaving Vietnam as the UH-1H was introduced into service in his area, but after examining the aircraft he said that "it still looks exactly the same".

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
Recall you mentioned several months back, about flying in this beast back in your flight training days. Being as how it's in retirement now in an AZ Museum, you mentioned something about leaving a few full 'barf bags' stashed in the SNFO compartment back in the day, NO?:eek::D
BzB
Didn't stash 'em on purpose…but they had a way of crawling, amoeba-like, when not secured...

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
F-5L.jpg

F-5L flying boats of the Pacific Fleet Air Detachment pictured at Salina Cruz, Mexico, in January 1921, ninety-three years ago this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.