• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

MotorCookie

I need help understanding the refractive limits for aviation.

According to the NAMI Aviation Physical Standards document, "Refractive Limits: Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be
recorded in minus cylinder format
."

Now this is worrying because when converting my prescription to "minus cylinder format" one of my eyes has a prescription of -7 and -1.5, which puts me at -8.5, and that is over the refraction limit. However, according to the NAMI PRK requirements document, the limits are +3.00 to -8.00 SE. SE stands for spherical equivalent, and the SE formula is to take the cylinder number, divide it by 2, then add it to the sphere number. So my prescription ends up being -7.75 (-7 and -0.75) which is within the limits. The interesting thing is this PRK document does not mention if it uses "minus cylinder format" or "plus cylinder format". If I use the original prescription my doctor gave me (-8.50 Cyl: +1.50), I still end up with -7.75.

All of this is very confusing and I am not sure which document to listen to. I already had PRK done so I no longer have this ridiculously strong prescription, but I know being over the limits before surgery is still disqualifying. The first document I linked does not take into account "SE", but the PRK document does. Super worried and confused.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

According to the NAMI Aviation Physical Standards document, "Refractive Limits: Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be
."

Now this is worrying because when converting my prescription to "minus cylinder format" one of my eyes has a prescription of -7 and -1.5, which puts me at -8.5, and that is over the refraction limit. However, according to the NAMI PRK requirements document, the limits are +3.00 to -8.00 SE. SE stands for spherical equivalent, and the SE formula is to take the cylinder number, divide it by 2, then add it to the sphere number. So my prescription ends up being -7.75 (-7 and -0.75) which is within the limits. The interesting thing is this PRK document does not mention if it uses "minus cylinder format" or "plus cylinder format". If I use the original prescription my doctor gave me (-8.50 Cyl: +1.50), I still end up with -7.75.

All of this is very confusing and I am not sure which document to listen to. I already had PRK done so I no longer have this ridiculously strong prescription, but I know being over the limits before surgery is still disqualifying. The first document I linked does not take into account "SE", but the PRK document does. Super worried and confused.
Call NAMI and ask. I'm certain they can help clarify.
Telephone(Local): (770) 396-3898
Telephone(Toll-Free): 800-917-2081

exNavyOffRec

."

Let your recruiter do his job and submit your medical documents to MEPS and then N3M for review, they will be able to understand that info to see if you are able to meet basic entry requirements to be a USN officer. They will also be able to tell if you are able to be cleared to be a SNA.

Since you are a civilian you need to clear N3M then NAMI will look at your info.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Let your recruiter do his job and submit your medical documents to MEPS and then N3M for review, they will be able to understand that info to see if you are able to meet basic entry requirements to be a USN officer. They will also be able to tell if you are able to be cleared to be a SNA.

Since you are a civilian you need to clear N3M then NAMI will look at your info.

Unless something's changed the past few years, it was a big no-no for civilian applicants to contact NAMI directly. The except is Fleet/enlisted applicants who are already in.

Mouselovr

Contributor
It was a big no-no for anyone to contact NAMI while I was an officer candidate in Newport.

However, I watched a guy in my class get DQed from SNA at OCS after spending a month in student pool, despite perfect vision, bc his eyes pre-lasik eyes were too bad. He was a prior and his lasik surgery done in house on tricare. He was approved by every authority up to that point, then turned down by NAMI with no prior indications this would be a problem.

So yes, try to get that question answered. Ideally, go through your recruiter and BEFORE you get to OCS. No one can throw the book at you yet and you’d only be wasting your own time if you’d ultimately disqualify.

Last edited:

MotorCookie

Unless something's changed the past few years, it was a big no-no for civilian applicants to contact NAMI directly. The except is Fleet/enlisted applicants who are already in.
It was a big no-no for anyone to contact NAMI while I was an officer candidate in Newport.

I didn't call but I ended up sending an email to the "Bureau of Medicine and Surgery" which they have listed at the footer of the NAMI website for "General Navy Medical Inquiries". Hopefully, that isn't a no-no either haha. Though I wonder why civilians aren't allowed to contact NAMI in the first place.

Let your recruiter do his job and submit your medical documents to MEPS and then N3M for review

Ideally, go through your recruiter and BEFORE you get to OCS
Yeah looks like that's what I am going to have to do. It's a shame the Navy doesn't do flight physicals before OCS. Thanks for the help though!

exNavyOffRec

I didn't call but I ended up sending an email to the "Bureau of Medicine and Surgery" which they have listed at the footer of the NAMI website for "General Navy Medical Inquiries". Hopefully, that isn't a no-no either haha. Though I wonder why civilians aren't allowed to contact NAMI in the first place.

Yeah looks like that's what I am going to have to do. It's a shame the Navy doesn't do flight physicals before OCS. Thanks for the help though!
Do you have a recruiter? Have you been to MEPS? Everything has a process and you need to learn to follow that process if you are going to be in the military.

Emailing is still contacting and still a no-no, if you do have a recruiter they very well could catch crap over this. I saw this first hand when a civilian applicant contacted NAMI directly, the applicant didn't get any indication from NAMI this wasn't allowed, but NAMI contacted N3M, who contacted NRC, then CNRC called the CO asking why is this applicant contacting NAMI, then the CO asked AOPS the same question who asked the AOCR, who then asked the recruiter, in the end it made the recruiter look like he wasn't doing his job.

You could be placing yourself in a very awkward situation.

exNavyOffRec

However, I watched a guy in my class get DQed from SNA at OCS after spending a month in student pool, despite perfect vision, bc his eyes pre-lasik eyes were too bad. He was a prior and his lasik surgery done in house on tricare. He was approved by every authority up to that point, then turned down by NAMI with no prior indications this would be a problem.

So yes, try to get that question answered. Ideally, go through your recruiter and BEFORE you get to OCS. No one can throw the book at you yet and you’d only be wasting your own time if you’d ultimately disqualify.
That is odd, normally that catch that prior to a PQ letter being issued, I had several that were DQ that way. I wonder if it slipped through and they were looking at all options prior to crushing that person's dreams.

Fun fact: if you want to be a nuke they will generally waive the limits.

MotorCookie

Do you have a recruiter? Have you been to MEPS? Everything has a process and you need to learn to follow that process if you are going to be in the military.

Emailing is still contacting and still a no-no, if you do have a recruiter they very well could catch crap over this. I saw this first hand when a civilian applicant contacted NAMI directly, the applicant didn't get any indication from NAMI this wasn't allowed, but NAMI contacted N3M, who contacted NRC, then CNRC called the CO asking why is this applicant contacting NAMI, then the CO asked AOPS the same question who asked the AOCR, who then asked the recruiter, in the end it made the recruiter look like he wasn't doing his job.

You could be placing yourself in a very awkward situation.
I do have a recruiter but have not been to MEPS yet. I just assumed it would be easier/faster to get an answer ASAP rather than have my recruiter do a lot of work only for me to be disqualified in the end. That story is a bit concerning and I hope my recruiter doesn't get into trouble because of me.

exNavyOffRec

I do have a recruiter but have not been to MEPS yet. I just assumed it would be easier/faster to get an answer ASAP rather than have my recruiter do a lot of work only for me to be disqualified in the end. That story is a bit concerning and I hope my recruiter doesn't get into trouble because of me.
If you haven't been to MEPS your info won't be in any system, so probably no way to identify the NRD/NTAG, but also doubtful they will tell you anything as you will probably need a consult.

It is the recruiters job to do that work, as long as there is a chance you are qualified he needs to do what he can to help you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Just like in the civilian sector it’s a recruiters job to be your single source of communication during the process.

Mouselovr

Contributor
That is odd, normally that catch that prior to a PQ letter being issued, I had several that were DQ that way. I wonder if it slipped through and they were looking at all options prior to crushing that person's dreams.

Worked out for the guy. He’s now a very happy intel officer. Soul crushing at the time though

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

From my understanding doesn’t N3M review your medical and if they believe you won’t be approved for aviation they will state that on your PQ letter? I’ve seen a few people on here say that.

MotorCookie

That is odd, normally that catch that prior to a PQ letter being issued, I had several that were DQ that way.
From my understanding doesn’t N3M review your medical and if they believe you won’t be approved for aviation they will state that on your PQ letter? I’ve seen a few people on here say that.
So just to confirm, if your pre-op vision doesn't make the requirements you should be DQ'd prior to going to OCS, right? The story Mouselovr gave sounds like a nightmare but I'm assuming that situation is rare

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
So just to confirm, if your pre-op vision doesn't make the requirements you should be DQ'd prior to going to OCS, right? The story Mouselovr gave sounds like a nightmare but I'm assuming that situation is rare

I had PRK but I was way within the limits. I had to have my eye surgeon fill out the waiver with my pre op refractions and post up eye test numbers. He signed it

Then I submitted the waiver to MEPS then it got passed along to N3M and I got my PQ letter