• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Corrected versus uncorrected is for lenses (contacts or glasses). Pre-op =|||= uncorrected. The operation changes your uncorrected vision.

eng236

do they give waivers for student naval aviators for the marines/navy? i am 20/40 20/20 corrected but astigmatism in left eye of 1.25 and right eye is 2.00 was wondering if waivers could allow me to be a pilot with these numbers

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
do they give waivers for student naval aviators for the marines/navy? i am 20/40 20/20 corrected but astigmatism in left eye of 1.25 and right eye is 2.00 was wondering if waivers could allow me to be a pilot with these numbers
I don’t think you qualify for SNA. Take the requirements below to an eye doctor and get a professional opinion.

I was 20/40 for my commissioning flight physical, by my astigmatism was 2x worse than max allowable for SNA, so I selected SNFO.

Section 1.6 of Physical Standards
All applicants for pilot training must meet Class I standards except as follows:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: Uncorrected visual acuity must not be less than 20/40 each eye, correctable to 20/20 each eye using a Sloan letter, crowded, eye chart (Goodlite). Vision testing procedures shall comply with those outlined on the Aerospace Reference and Waiver Guide Physical Exams section.
Refractive Limits: If uncorrected distant visual acuity is less than 20/20 either eye, a manifest refraction must be recorded for the correction required to attain 20/20. If the candidate’s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required. Total myopia may not be greater than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, total hyperopia no greater than +3.00 diopters in any meridian, or astigmatism no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format.
Cycloplegic Refraction: This is required for all candidates to determine the degree of spherical ametropia. The refraction should be performed to maximum plus correction to obtain best visual acuity. Due to the effect of lens aberrations with pupil dilation, visual acuity or astigmatic correction, which might disqualify the candidate, should be disregarded if the candidate meets the standards for visual acuity and astigmatism with manifest refraction.
A cycloplegic refraction should be performed at least 30 minutes after instillation of 2 gtts (5 minutes apart) 1% cyclopentolate.
Slit Lamp Examination: Required, and must demonstrate no pathology. Dilated Fundus Examination: Required, and must demonstrate no pathology.

eng236

I don’t think you qualify for SNA. Take the requirements below to an eye doctor and get a professional opinion.

I was 20/40 for my commissioning flight physical, by my astigmatism was 2x worse than max allowable for SNA, so I selected SNFO.

Section 1.6 of Physical Standards
did they give you the option to waiver for astigmatism or is there just no option for that in the navy? and do you regret picking snfo in any way? also. would getting lasik/prk allow me to be a sna i know they do have waivers for it but are they commonly given?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

did they give you the option to waiver for astigmatism or is there just no option for that in the navy? and do you regret picking snfo in any way? also. would getting lasik/prk allow me to be a sna i know they do have waivers for it but are they commonly given?
In every case I saw dealing with vision if you were out of limits it is a no go. I only saw a few LASIK waiver denied, as long as the person currently met the requirements there were generally good to go.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, I do not regret being an NFO. Loved it. No waivers for out of limits. PRK/LASIK was not an option back then. ALL eye surgery is disqualifying for flight status and requires a waiver. Seek counsel with your OR and eye doctor before pursuing eye surgery. I had a couple of students that got the surgery and got the waiver, but their eyesight was >20/100 and they were lifelong eyeglass wearers…bottom line if you aren’t correctable to 20/20, you are NPQ for any flight status jobs.

Mouselovr

Contributor
As long as you are or are within limits for the astigmatisms, you’re good.

Both my eyes are a perfect 20/20, but are legit *the limits* for astigmatism. Never knew my whole life.

As long as you’re correctable, no need for waivers or anything fancy. Astigmatisms do not typically degrade as you’re born with them. However, they’ll probably mandate a kick ass, government issued pair of glasses on you in the cockpit.

My line was “You could make me wear a clown nose and wig in that plane, and I don’t care as long as I get to fly.”

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To restate the obvious for folks starting out, go to an ophthalmologist and not the optometrist at Lenscrafters. Noting against optometrists, I've used them plenty and they were usually good at what they do, but an ophthalmologist is who you want to see for this stuff.

wonderb0iwl

Hey guys, I have 20/15 vision but slight astigmatism. I don't know the exact numbers but if it is greater than +/- 1.00 am I screwed for SNA? No waivers or anything? Or if it is correctable then I will be alright? And in general if you do get DQd for eyes, do they usually offer you NFO? That would be fine by me as long as I don't get sent home.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hey guys, I have 20/15 vision but slight astigmatism. I don't know the exact numbers but if it is greater than +/- 1.00 am I screwed for SNA? No waivers or anything? Or if it is correctable then I will be alright? And in general if you do get DQd for eyes, do they usually offer you NFO? That would be fine by me as long as I don't get sent home.
Pretty much everyone has a slight astigmatism. But again, it’s how great that curvature is that will dictate if you’re PQed or not. No one here can tell you with certainty except a doctor.

If you DQ from SNA for eyes, yes, they’ll put you up for NFO

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
You might want to go get them checked out before heading to OCS to have some peace of mind. If you're out of limits they'll try to redes you to NFO if you're eligible or SWO if you're not. I was right within limits at OCS for an astigmatism, and they still threatened to NPQ me and send me SWO. Thankfully it all worked out, and I didn't need a waiver.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
So I’ve got 20/20 but a slight astigmatism. -0.50 in my left eye and -0.25 in my right eye. I only wear my glasses when driving/ flying at night. It’s not even on my license that I need them nor my aviation medical. I know I’m good when it comes to SNA limits but my question is. Does the navy issue you a new prescription/ glasses or can you rock your civilian ones lol