• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

FlyBoy2269

Does anyone here have experience with getting a pilot slot with FLOATERS?

Hey guys, new member here. I’ve been trying to search this website for answers about my eye condition, however the most up to date thread I found was from like 2006.

Anyways, I have eye floaters in both eyes. I have never got diagnosed with anything, I don’t see flashes, but if I focus on them I can see them, however if I’m out driving or flying, I don’t really notice them unless I want to notice them. I have made it through FAA medical exams and regular eye exams with nothing even said about them.

However, I will also need lasik or PRK as my vision is around 20/50 BUT correctable to 20/20 with glasses.

TWO QUESTIONS:
1. Are floaters a DQ for SNA?

2. will having lasik/PRK done and having floaters be DQ? I know the navy accepts lasik/PRK, but idk about floaters? I don’t really want to disclose anything since I have never been diagnosed with anything related to my floaters, and I know you CAN get lasik or PRK with floaters as they are two separate parts of the eye.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Does anyone here have experience with getting a pilot slot with FLOATERS?

Hey guys, new member here. I’ve been trying to search this website for answers about my eye condition, however the most up to date thread I found was from like 2006.

Anyways, I have eye floaters in both eyes. I have never got diagnosed with anything, I don’t see flashes, but if I focus on them I can see them, however if I’m out driving or flying, I don’t really notice them unless I want to notice them. I have made it through FAA medical exams and regular eye exams with nothing even said about them.

However, I will also need lasik or PRK as my vision is around 20/50 BUT correctable to 20/20 with glasses.

TWO QUESTIONS:
1. Are floaters a DQ for SNA?

2. will having lasik/PRK done and having floaters be DQ? I know the navy accepts lasik/PRK, but idk about floaters? I don’t really want to disclose anything since I have never been diagnosed with anything related to my floaters, and I know you CAN get lasik or PRK with floaters as they are two separate parts of the eye.

Best bet go get a LASIK/PRK consultation they will run you through almost all the eye test if not the same eye test that NAMI will do. They won’t do it if you are not a candidate for LASIK because of them (don’t go to a shady place they’ll do it and screw your vision up even more)

PS. Most LASIK consults are free

FlyBoy2269

Best bet go get a LASIK/PRK consultation they will run you through almost all the eye test if not the same eye test that NAMI will do. They won’t do it if you are not a candidate for LASIK because of them (don’t go to a shady place they’ll do it and screw your vision up even more)

PS. Most LASIK consults are free
I did get a consultation and they said that my floaters are NOT a DQ for LASIK surgery. So, I guess my main question is if floaters are DQ for SNA.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I did get a consultation and they said that my floaters are NOT a DQ for LASIK surgery. So, I guess my main question is if floaters are DQ for SNA.
My gut feel is it’s not DQ, but that doesn’t answer your question. I would love to know more about this- I’ve had floaters my whole life and thought they were normal. Never been diagnosed with anything, and I’ve been flying professionally in the USN and as a civilian since 2005.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
My gut feel is it’s not DQ, but that doesn’t answer your question. I would love to know more about this- I’ve had floaters my whole life and thought they were normal. Never been diagnosed with anything, and I’ve been flying professionally in the USN and as a civilian since 2005.

Did the USN ever say anything about the floaters?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

I looked through the NAMI waiver guide/medical and never saw anything about floaters. I also looked for the medical term used for floaters and couldn’t find anything either.

MotorCookie

I also have floaters and have had them for as long as I can remember. I had PRK done last year as well. None of the ophthalmologists I went to ever mentioned the floaters and whenever I brought the topic up, they were quick to dismiss it. I’m assuming it’s because floaters aren’t a big deal and if you don’t have signs of a retinal detachment, then they aren’t something to be worried about.

Like Anthony2000 said, in the past I’ve searched everywhere for anything about military pilots and eye floaters. Nothing official came up and I have only read accounts from former and current pilots that said they had floaters but it’s never been an issue.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought everyone had floaters, it was just how noticeable they were to an individual.

iwrru

I had PRK but I was way within the limits. I had to have my eye surgeon fill out the waiver with my pre op refractions and post up eye test numbers. He signed it

Then I submitted the waiver to MEPS then it got passed along to N3M and I got my PQ letter
Not to be pedantic, just to be clear: if you were within the limits, it wasn't a "waiver," right? The waiver is for people outside of the limits. It was just some kind of declaration/documentation?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Not to be pedantic, just to be clear: if you were within the limits, it wasn't a "waiver," right? The waiver is for people outside of the limits. It was just some kind of declaration/documentation?
Correct. As long as you fall in the limits, you do not need a waiver.

Plenty of people decide to get PRK/LASIK (which does warrant a very easy waiver) despite being in the limits bc they are close and fear eventually falling outside, they don’t want to wear corrective lenses in the plane or they just want better eyesight…..

iwrru

Correct. As long as you fall in the limits, you do not need a waiver.

Plenty of people decide to get PRK/LASIK (which does warrant a very easy waiver) despite being in the limits bc they are close and fear eventually falling outside, they don’t want to wear corrective lenses in the plane or they just want better eyesight…..
Got it. So for people who had PRK/LASIK done but don’t need a waiver, what kind of actual documentation is submitted? Just the signed stuff from the eye surgeon that Anthony2000 was describing?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Got it. So for people who had PRK/LASIK done but don’t need a waiver, what kind of actual documentation is submitted? Just the signed stuff from the eye surgeon that Anthony2000 was describing?
If you had LASIK/PRK, you will need a waiver.
Waivers aren't a bad thing.
Bring ALL the paperwork related to the surgery when you go to your fight physical and docs will handle it from there.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
If you had LASIK/PRK, you will need a waiver.
Waivers aren't a bad thing.
Bring ALL the paperwork related to the surgery when you go to your fight physical and docs will handle it from there.

I needed a waiver and my eyes were -2.75 no astigmatism. On my PQ letter it just says history of LASIK ….