• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

speedroller

Rangers
Your signature indicates you had PRK 4 days ago. Your eyes will get better over the next few months. Give it some time.
Hi, yeah I did not go through with the procedure. I need to fix my signature. At this point I will proceed with what I have. Only concern is the 20/30 and 20/40 current eye status.

exNavyOffRec

Hi, yeah I did not go through with the procedure. I need to fix my signature. At this point I will proceed with what I have. Only concern is the 20/30 and 20/40 current eye status.

You need to ask yourself if you will be ok getting redesignated if you are found not to have good enough eyesight to be a SNA in OCS, you are borderline right now and if the answer is no then maybe you should re-think what you want to do.

speedroller

Rangers
You need to ask yourself if you will be ok getting redesignated if you are found not to have good enough eyesight to be a SNA in OCS, you are borderline right now and if the answer is no then maybe you should re-think what you want to do.
And I have considered that possibility too. My plan for now is to go back in a few weeks and check up on my eyes, and if the possible proble still persists then, yes, maybe I need to seek NFO pipeline.

slater44

None
@NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 I am hoping you might have some insight on this. I have heard that as of just a couple months ago, active duty fleet applicants for SNA/SNFO no longer need a full long form flight physical before submitting their package. Instead, I heard it's been changed to a regular commissioning physical, with anthropometric measurements and color vision included, with the long form physical occurring at OCS. Again, this would be for fleet applicants only. I have heard this from independent sources, including a friend who recently applied and got in (Oct board) and was told he was one of the final fleet applicants to do a long form flight physical before applying, and a PS1 at CNRC who told me I didn't need a long form flight physical to apply for SNA/SNFO.

I had PRK surgery 2.5 yrs ago, and got a waiver to enlist with a SpecWar contract. If applying for aviation, do I still need to get a waiver from NAMI before submitting? Or is that done at OCS now? I have scheduled a flight physical with a cycloplegic eye exam for this Tuesday, and I'd like to be able to advise the flight surgeon on what, if any, waivers I will need submitted. Very curious as I know the waivers can take months to clear NAMI, and will determine the timing of submitting the package. Thank you gentlemen.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does the instruction say? Any eye surgery is DQ for aviation, so yes, you'll need a waiver. I'm not sure I'd trust a PS1 on physical requirements unless he/she showed me the requirements in writing. Simple solution, ask the PS1 where you can find it in writing.

slater44

None
What does the instruction say? Any eye surgery is DQ for aviation, so yes, you'll need a waiver. I'm not sure I'd trust a PS1 on physical requirements unless he/she showed me the requirements in writing. Simple solution, ask the PS1 where you can find it in writing.
Thank you sir, I understand I will need a waiver no matter what for the PRK. However, I am looking for an answer regarding when I will need the waiver, whether it is before submitting the package, or at some point after that in the process. I will pursue the written instruction from the PS1 as well.

hugeyetti

Hey I have a question about depth perception, not sure if this has been answered before on this thread or not, so I apologize if it has been already. But at MEPS I got to "D" but missed one and the lady wrote down "C" on my depth perception. So I have to go get it tested at an eye doctor so I will be able to retest at MEPS one more time to try and get a "D" rating. Does anyone know of a waiver incase I do not get the "D" rating that can allow me to still go up for SNA board?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey I have a question about depth perception, not sure if this has been answered before on this thread or not, so I apologize if it has been already. But at MEPS I got to "D" but missed one and the lady wrote down "C" on my depth perception. So I have to go get it tested at an eye doctor so I will be able to retest at MEPS one more time to try and get a "D" rating. Does anyone know of a waiver incase I do not get the "D" rating that can allow me to still go up for SNA board?
You can try The Doctor Is In thread. Think our two medical officers are still around. That said, and not knowing what a "C" means, honestly, do you want to be flying without adequate depth perception? The Navy certainly doesn't. In all my years recruiting I never saw a depth perception waiver for SNA. Hope it works out for you.

hugeyetti

Gotcha. The letters were the levels at MEPS. Ill check out that thread, and ask around. Its just strange cause I have never had a depth perception problem while going through flight training, so I was just inquiring about it. :)

exNavyOffRec

The reason "C" was written down is that is the highest level at which you did not miss any.

There is no waiver for depth perception, what you are planning on doing is the way to do.

hugeyetti

The reason "C" was written down is that is the highest level at which you did not miss any.

There is no waiver for depth perception, what you are planning on doing is the way to do.

coolio, glad I am doing the right thing. Thats just the order of action that i read people have done before. I have my exam on tuesday. Hope it goes well! :)

nrodda90

SWOtivated
@NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 I am hoping you might have some insight on this. I have heard that as of just a couple months ago, active duty fleet applicants for SNA/SNFO no longer need a full long form flight physical before submitting their package. Instead, I heard it's been changed to a regular commissioning physical, with anthropometric measurements and color vision included, with the long form physical occurring at OCS. Again, this would be for fleet applicants only. I have heard this from independent sources, including a friend who recently applied and got in (Oct board) and was told he was one of the final fleet applicants to do a long form flight physical before applying, and a PS1 at CNRC who told me I didn't need a long form flight physical to apply for SNA/SNFO.

I had PRK surgery 2.5 yrs ago, and got a waiver to enlist with a SpecWar contract. If applying for aviation, do I still need to get a waiver from NAMI before submitting? Or is that done at OCS now? I have scheduled a flight physical with a cycloplegic eye exam for this Tuesday, and I'd like to be able to advise the flight surgeon on what, if any, waivers I will need submitted. Very curious as I know the waivers can take months to clear NAMI, and will determine the timing of submitting the package. Thank you gentlemen.
I was selected in June for the NFO pipeline and did not do the flight physical at MEPS…only did the medical physical if that helps anything.

hugeyetti

Well good news! Navy medical cleared my test I did with my local doctor. So now my kit is in, and I am just waiting on the next board meeting! :D Hopefully I am selected for a pilot slot. Fingers are sure crossed!

haimehhh

I have been receiving conflicting remarks about my color vision and PQ for communities, would anyone be able to provide any insight?

My situation is thus:

I pass the FALANT 9/9, but do not pass the Ishihara. A few others have mentioned to me that the FALANT is the be-all-end-all for defining 'normal color vision' in the Navy.
My OR says I am PQ for SWO but not SNA. But i have also read that any URL requires normal color vision.

U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide:

Color Vision: Must pass any one of the following two tests:
  1. FALANT or Optec 900: 9/9 correct on the first trial or, if any are missed, at least 16.18

correct on the combined second and third trials.

2. PIP color plates (Any red-green screening test with at least 14 diagnostic plates; see

manufacturer instructions for scoring information), randomly administered under Macbeth lamp: scoring plates 2-15, at least 12/14 correct.
The logic seems to say that if one is PQ, with normal color vision, for SWO, one would be for SNA, given that the FALANT is one of two potential deciders. If FALANT is not the decider and I am not PQ for SNA/NFO, does this mean I am also not PQ for SWO? Or can one have acceptable color vision for SWO, but have a degree of deficiency that is not acceptable for SNA/NFO (the Guide's language seems pretty black and white... pun intended)?

Thanks in advance,
James

edit: grammar

Camperman

Hi everybody, this "old" guy has a question about eyes. I'm at 20/100, 20/200, so I'd need some PRK to get SNA, which is my goal. I'm 29 presently and will be at least 30 by the time I'm commissioned. I am tempted to do PRK now and delay my application from as early as the July board into November or likely March to deal with the 6 month waiting period in hopes of a guaranteed air contract, but I'll be pushing 31. I could try for a competitive contract at TBS but I hear those are not going on at present. I figure with the surgery & training I'd finish advanced around 32 and fly into my mid 40's. The rest of my packet is in decent shape; this is my only hold up. Should I do PRK now, wait until I'm accepted to OCS, or even later?