• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

NCHopeful

Thanks, that's good to know. My stuff was not sent to N3M and is being held at MEPS because they wanted to do a consult first with an X-ray to make sure I don't have some other problem that could NPQ me, so before that happens I will go to a civilian eye doctor and try a few things. Funny how things work out sometimes.
If your medical is sent to N3M they will NPQ you for SNA, then NRC will pull you from the SNA board, so you need to get that civilian eye exam done BEFORE they send you medical info from MEPS to N3M

I went to MEPS and, though I was so exhausted I couldn't focus my eyes, managed 20/40 correctable to 20/20 vision in both eyes. However, I only got through B in Depth Perception. I've already submitted a package for the next board for SNA/SNFO. Do I need to get a civilian depth perception test done in order to attend OCS as an SNA? If I did get such a test done, what would I do with it afterwards? I'm thinking I would probably ace the test if I took it with glasses or weren't so damn tired after driving all night to MEPS.
I have always struggled with that standard depth perception test, but then I figured out that if I didn't focus on one target I did a lot better. I actually kind of get a thousand yard stare and one image will pop out a little. If I go back and forth like I used to I don't do so well.

NCHopeful

I have always struggled with that standard depth perception test, but then I figured out that if I didn't focus on one target I did a lot better. I actually kind of get a thousand yard stare and one image will pop out a little. If I go back and forth like I used to I don't do so well.

Thanks, I went to the civilian doc today and passed two of the approved depth perception tests to the Naval Aviation standard (40 arcseconds or less) and also found I had 20/15 distant visual acuity when using both eyes together and 20/20 in each individually. So, now I have this signed exam report that says I have perfect eyesight after failing at MEPS. I sent a copy to my OR, but I'm not sure if there's something else I should do with it.

jtmedli

pilot
Thanks, I went to the civilian doc today and passed two of the approved depth perception tests to the Naval Aviation standard (40 arcseconds or less) and also found I had 20/15 distant visual acuity when using both eyes together and 20/20 in each individually. So, now I have this signed exam report that says I have perfect eyesight after failing at MEPS. I sent a copy to my OR, but I'm not sure if there's something else I should do with it.

The civilian docs typically use different tests than the military and a letter from one of them is a good thing but the military wants to be the one that says you're good to go. MEPS =/= flight physical and the docs there =/= aviation medical.

For the depth perception cards, sometimes the best thing to do is look beyond the card (i.e. hold it halfway between your face and your lap and look over the card and your knee) and then it'll pop out at you. It's like one of those magic eye 'what do you see?' puzzles.

NCHopeful

The civilian docs typically use different tests than the military and a letter from one of them is a good thing but the military wants to be the one that says you're good to go. MEPS =/= flight physical and the docs there =/= aviation medical.

For the depth perception cards, sometimes the best thing to do is look beyond the card (i.e. hold it halfway between your face and your lap and look over the card and your knee) and then it'll pop out at you. It's like one of those magic eye 'what do you see?' puzzles.

Fair enough. I checked the list of approved depth perception tests for Naval Aviation in the Manual of the Medical Department and took two of those with the civilian doctor, both of the Stereo booklets with glasses the Navy approves, and the examination report specifies I exceeded the standard on the Randot test. The publication says "Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests: AFVT: at least A - D with no misses. Stereo booklet (Titmus Fly or
Randot): 40 arc second circles. Verhoeff: 8 of 8 correct on the first trial or. if any are missed, 16 of 16 correct on the combined second and third trials." Will I be able to request a Stereo booklet at a flight physical at OCS or in the fleet? I passed on both of those stereo books today since the glasses are a lot easier to use than the DMV-type machine at MEPS.

Nuknfuts

From what I remember, I tested with both the stereo booklet and the AFVT at the flight physical at OCS and the stereo booklet was the one they wrote down

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
Has anyone had experience with correcting hypertropia and/or exotropia with vision therapy? I am currently unable to pass any of the approved depth perception tests to the required standards because of a slight combination of the aforementioned conditions. My optometrist is issuing me at home vision therapy later this week in an attempt to correct this. Might be a long shot. Just curious if anyone here can relate.

Thanks!

jtmedli

pilot
Fair enough. I checked the list of approved depth perception tests for Naval Aviation in the Manual of the Medical Department and took two of those with the civilian doctor, both of the Stereo booklets with glasses the Navy approves, and the examination report specifies I exceeded the standard on the Randot test. The publication says "Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests: AFVT: at least A - D with no misses. Stereo booklet (Titmus Fly or
Randot): 40 arc second circles. Verhoeff: 8 of 8 correct on the first trial or. if any are missed, 16 of 16 correct on the combined second and third trials." Will I be able to request a Stereo booklet at a flight physical at OCS or in the fleet? I passed on both of those stereo books today since the glasses are a lot easier to use than the DMV-type machine at MEPS.

You're doing the right thing. Reading and understanding the requirements and the waiver guides will save your ass. It certainly has for me multiple times throughout my career. A doc tried to down me this week for my eyesight slipping and he was utterly wrong. One call to my squadron's flight doc and I was back up.

wnnabpilot

I went to MEPS a couple of months ago, I always assumed I had perfect vision because I never really had any noticeable issues with my eyesight. Turns out I was pretty close. They said I had 20/20 near in both eyes and 20/20 distance in my right eye but 20/25 distance in my left. I eventually went to an optometrist where it was confirmed. I have either .25 myopia or -.25 myopia I cant remember if the negative is suppose to be there or not but its in my left eye. My depth perception and color perception is fine. I have seen in plenty of responses that the eyesight requirements for SNA is 20/40. I was just wondering if this is for SNA in general? Will my eyesight be a factor in what platform I get? I have also read on these forms that it is required in the aircraft to have 20/20 vision so will I be required to wear some kind of corrective lenses?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to MEPS a couple of months ago, I always assumed I had perfect vision because I never really had any noticeable issues with my eyesight. Turns out I was pretty close. They said I had 20/20 near in both eyes and 20/20 distance in my right eye but 20/25 distance in my left. I eventually went to an optometrist where it was confirmed. I have either .25 myopia or -.25 myopia I cant remember if the negative is suppose to be there or not but its in my left eye. My depth perception and color perception is fine. I have seen in plenty of responses that the eyesight requirements for SNA is 20/40. I was just wondering if this is for SNA in general? Will my eyesight be a factor in what platform I get? I have also read on these forms that it is required in the aircraft to have 20/20 vision so will I be required to wear some kind of corrective lenses?
Yes, you are good to go for SNA. No your crippling eyeight will not effect platform selection. Depends on what the flight doc puts on your up chit as to what you have to wear when you fly.

The_Pants

I have searched the forum relentlessly and have viewed the medical waiver guide for SNA/SNFO (aviation physical standards class 1), but I am still confused about my eye sight at MEPS. I had PRK and my vision is better than 20/20 uncorrected. But when I put my right eye in that machine with the red blimp it said it was 20/25, left eye was 20/20. What does that indicate exactly? How can I see better than 20/20 viewing the eye chart, but when I use the machine it says 20/25? I asked the lady to retest me because the whole time the letters/numbers were blurry in the machine, (I don't think she knew exactly how to use it), but she said there was no time. Will I be NPQ'd because she wrote down 20/25 for my Right eye while using the machine? Clarification would be greatly appreciate, thank you.

I also have documents from two civilian optometrists within the last 30 days stating that my manifest refraction was 20/20 both eyes within the limits, hopefully those will suffice and be submitted to NAMI.

(1.6) All applicants for pilot training must meet Class I standards except as follows:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: Uncorrected visual acuity must not be less than 20/40 each eye, correctable to 20/20 each eye using a Goodlite eye chart. Vision testing procedures shall comply with those outlined on the Aerospace Reference and Waiver Guide Physical Exams section.

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
I recently went through the OCS vision waiver process (for RL applicants) and thought I'd share my story here, if nothing else than to give current and future OCS applicants some motivation and perspective. Quick background... Started my application process in AUG 2013 (contact recruiter, start paperwork, etc.). Submitted package in NOV 2013. PROREC'd at the FEB 2014 IDC Board for Intel. MEPS physical in MAR 2014. I knew at the outset of my application process, after much research here on AW and online in general, that I would require a vision waiver. I had pretty extreme myopia (nearsightedness) since I was a kid, and had to wear glasses with a pretty high prescription. In MAY 2013 I had LASIK surgery at a civilian eye center in Norfolk, VA. Surgery went great, as did post-op checkups. Like a good little OCS applicant, I obtained copies of EVERY record my surgeon had on me, along with past eye exams going back 8 years before the surgery. I also obtained a MEPS LASIK sheet which I had my surgeon fill out (ask your recruiter for this - it is essential). So, first step regarding any vision issues, especially LASIK, is to get your paperwork squared away early.

Speaking for RL applicants like myself (aviation is different - we don't have to worry about NAMI), after MEPS (or a Naval Med Ctr physical, which is what I had), your paperwork goes to your recruiter who then submits it to CNRC N33 (formerly N3M) for review and final determination. When it comes to LASIK, your pre-op vision is what the waiver authorities at N33 look at to determine waiver eligibility. Doesn't matter if post-op your vision is great - it's how bad your vision was in the first place that they look at. So... I got through the MEPS / Naval Med Ctr phase pretty easily, no issues. N33, however, PDQ'd me - with no chance to even pursue a waiver - due to "excessive refractive error." This basically means my vision was not only beyond the regular Navy standard, but also beyond the Navy's in-house waiverable limits. So, my recruiter essentially said sorry, nothing more can be done. He's a great guy, and a terrific recruiter, but I wasn't about to quit. So, I got online and looked up the commanding officers and executive leadership of NRC, ONI, CNO... Anyone and everyone I thought would even remotely consider helping me. I drafted an email demonstrating my desire to serve, my leadership potential, the fact that my pre-op vision wasn't too far above the waiverable limits, as well as the fact that I'd already been PROREC'd for an Intel slot. Once I sent that email out, I received responses from almost all of the O-6's and above that I had contacted (including one Vice Admiral) and within three business days, my case was reconsidered and a waiver was granted. I have no deep-rooted family naval history, nor am I the relative of anyone important or influential in the military or federal government. Rather, I relied on sheer determination, will and persistence to get what I needed to attend OCS and eventually commission as a Naval Officer, which is my ultimate goal.

I share this story to encourage all those out there who are seeking a Navy commission and face any sort of adversity or challenge in that process to never, ever give up. Keep fighting - if what you want more than anything is to be a Navy Officer, then give it your all - and then some - in your pursuit of that goal. Even if it doesn't work out for you, at least you'll never regret having not fought for your dream.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....N33, however, PDQ'd me - with no chance to even pursue a waiver - due to "excessive refractive error." This basically means my vision was not only beyond the regular Navy standard, but also beyond the Navy's in-house waiverable limits.....

Just curious, what was your vision pre-op?

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Just curious, what was your vision pre-op?

Spherical equivalents were -9.25 Left, -10.50 Right. The Navy's general waiverable limit is +\- 10.00, but DoD allows up to +\- 14.00 diopters. Sort of a standard within a standard. Past 10.00, it's the Navy's call. I was close enough that I figured I had a shot.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spherical equivalents were -9.25 Left, -10.50 Right. The Navy's general waiverable limit is +\- 10.00, but DoD allows up to +\- 14.00 diopters. Sort of a standard within a standard. Past 10.00, it's the Navy's call. I was close enough that I figured I had a shot.

And here I thought my eyes were bad! I seem to remember +/-8.0 diopters was the cutoff when I commissioned, we had one guy at my school who was a bit over the limit and he had to get waivered. Either way congrats, what you did took some guts and I wish you the best in your career.