• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone getting a waiver for SNA or SNFO for Psoriasis? Went to OCS in 2020 and got NPQd for Psoriasis and tried to go through multiple avenues to get it waived but went to waiver board and they said no. I have heard people have re applied and then sent to actual NAMI to get their condition looked at and is then waived for flight. Is there any truth to this?

Usually any sort of condition requiring medication/s is going to be DQ, no waiver.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
Hi, so perhaps there might be some answers floating around for what I'm actually going through but I wanted to get fresh insight.

I am currently in student pool here in P'Cola , SNA. About two weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder, went to the ER and got it reduced back into place. Yes it hurt like hell, but had to be done!

Went over to the flight doc and he informed me it had been my second occurrence, more to come on that.

Case being he said I more than likely needed surgery and essentially made it seem like my flying career would be over, given I needed a NAMI/NOMI waiver but I have had to show zero pain, full range of motion and strength back to 100%. He mentioned the whole process could be anywhere from 6 months to a year... I just went with it and assured him it wasn't the second dislocation... Finally he mentioned the orthos would have the last say in the matter.

Back to my supposed "initial" dislocation. Three years ago I fell down and hit my shoulder/ arm, felt some pain but had movement what not, the AF doc never reduced my shoulder I had full range of movement, 100% strength, just a bit of pain because I'm assuming it was sore it clicked once when I moved it when I fell but that's it! MRI was taken and Xrays, the doctor concluded I had miniscule lesion in my shoulder and just put me on light duty for a while, rest and ice. He told me it was nothing to worry about and that it would heal up on its own in a few months and it did never any pain never anything at all!

So, I'm just lost here because realistically I have never had a prior dislocation, and hoping to see what the insight here might be...

Am I SOL and have to get the surgery or with my explanation will Ortho be flexible?
Is this still relevant?
I dislocated my shoulder from an accident back in 2019, didn't have a problem until last year in April and then again tonight. I already have my pro-rec-Y for SNA in the Navy and a waiver for frequent shoulder dislocations but all the Navy knows about is the original dislocation. This last pop is making me think I will eventually need surgery because this time around I didn't feel any pain as compared to the original, most pain I've ever been in.
Are there any flight docs on this site that can offer insight?
I'm in a good job now that I enjoy but would definitely give it up to be a Naval Aviator. I just don't want a scenario of making it through OCS, OHARP, water survival and any other trainings to show up at NIFE and be told I can't fly as result of getting the surgery after I am in.

and in case the guru says I didn't search around the site, this is the most recent bit of info I found and with it being from almost 6 years ago to the date, it may not even be applicable anymore.

exNavyOffRec

Is this still relevant?
I dislocated my shoulder from an accident back in 2019, didn't have a problem until last year in April and then again tonight. I already have my pro-rec-Y for SNA in the Navy and a waiver for frequent shoulder dislocations but all the Navy knows about is the original dislocation. This last pop is making me think I will eventually need surgery because this time around I didn't feel any pain as compared to the original, most pain I've ever been in.
I'm in a good job now that I enjoy but would definitely give it up to be a Naval Aviator. I just don't want a scenario of making it through OCS, OHARP, water survival and any other trainings to show up at NIFE and be told I can't fly as result of getting the surgery after I am in.

and in case the guru says I didn't search around the site, this is the most recent bit of info I found and with it being from almost 6 years ago to the date, it may not even be applicable anymore.
You are in a similar but different situation than the post you quoted, the person in the original post was already in the USN and you are not, and as such the rules are not the same. The original person in the post might not be able to fly but could probably still serve in the USN while you could end up being DQ from serving at all.

What did the doc for the dislocation that happened today say?

johnpauljones1776

You are in a similar but different situation than the post you quoted, the person in the original post was already in the USN and you are not, and as such the rules are not the same. The original person in the post might not be able to fly but could probably still serve in the USN while you could end up being DQ from serving at all.

What did the doc for the dislocation that happened today say?
I did not go to the doc today. The shoulder didn't even dislocate complete, it just moved around and felt like it was about to

navypilot555

Navy pilot
Hi, looking for advice from any Flight surgeon -
I am currently a winged aviator (1310), in the middle of my first sea JO tour. I was granted a waiver for intervertebral disc disease from NAMI before flight school with No symptoms at the time. I am looking for someone to help me understand how my medical status would be affected if I seek treatment / care from my doc if I start to develop more severe back pain related to this at this time. How would my waiver hold? If my back pain does not return to normal, what would happen to my flight status / career?

I am only able to find information on waiver criteria in the reference guide but unclear if it revokes waiver and if possible to reapply or would I be to redes / POCR?

13.4 INTERVERTEBRAL DISC DISEASE

taxi1

pilot
Is this still relevant?

Not in the Nav any more, so my gouge would be old. We had a candidate in AOCS who suffered a dislocation during boxing, get punched in the shoulder and it popped out. Was in G Company until it healed, served a full career.

My one recommendation, though, is to meet with a trainer who has knowledge in chronic shoulder instability, and have them design a strength training program for your shoulders that allow you to build up the stabilizing muscles but at a low risk of causing injury. And then get on it and follow it religiously. Get strong. Things like the O-Course will stress the shoulder.

johnpauljones1776

Not in the Nav any more, so my gouge would be old. We had a candidate in AOCS who suffered a dislocation during boxing, get punched in the shoulder and it popped out. Was in G Company until it healed, served a full career.

My one recommendation, though, is to meet with a trainer who has knowledge in chronic shoulder instability, and have them design a strength training program for your shoulders that allow you to build up the stabilizing muscles but at a low risk of causing injury. And then get on it and follow it religiously. Get strong. Things like the O-Course will stress the shoulder.
Thank you, I really apreciate your response. I have worked with a Physical Therapist in the past, I thought my shoulder was stable enough a few months after I stopped going to them and started going to cross fit. I will see if my physical therapist is able to work with my cross fit coach.

taxi1

pilot
...and started going to cross fit
Crossfit keeps PTs in business. And chiros and orthos.

I guarantee when a pro sports player (college included) is injured, the team doesn't send him to a crossfit box to rehab. You need to think like that.

Best of luck!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I’ve seen a few post on herniated disc on here but no clear cut answer. I know if you do have a herniated disc it is disqualifying. I haven’t seen much on if you get surgery and have the herniated disc removed. Does anyone know anything about it or have got a waiver after surgery?

FormerRecruitingGuru

I’ve seen a few post on herniated disc on here but no clear cut answer. I know if you do have a herniated disc it is disqualifying. I haven’t seen much on if you get surgery and have the herniated disc removed. Does anyone know anything about it or have got a waiver after surgery?

Maybe there’s no clear cut answer because it simply depends?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Maybe from your experience you might know more about it? I’ve been PQ. I’m concerned it’s a herniated disc. I refuse to go in and see someone because it might be a herniated a disc and I don’t want that diagnosis.

I’m not a medical professional however I wouldn’t neglect / try to ride out a condition that may be impacting your day to day activities.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I’m not a medical professional however I wouldn’t neglect / try to ride out a condition that may be impacting your day to day activities.

I’ll give my recruiter a call in the AM. I’ve already received my PQ letter from N3M. Which does state lower back pain as waived on it. So I just want to make sure it’s not a herniated disc, if yes, what are the next steps. Every surgery/injury has wait times. My eyes were 6-months…

With the flight school/board delays and low selection it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get surgery if I had to!

exNavyOffRec

Maybe from your experience you might know more about it? I’ve been PQ. I’m concerned it’s a herniated disc. I refuse to go in and see someone because it might be a herniated a disc and I don’t want that diagnosis.

I’ll give my recruiter a call in the AM. I’ve already received my PQ letter from N3M. Which does state lower back pain as waived on it. So I just want to make sure it’s not a herniated disc, if yes, what are the next steps. Every surgery/injury has wait times. My eyes were 6-months…

With the flight school/board delays and low selection it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get surgery if I had to!
If you happened to think it was just a sore back but then went to OCS and it was herniated they would send you home and you would need to start the process over again.

If you go to see a doc and it is a herniated disc you will like you said have a wait time and then need a consult, from that point it would need to be determined if it was even waiverable.

There is nothing wrong going to the doc for a checkup and having him feel your back, hopefully you just overdid things and have a sore muscle.