• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
If you happened to think it was just a sore back but then went to OCS and it was herniated they would send you home and you would need to start the process over again.

If you go to see a doc and it is a herniated disc you will like you said have a wait time and then need a consult, from that point it would need to be determined if it was even waiverable.

There is nothing wrong going to the doc for a checkup and having him feel your back, hopefully you just overdid things and have a sore muscle.

Correct, I am looking through the NAMI guide on what is waiverable and the best thing I could find was in service applicants. For in service it is a 6-week post op evaluation and if no pain or med is required then you got the green light. For “applicants” it just says herniated disc are considered disqualifying with no waiver.

In the NAMI guide it is under orthopedics. Maybe you have had an applicant have a “micro discectomy” to remove the herniation and could provide further insight.

My best bet would be to talk to a NAMI doctor. Not sure how, but I’m sure I can find a way. I know a few AD pilots that’s might shoot me in their direction.

exNavyOffRec

Correct, I am looking through the NAMI guide on what is waiverable and the best thing I could find was in service applicants. For in service it is a 6-week post op evaluation and if no pain or med is required then you got the green light. For “applicants” it just says herniated disc are considered disqualifying with no waiver.

In the NAMI guide it is under orthopedics. Maybe you have had an applicant have a “micro discectomy” to remove the herniation and could provide further insight.

My best bet would be to talk to a NAMI doctor. Not sure how, but I’m sure I can find a way. I know a few AD pilots that’s might shoot me in their direction.
You are not on AD yet so you have to go through N3M requirements first which are in the Navy Medical Manual Ch 15. The whole process can be a bit confusing as there are requirements for those not on AD, requirements for those on AD that are winged, and for those on AD that are not yet commissioned.

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
Crossfit keeps PTs in business. And chiros and orthos.

I guarantee when a pro sports player (college included) is injured, the team doesn't send him to a crossfit box to rehab. You need to think like that.

Best of luck!
Found out as per the NAMI reference document and a handful of flight docs I was able to meet that NAMI will most likely not waive my shoulder as it has been recorded being dislocated twice. Looks like I will have surgery and the only unknown I have atm is how this works out with my professional recommendation and OCS. Any advice, related stories, or knowledge on this subject is welcomed1674625052840.png

villo0692

Yo, y’all should hear about the kind of shit I’ve seen getting waived. Would made a shoulder dislocation seem like a bee sting

exNavyOffRec

Found out as per the NAMI reference document and a handful of flight docs I was able to meet that NAMI will most likely not waive my shoulder as it has been recorded being dislocated twice. Looks like I will have surgery and the only unknown I have atm is how this works out with my professional recommendation and OCS. Any advice, related stories, or knowledge on this subject is welcomedView attachment 37391
When you notify your recruiter they will then get documents regarding your surgery. They could either give you a temp DQ and wait for all the post op results or could just cut you loose and say apply again when you are done with treatment. The documents will go to N3M for review, then there will be consults so they can make their decision.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’ll give my recruiter a call in the AM. I’ve already received my PQ letter from N3M. Which does state lower back pain as waived on it. So I just want to make sure it’s not a herniated disc, if yes, what are the next steps. Every surgery/injury has wait times. My eyes were 6-months…

With the flight school/board delays and low selection it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get surgery if I had to!

Sorry, I didn’t know you aren’t already in yet. Yes tell your recruiter asap and go see a doctor / go from there.

Remember the OCS commitment to success form you signed in which you agreed to tell your recruiter any change of status.

johnpauljones1776

Yo, y’all should hear about the kind of shit I’ve seen getting waived. Would made a shoulder dislocation seem like a bee sting
Are you saying the NAMI guys aren’t following the quick reference guide? I feel like this is bad gouge. As much as I’d like to believe this it seems pretty cut and dry as per the screen shot I posted

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Are you saying the NAMI guys aren’t following the quick reference guide? I feel like this is bad gouge. As much as I’d like to believe this it seems pretty cut and dry as per the screen shot I posted

I’m pretty sure most things now are case by case basis. Everyone has unique circumstances and pre/post op reactions.

johnpauljones1776

I’m pretty sure most things now are case by case basis. Everyone has unique circumstances and pre/post op reactions.
If I could go to OCS without getting surgery and getting medically qualled I would 100% do it. Based off what two different flight docs have told me it sounds like my shoulder is a non starter and I should get my shoulder fixed before.

Disclaimer: the primary one I talked to is out and the other one is a reservist I’ve talked through a friend and confirmed the others statements. As far as the NAMI docs at OCS, I have no idea what their perspective is

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
If I could go to OCS without getting surgery and getting medically qualled I would 100% do it. Based off what two different flight docs have told me it sounds like my shoulder is a non starter and I should get my shoulder fixed before.

Disclaimer: the primary one I talked to is out and the other one is a reservist I’ve talked through a friend and confirmed the others statements. As far as the NAMI docs at OCS, I have no idea what their perspective is

Currently in a somewhat similar boat as you. I’ve gone through MEPS got physically qualified. I’ve had low back pain which was disclosed. Now, I’m worried it’s a herniated disc. Should I get surgery to have it fixed our leave it? Very little info on it in the NAMI guide…

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Currently in a somewhat similar boat as you. I’ve gone through MEPS got physically qualified. I’ve had low back pain which was disclosed. Now, I’m worried it’s a herniated disc. Should I get surgery to have it fixed our leave it? Very little info on it in the NAMI guide…

I’ve never been diagnosed with a herniated disc so it’s not anywhere on my medical history. I technically can’t say it is one because I haven’t been consulted medically on it. I just don’t want to get to OCS have it be one, and get DQ.