• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had to look up what a DD2992 is. I never knew the name of that form and it's kind of amusing someone chose that name. I'm sure that isn't a coincidence.

The 2992 is the up-chit. If you don't have that, or if you have one that says NPQ, don't plan on flying on anything, except maybe in the back of a helo, while on summer cruise. You might get lucky, just don't plan on it.

The rest of your questions pertain to your commissioning package and you'll need to work with the person that handles the physicals and packages to get the waiver sorted. It's not something that happens automatically, but it's possible the doc may have already started the process. You'll have to work with your unit.

JacksonJ8

SNA select with a 4th nerve palsy surgery done over 20 years ago. No issues since surgery. NAMI has signed off twice but this falls under strabismus which is 100% disqualifying. Any suggestions?

Cooperd0g

pilot
SNA select with a 4th nerve palsy surgery done over 20 years ago. No issues since surgery. NAMI has signed off twice but this falls under strabismus which is 100% disqualifying. Any suggestions?
What do you mean “NAMI has signed off twice”?

JacksonJ8

What do you mean “NAMI has signed off twice”?
Failed DP my second time at meps. Had to do a full eye work up at WPAFB and send everything to NAMI. They signed off saying I was cleared for aviation. I just wonder if they missed the surgery. I’m also a prior and understand this is what the Navy does to get people in jobs they don’t necessarily want to do.

Cooperd0g

pilot
Failed DP my second time at meps. Had to do a full eye work up at WPAFB and send everything to NAMI. They signed off saying I was cleared for aviation. I just wonder if they missed the surgery. I’m also a prior and understand this is what the Navy does to get people in jobs they don’t necessarily want to do.
I’m a bit confused. NAMI gave you a waiver and you don’t want it? Are you are saying you are being forced into SNA?

Aggie23

Hello, not sure if this is the place for this question but regarding flight physical to become an aviator, are hair loss medications an issue? I have used finasteride and minoxidil from Keeps for about a month now and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem come time for my flight physical. I intend to stop using it now that this concern has come to mind just to be safe because I've heard that flight physicals are pretty brutal.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello, not sure if this is the place for this question but regarding flight physical to become an aviator, are hair loss medications an issue? I have used finasteride and minoxidil from Keeps for about a month now and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem come time for my flight physical. I intend to stop using it now that this concern has come to mind just to be safe because I've heard that flight physicals are pretty brutal.

Minoxidil was a no go as it was a blood pressure medicine and they don't want your blood pressure affected at all by meds if not necessary. The only one approved way back when was Propecia but that can affect your sexual performance as a side effect, all show and no go!

Aggie23

Thanks for your quick reply. Is this something I'm going to have to worry about being career/pilot dreams ending? I've stopped using it and cancelled my subscription and am otherwise in fine health (got cleared to ride backseat in an F-18) also I have about a year until I go for my flight physical. Thanks!

Aggie23

Minoxidil was a no go as it was a blood pressure medicine and they don't want your blood pressure affected at all by meds if not necessary. The only one approved way back when was Propecia but that can affect your sexual performance as a side effect, all show and no go!
Also, when something like this is Considered Disqualifying, does that mean during the period of use or does it mean that if you’ve ever taken it you’re disqualified permanently?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, when something like this is Considered Disqualifying, does that mean during the period of use or does it mean that if you’ve ever taken it you’re disqualified permanently?
It depends. Most of the time it’s current or recent use.

@FormerRecruitingGuru is right, generally it is just current or recent use though if taken for chronic or disqualifying conditions they would be permanent but that is not just because of the meds. For hair loss, probably not an issue but a flight doc would have to say for certain.

Scrandall

Hi all, I recently failed a DP test at MEPS and went to a civilian optometrist afterwards for a second opinion and was told I did "average on it". Well we submitted it for SNA and it was not accepted because my depth perception is 60 seconds of arc and needs to be at 40 seconds I was told.

What can I do? I had my glasses on for the test and I have 20/20 vision in left eye and 20/25 in right (correctable to 20/20). Would LASIK help at all for me, or is my vision already to good for that surgery?
Would the Air Guard be more lenient for my results? I haven't found anything saying specifically what the requirements are for depth perception.
Wanting to make them tell me no but is there much I can really do about this?

WorldWar33.3

Hi all, I recently failed a DP test at MEPS and went to a civilian optometrist afterwards for a second opinion and was told I did "average on it". Well we submitted it for SNA and it was not accepted because my depth perception is 60 seconds of arc and needs to be at 40 seconds I was told.

What can I do? I had my glasses on for the test and I have 20/20 vision in left eye and 20/25 in right (correctable to 20/20). Would LASIK help at all for me, or is my vision already to good for that surgery?
Would the Air Guard be more lenient for my results? I haven't found anything saying specifically what the requirements are for depth perception.
Wanting to make them tell me no but is there much I can really do about this?
Hey man. I'm sort of in the same position as you. I went to MEPS last year when I was applying for NFO only, and apparently didn't have good depth perception. My OR let me know, and told me to go to a local optometrist. I got Lasik since I last went to MEPS, so I should have better depth perception.

If you're at 20/20, go to an optometrist and take the test, and let your OR know.