• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

exNavyOffRec

Hey man. I'm sort of in the same position as you. I went to MEPS last year when I was applying for NFO only, and apparently didn't have good depth perception. My OR let me know, and told me to go to a local optometrist. I got Lasik since I last went to MEPS, so I should have better depth perception.

If you're at 20/20, go to an optometrist and take the test, and let your OR know.
in his post he said he did go to civilian optometrist and the DP range wasn't good enough.

Scrandall

Hey man. I'm sort of in the same position as you. I went to MEPS last year when I was applying for NFO only, and apparently didn't have good depth perception. My OR let me know, and told me to go to a local optometrist. I got Lasik since I last went to MEPS, so I should have better depth perception.

If you're at 20/20, go to an optometrist and take the test, and let your OR know.
I did go to an optometrist, but my results came back the same at 60 seconds of arc when I need to be at 40 seconds of arc for SNA.

Out of curiosity, what were your eyes at before and after your LASIK surgery as far as clarity and depth perception?
I am worried LASIK wouldn't do anything for me since I was wearing my glasses (which correct me to 20/15 left eye and 20/20 right eye) and still got the same depth perception result as without my glasses (20/20 left eye and 20/25 right eye).

OptionsDollaraire

I did go to an optometrist, but my results came back the same at 60 seconds of arc when I need to be at 40 seconds of arc for SNA.

Out of curiosity, what were your eyes at before and after your LASIK surgery as far as clarity and depth perception?
I am worried LASIK wouldn't do anything for me since I was wearing my glasses (which correct me to 20/15 left eye and 20/20 right eye) and still got the same depth perception result as without my glasses (20/20 left eye and 20/25 right eye).
Uh, if you failed MEPS and the civilian optometrist, then you are SOL, at least on the Navy side. If I were you, I would look up eye exercises (magic eye, etc) and practice those and then get a second opinion. Air Force or Army aren't out of the question for you but if you already submitted that paperwork to the Navy then you are probably perma DQ with them.

CropDuster0524

Does anybody have any experience with the NAMI dental exam? The only thing I can find that's disqualifying on the NAMI PDF is "Dental: Must have no defect which would react adversely to changes in barometric pressure (Type I or II dental examination required)." I was born without my lateral incisors and therefore have a custom retainer-type thing with fake teeth on it. In the future, I will have the option to have full dental implants. I don't see how these things would be adversely affected by barometric pressure, but I'm not a Doc lol.

Ghost32123

WannabeSNA
Something crazy happened to me at OCS.

Hello everyone, Ive searched the forms for a couple hours and decided to post due to not finding exact answer to my issue. To start off, I’ve been very healthy throughout my life and got accepted to OCS last year. I arrived in September of this year, completed my initial strength test, then later that night developed my first ever kidney stone. They sent me to the hospital from OCS and I voided it out within an hour or so. All of my pain subsided and I was granted a chit to go back to OCS for full active duty.

The next day, I completed my flight physical and everything passed but the flight surgeon stated that my kidney stone was an issue and referenced 16.6 in the NAMI guide about stones. It states that you cannot apply for the waiver until one year post kidney stone. He recommended that if I wanted SNA, I need to DOR, reapply, and come back in a year for him to send the waiver out. So I decided to DOR and am currently in student pool trying to set everything up to come back here again.

I was curious, would I still be able to go back to meps before that 1 year mark to renew my medical, as well as reapply for OCS within that year mark?

Am I wasting more time or do you think that NAMI would approve that waiver upon my urinalysis testing being negative? 1DD70513-D39A-4256-81A2-CFDAD8AD11A3.jpeg

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was curious, would I still be able to go back to meps before that 1 year mark to renew my medical, as well as reapply for OCS within that year mark?

You're probably going to need to re-do a MEPS physical (since you'll almost be due for a few one) anyway and the soonest NAMI will entertain the waiver is a year. Similar to the whole LASIK/PRK thing...

FlightVector

Hey all!

Background:
Currently a civilian pilot (CFI) and was looking at potentially commissioning to AD to fly. Hold an FAA Class 1 Medical.

I was taking a look at the medical guide as well as waiver guide and I noticed that excessive phorias (ie those over 6PD) are disqualifying and require a waiver. However, the waiver guide mentions that while both near and far phorias are measured, only distance has a standard.

Last time I was measured, I have 4PD exo at distance and 15ish PD at near, however this never affected my ability to get an FAA medical despite their standard also being 6PD.

So my question is: Will this be a problem when I go to NAMI for my physical?

Hello,

I am currently a student in Meridian Jet Pipeline who’s wife is going through medical issues - and will be applying for the EMFA(not by choice).

Is this going to greatly affect my career once I hit the fleet squadron, especially in the strike community? I would like to make the military a career. The only benefit I can see coming from this is that I get to go to Norfolk FRS straight out of the jet pipeline - but I wanted to get advice from others who may have experience going through this.

DefytheOdds

Hey all,

Just wanted to come on here and ask if anyone has ever gotten waived for psoriasis or had known anyone who has? I was previously denied a waiver through AFROTC because of my psoriasis. I only have a couple patches on my quad now, I don’t know if it is possible to get reevaluated for another branch and through OCS. I have about 2 years left before obtaining my bachelors, and I’m 22 years old. it just seems highly unlikely to be approved especially already being denied before. How much of a fight can you put into this waiver? Is pilot in the question still? Give me your best waiver story

Last edited:
Might be a long shot, by anychance, could a flight surgeon help me? I have something I want to ask privately. Thank you very much for your times in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

I was running through the waiver guide and it wasn't clear how some of the waiver timelines would work for midshipmen who haven't commissioned yet. I selected SNA this october and was diagnosed with a non-seminoma stage 1 testicular cancer that required surgical removal and a monitoring plan (CTs) for 2 years minimum. ARWG said I needed 6 months LIMDU board to be considered for a waiver, but I am supposed to commission in 6 months. Will I be required to commission later or into a different community? Will I just be seperated as a midshipman? I'm talking to my cadre but would appreciate any doc advice.

I’m not sure a Flight Doc would be best qualified to suit your question than your NROTC staff.

sacredblue

Hello, I'd appreciate any advice I can get. I'm set to go to ocs soon for aviation and somehow got a hemorrhoid for the first time in my life. It doesn't hurt and I can workout just fine. Am I screwed? Do they check this at ocs?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hello, I'd appreciate any advice I can get. I'm set to go to ocs soon for aviation and somehow got a hemorrhoid for the first time in my life. It doesn't hurt and I can workout just fine. Am I screwed? Do they check this at ocs?

I would probably tell your recruiter asap…

Mike9595

Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone getting a waiver for SNA or SNFO for Psoriasis? Went to OCS in 2020 and got NPQd for Psoriasis and tried to go through multiple avenues to get it waived but went to waiver board and they said no. I have heard people have re applied and then sent to actual NAMI to get their condition looked at and is then waived for flight. Is there any truth to this?