• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

cgoetz

To get a waiver do you have to deal with a civilian or military flight surgeon. For anyone who got a waqiver for the ADD did the Navy surgeons make you take a test called the PASAT? Not sure if you guys are familiar with it or not.

Rasczak

Marine
you get the waiver from BUPERS*.You could work with a civilian doctor to build your case before you send your app to the FS.

*See Post Below

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
you get the waiver from a NOMI/NAMI.You could work with a civilian doctor to build your case before you send your app to the FS.

Just to clarify, you get your waiver from BUPERS, but it's endorsed by NAMI (they do all the paperwork).

Rasczak

Marine
Alright another question.

Do I, for a USMC commission have to go through MEPS to do my physical?
I was told one thing by the Naval Hospital in Corpus and another thing by the the Gunny down here working for the OSO..

phrogpilot73

Alright another question.

Do I, for a USMC commission have to go through MEPS to do my physical?
I was told one thing by the Naval Hospital in Corpus and another thing by the the Gunny down here working for the OSO..
No, you don't have to go through MEPS. However, it is a common occurance because it's easy, and they're very accustomed to doing pre-commissioning physicals. The only requirement is that they use the DD-2808 and whatever the other one is. If you download the forms off the internet (and you can get it from the gocoastguard.com website if needed), you can take it to just about any military doctor, then show up at your OSO with it - and you're good.

Goob83

None
So here is an update. More frustration.
I did some pulmonary tests and blood work, everything was good to go.
I submitted my shit to MEPS again. The doc sent everything back saying he's not going to push it through because it is extremely unlikely that I will get a waiver for all three things(read top to see what I'm talking about). Now, I've read through the waiver guide, and I've read through a lot of other things on the NOMI site, and I'm fucking good to go dammit!
I'm not sure what else to do? If, I was enlisted or something, I could just request the damned things myself, but I'm not.

Any ideas as to how to handle the MEPS Dr.?

First the doc does not push it and makes no difference what he writes. it comes back to your Officer recruiting team and they send it with your application or they can do a curtisy review. THE DOC AT MEPS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. HE JUST WRITES QUALIFIED OR NOT QUALIFIED with all your stuff your are not qualifed and were not going to be qualifed when you went to MEPS you have two disqualifing items from the start and no matter what you do THE MEPS has to disqualify you by instruction and it is up to 00M to give you waivers. If you look at the forms MEPS gave you it says if waivers are reccomended or not reccomend this is all that matters.
read the paperwork the MEPS gave you
waivers have been given for these things but each case is different. your PFT if good and the right one will do the trick for asthma. YOUR DEPRESSION AND DRUGS will be the sticky point and again i don't know your story. are you even a strong candidate other wise?

Rasczak

Marine
First the doc does not push it and makes no difference what he writes. it comes back to your Officer recruiting team and they send it with your application or they can do a curtisy review. THE DOC AT MEPS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. HE JUST WRITES QUALIFIED OR NOT QUALIFIED with all your stuff your are not qualifed and were not going to be qualifed when you went to MEPS you have two disqualifing items from the start and no matter what you do THE MEPS has to disqualify you by instruction and it is up to 00M to give you waivers. If you look at the forms MEPS gave you it says if waivers are reccomended or not reccomend this is all that matters.
read the paperwork the MEPS gave you
waivers have been given for these things but each case is different. your PFT if good and the right one will do the trick for asthma. YOUR DEPRESSION AND DRUGS will be the sticky point and again i don't know your story. are you even a strong candidate other wise?

Sir, as was stated earlier, I've been cleared medically for a ground contract. The only problem is that the OSA I'm working with is new, and was telling me that I could only go through MEPS. The OSA that just retired, did not inform his replacement of my situation and I was just inquiring to make sure that all the work I went through getting my information pushed through with the Flight hospital in corpus was not in vain.

As happy as I am that I was cleared for a ground contract, I still feel that I can get a waiver for flight status. While I work on that though, I want to go ahead and push my package through for OCS for the upcoming summer.

To answer your last question, yes.

cgoetz

To schwarti, I appreciate your post man and thanks for the encourangement I needed it. This may be a silly question but u said u got a waiver. Did you end up getting accepted to flight school or are you currently a pilot for the navy know. Whats the story?

schwarti

Contributor
No problem - as for me, I was selected for SWO, I'm not one of you brown-shoe types. :D I still have a few months before OCS.

utak

Raszcak,

You're not the first, nor will you be the last.

In regards to your situation, decide whether you are a victim or a survivor. Survivors get on with their goals and succeed.

Victims need help.

Rasczak

Marine
Buddy, I don't need shit, but a nudge in the right direction. I didn't know jack about getting a commission or waivers. If it wasn't for Feddoc, MB and Phrog, I probably wouldn't be an active member of this board anymore. Those three more than anyone else have given me enough motivation to keep going. I ain't a victim, I ain't a survivor. I'm just a bad ass that knows what I want, and (atleast now...search function!)knows what I have to do to get what I want. To be honest, I get more support from the members of this board than I do from my own family. Hah!

Airborne502nd

I’m going to tag this on here for Feddoc to look at or anyone else with any insight. Sorry about the length that it is. Anyway, I really want to attempt to get commissioned and go to flight school, but with my past medical history I’m not sure if I would just be spinning my wheels in the mud or not. I would like to be cleared for jet status.

Personal History: I’m 23 years old jr/sr in college (30 credits to graduate) majoring in Animal Science and plan on someday attending Veterinary School. I was originally planning on applying for OCS when I graduate, which will be in about a year to a year and a half, but now I have been thinking about applying for BDCP.

Medical History: Alright here it goes.

Jaw Surgery: When I was 2 years old I had a benign bone growth on my lower right jaw. The procedure that was my doctors did on me was to remove right side of my lower jaw, including 3 teeth (right lower molars). Next they replaced the jaw bone with a live bone graph. They took the graph for the upper third of my iliac crest of my right hip. I was the youngest child at the time in the US to receive this operation. Post-surgery, I had to have my mouth wired shut for 6 month. Currently the jaw has never given me a trouble what so ever. The original surgeon that performed this told my mother that my jaw was stronger that a normal jaw, especially because of the hip bone. My mother had been worried about letting my play hockey with it and wasn’t sure if it could stand any hits or blows to it. I have attached a current close up picture of my jaw.

Tracheostomy: This goes with the above case. I had to have one put in when my jaw was wired.

Asthma: When I lived in California (2 miles from NAS Miramar), with all the smog and cr@p in the air I had asthma and allergies. As I got older the asthma has gone away and I have been asymptomatic for it. The last time I had any trouble with it was like when I was 11 or 12. Funny thing was that when I was a kid, I live for a year in Minnesota and during that time it never bothered me, but when I moved back to Cali it did. Also like I said about when I was 12, even when I was living in California it stop bothering me. Now I live in Minnesota full time, but I still get a little bit of allergies in the summer when one type of flower comes out for a couple of weeks. I played ice hockey to the college and semi-pro level and currently I’m playing lacrosse for my college, playing as a midfielder, which in lacrosse they have to do the most running on the whole team. For either sport I have never had any problem with my breathing, I would have been able to hockey at that level or do the running in lacrosse if I have had a problem.

Eye Sight: My last thing is that I’m boarder line for the eyesight requirement. I’m like 20/40 in one eye and either a little under or a little over 20/40 in the other eye. I’m planning on getting PRK as soon as I can afford it.

So what do you think, I don’t know how the navy will take to jaw surgery and having multiple med. problems. Do I have any chance for getting any of this waivered? Also do you do to get my medical records if the doctor that I went to as a kid is not long a practice? They would have the records for the jaw surgery.

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• 100_0143.JPG
    100_0143.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 126

Airborne502nd

Mods is there a chance that my post above could be moved to a new thread under the titled A Question for the Flight Surgeons, where it might be seen or responded to. Thanks

phrogpilot73

Don't know much about the medical history, but damn near everything in the military is waiverable. Not to mention, if you want to be an officer in the Navy more than anything else, you can be NPQ from URL and still have a very rewarding career in the RL...

If you don't apply, you'll never know the answer...

And just out of curiousity, based on the picture you posted - what's your height/weight/body fat?!? That might be a bigger hurdle to jump...