• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
It's no problem because I was about to reopen it myself.

I really don't know what to tell you about the meds though. I'm in the same boat and it's still looking pretty cloudy.

@ Feddoc
I don't know how much experience you have with Tricare, but is there a way that I can ask them to send me all my med records from birth until now? I'm going to see if I can get a misdiagnoses on my asthma and I don't know how to go about finding all my old medical records. I'm hoping they would have them, but I'm not to sure.
Bless me with your wisdom oh knowledgeable one.

I don't think tricare can send you the records. They may be able to tell you who has them.
If I were in your position, I would seek an independent medical eval. If that doc (probably should be an ENT) says that you didn't/don't have asthma, then you have saved the Navy the extra time and effort. I think that is the best way to 'get a misdagnoses on my asthma'

Rasczak

Marine
Heard back from NAMI and the flight surgeons office today. I'm NPQ'd from Flight status but I'm cleared to get a commission! I'm stoked. Wish I could fly, but I guess I'm gonna be stuck on the ground.

I'll be damned if I'll let not being able to fly deter me from being happy. I'm actually gonna get a chance to be a Marine.

phrogpilot73

Heard back from NAMI and the flight surgeons office today. I'm NPQ'd from Flight status but I'm cleared to get a commission! I'm stoked. Wish I could fly, but I guess I'm gonna be stuck on the ground.

I'll be damned if I'll let not being able to fly deter me from being happy. I'm actually gonna get a chance to be a Marine.
Great attitude! Life on the ground side can be as equally as fun and rewarding as life in the air...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

Congrats bro! Now, typical advice - don't fvck it up :D

Rasczak

Marine
Something along the lines of too many things wrong with me in the past(3). I'm still gonna fight it though. I'm just trying to figure out how to build up my case.

cgoetz

Do you strongly believe it was because of the depression and the ADD. Only reason I ask is because I am trying to apply for commisioning and I'm hoping to apply for the pilot or NFO program, and I have the same problem. I'm concerned this will hinder me. I'm glad I read your post.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I were you I might try to track down a Flight Doc at Kingsville, I have been through it a couple times over here in Corpus with some pretty piss poor flight docs. Though I have heard great things about the Docs over at Kingsville! Only problem is the hospital is here in CC. Not sure how it works over at K-rock. So I leave you with that! Good Luck!

Haven't you seen the episode of Seinfeld that deals with getting on the AMA black list.....don't you know the Flight Docs have their own version of JOPA? And it extends from base to base?

Rasczak

Marine
Do you strongly believe it was because of the depression and the ADD. Only reason I ask is because I am trying to apply for commisioning and I'm hoping to apply for the pilot or NFO program, and I have the same problem. I'm concerned this will hinder me. I'm glad I read your post.

ADD was not a problem for me. Mine was asthma, depression, and hyper insulemia(caused by childhood obesity). The ONLY reason they gave me was because I had so many problems. I did the research, I know everything that was wrong with me IS waiverable, it's just getting at least one doc on my side. All I can say is, try. If they say no the first time, keep trying. I want to fly. I'll be damned if I let some bullshit problems from my past keep me from doing it. Go to the NOMI site and check the aerowaiver guide. Make sure you fall within those guidelines and start pushing your app through. Get in touch with a flight surgeon and work with them. It's hard man. It's really hard to stay motivated when everyone tells you no, but you gotta push through it. Persistence pays off.

schwarti

Contributor
I was medicated for ADD/depression as recently as two/three years ago. I got a waiver. It was just a matter of being eligible for the waiver (no meds in two years or whatever) and getting a "medical health professional" to write a letter for me saying that I display no signs of any mood disorder, depression, or attention disorder. You CAN get waivered for this stuff, cgoetz. You just need to keep on it.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I was medicated for ADD/depression as recently as two/three years ago. I got a waiver. It was just a matter of being eligible for the waiver (no meds in two years or whatever) and getting a "medical health professional" to write a letter for me saying that I display no signs of any mood disorder, depression, or attention disorder. You CAN get waivered for this stuff, cgoetz. You just need to keep on it.

That gouge above is often the key to getting waivers. Make it easy for the attending FS to make their decision....

Brett1

Banned
Feddoc,
does the fact that he was very heavy at one point in his life enter into the equation for flight eligibility? Is there a likelyhood of weight gain in his late 20's early 30's that would affect his status? I guess I have always wondered what happens to the guys that start packing on some pounds after being a pilot for some years.

MasterBates

I guess I have always wondered what happens to the guys that start packing on some pounds after being a pilot for some years.

We have to try to keep the weight off and stay within USN bodyfat standards.

If you don't you get shown the door. Either via FOS (damn you BUPERS pictures!!) or an admin-sep due to failing the PRT.

<-- Poster child for the fat but in shape crowd

I can only imagine that when my record goes up in "the tank" during the board, it will be much like the reaction when they show Founder's picture during the rush meeting in Animal House.

(looks of horror and throwing beer cans at the screen for the uncultured)