• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Crowbar

None
@ the haters: go hang around Fleet & Family Services. Countless youngsters who discovered the hard way that the military wasn't for them. Truly heartbreaking.

People with and without depression decide military life isn't for them.

Depression: anger without enthusiasm.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
@ Rasczak:
If you are successful in getting through MEPS and you decide to continue pursuing a career in the military, I sincerely hope you do great things.
Are you planning on taking a flight physical in the future? If you are, they're a bit stricter on heart/lung issues, so make sure you have all the documentation in order. As far as asthma goes, they might give you a hard time about it, citing stories of guys whose lungs siezed up in the gas chamber or similar stories.
If you end up applying for a Secret or Top Secret security clearance, the depression issues might raise some flags, so try to pad your reference list with people that will vouch for you. They actually interview some of these people, as well as former neighbors and co-workers.
Please post the results of your physical, so that future new guys can learn from your experience.

Rasczak

Marine
So here is an update. More frustration.
I did some pulmonary tests and blood work, everything was good to go.
I submitted my shit to MEPS again. The doc sent everything back saying he's not going to push it through because it is extremely unlikely that I will get a waiver for all three things(read top to see what I'm talking about). Now, I've read through the waiver guide, and I've read through a lot of other things on the NOMI site, and I'm fucking good to go dammit!
I'm not sure what else to do? If, I was enlisted or something, I could just request the damned things myself, but I'm not.

Any ideas as to how to handle the MEPS Dr.?

I'd ask the OSA I'm working with, but I get the feeling he just doesn't want to work with me anymore.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
So here is an update. More frustration.
I did some pulmonary tests and blood work, everything was good to go.
I submitted my shit to MEPS again. The doc sent everything back saying he's not going to push it through because it is extremely unlikely that I will get a waiver for all three things(read top to see what I'm talking about). Now, I've read through the waiver guide, and I've read through a lot of other things on the NOMI site, and I'm fucking good to go dammit!
I'm not sure what else to do? If, I was enlisted or something, I could just request the damned things myself, but I'm not.

Any ideas as to how to handle the MEPS Dr.?

I'd ask the OSA I'm working with, but I get the feeling he just doesn't want to work with me anymore.

You don't necessarily need to go through MEPS. Is there a Naval Hospital that you'd be willing to travel to? I did all my stuff at National Naval Med Ctr... never set foot in a MEPS. That might be something to ask your OSA about setting up for you, and if he won't, get setup with another OSA.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Definitely track down a flight surgeon at CC...the worst they can say is no, but I think you've got a good chance...
good luck.

MSkinsATC

pilot
If I were you I might try to track down a Flight Doc at Kingsville, I have been through it a couple times over here in Corpus with some pretty piss poor flight docs. Though I have heard great things about the Docs over at Kingsville! Only problem is the hospital is here in CC. Not sure how it works over at K-rock. So I leave you with that! Good Luck!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Then set that up. A current flight surgeon would have a much better understanding of NOMI and waivers... compared to a MEPS doc.

Yea, what he said. If a NOMI doc (as in FS) helps you out, your chances for success are much better.

MasterBates

These numbers should get you pointed in the right direction.

361 area code for all numbers.

NAS Corpus Christi Information 961-2811
Naval Hospital Information / Duty Flight Surgeon 961-2688
Flight Medicine Voice 961-3410
Flight Medicine Fax 961-2978

Rasczak

Marine
Submitted 25 page pdf file to Corpus Flight Surgeon for review..
I have a felling that file is going to get a lot bigger...

Hey mods, how about changing the title of this thread so Feddoc doesn't get annoyed.

schwarti

Contributor
Very sorry to reopen and jack an old thread - but I had some similar questions.

When I went to MEPS three weeks ago, my doctors hadn't sent all of my medical records. They said to get those and come back. I had them sent over.

Specifically, they were mental health records - when I was younger (read: teens), I was put on various anti-depressants and anti-ADD pills. After wrestling with them for years, I finally quit them and I've been doing great ever since, which leads me to think that the meds were the problem.

With that being said, I just found out that they perm. disqualified me. I don't know what exactly for, since the MEPS people never actually told me - I found out when I called up this morning to confirm that I was going back tomorrow for something else. They had said that they would give me a psych. eval. as well, which I thought would be my opportunity to show them that I'm not a basket case. I also never saw those records, so I'm not sure what's in them. The doctor who sent them saw me maybe once a year or once every six months and I'm not convinced he should have put me on the pills in the first place, so I really would have liked the chance to explain.

The guy I spoke with said that he'd send my stuff down to CNRC for a waiver, but I want to know what else I can do to make this happen - realistically, I'm not expecting a waiver if nothing changes about my records.

Thanks for any advice.

Rasczak

Marine
It's no problem because I was about to reopen it myself.

I really don't know what to tell you about the meds though. I'm in the same boat and it's still looking pretty cloudy.

@ Feddoc
I don't know how much experience you have with Tricare, but is there a way that I can ask them to send me all my med records from birth until now? I'm going to see if I can get a big fat misdiagnosed stamp on my asthma records and I don't know how to go about finding all my old medical records. I'm hoping they would have them, but I'm not to sure.
Bless me with your wisdom oh knowledgeable one.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Very sorry to reopen and jack an old thread - but I had some similar questions.

When I went to MEPS three weeks ago, my doctors hadn't sent all of my medical records. They said to get those and come back. I had them sent over.

Specifically, they were mental health records - when I was younger (read: teens), I was put on various anti-depressants and anti-ADD pills. After wrestling with them for years, I finally quit them and I've been doing great ever since, which leads me to think that the meds were the problem.

With that being said, I just found out that they perm. disqualified me. I don't know what exactly for, since the MEPS people never actually told me - I found out when I called up this morning to confirm that I was going back tomorrow for something else. They had said that they would give me a psych. eval. as well, which I thought would be my opportunity to show them that I'm not a basket case. I also never saw those records, so I'm not sure what's in them. The doctor who sent them saw me maybe once a year or once every six months and I'm not convinced he should have put me on the pills in the first place, so I really would have liked the chance to explain.

The guy I spoke with said that he'd send my stuff down to CNRC for a waiver, but I want to know what else I can do to make this happen - realistically, I'm not expecting a waiver if nothing changes about my records.

Thanks for any advice.

Schwarti,

I think you should get your own psych exam...it may cost you a couple of $$$$ now, but this is your career on the line. The last sentence in your post is especially true in your case>>>start looking for either a psychiatrist and/or a psychologist now.