• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

Huggy Bear

pilot
Man! Times have changed since I went through API a decade ago. You all sound so stressed about it now. I thought people didn't stress enough about it enough when I went through. Out of the 50 I started with, only 8 of us made it to the end without rolling. And this is not rocket science people. I was a dumb geography major and did really well in API just by actually paying attention in class and studying the night before the tests. I watched countless academy trained engineering types roll back for failing one test or another. And I still had fun at least 3-4 days a week.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
DO make sure you IP your flight suits before you wear them. DON'T forget that even though it is a working uniform you shouldn't be a slob.

This is kind of a side question, but how do aviators get around the whole 'dont wear working uniforms off base' with their flight suit?

Or are you not actually supposed to wear your flight suit off base?

Heloanjin

pilot
This is kind of a side question, but how do aviators get around the whole 'dont wear working uniforms off base' with their flight suit?

The guidance shifts from time to time and base to base, but generally speaking, you can wear your flight suit off base while in your car. You can get out of your car in your flight suit for brief stops of convenience (pumping gas, grabbing a take out burger). Sitting down at Hooters for some wings and a pitcher would not be considered a brief stop of convenience.

This applies to your leather and nomex flight jackets, as well.

KSUFLY

pilot

Statesman...there's been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past and there are a lot of good threads regarding it. Some people take it more serious and won't stop for gas or a hair cut in a flight suit. Then some people take the "short stops of convenience" a little more liberal and will stop for a quick bite to eat on the way home. It all depends on your command.

Raptor2216

Well, I can't believe I read this post over a year ago and here I am now in my last week of API. All I have to say is, API is a cake walk if you are even half way intelligent. Anyone that can make it though college can make it though API.

I don't what the gouge was a year ago or 5 years ago but we were told to study 8 hours a day and another 5 while you sleep with one eye open...bla bla bla...and so on and so forth. Needless to say, after hearing all the initial lectures about the common failures and the amount of studying necessary, I was somewhat nervous. On top of all this, I wasn't exactlly the greatest swimmer and well, there is a lot of swimming in the syllabus...with gear. So, I was slightly worried to say the least.

For those who are just starting or will be starting in the future, I can honestly tell you that it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I will say that my engineering degree did help me to understand most of the concepts in AERO and ENGINES. The material is fairly simple but the ease with which you learn the material will depend on how "mechanically inclined" you are. They do a good job on simplifying the concepts in the books and you can definitely do great if you simply hit the "I believe button".

When it came to studying, I was probably putting in 6-7 hours during the week and about 5-6 on the weekends and my overall average was 94%. The questions that I did miss were the result of not reading the question carefully enough. I know some of you are thinking, how hard can it be to read the question "carefully enough"...you just have to experience it for yourself to understand. If you don't miss anything, then good on you.

As far as the swimming goes, just so everyone know my exact background, I couldn't even tread water 7 months ago. I really learned to swim at TBS and as much as I hated having to go to remedial swim every week, i'm glad I did because it helped me a whole lot though API. I'm not saying that TBS made me into an Olympic swimmer or anything even close. I just knew how to do the breast stroke, side stoke, back stroke and American crawl(freestyle). If you can do those 4 strokes, you will do just fine. The instructors are looking for proper form, not speed. For others who are worried about treading water with gear or swimming in the flight suit, put your worries aside because the gear floats! You will put on those steel toe flight boots and think you are going to sink right to the bottom but trust me, you don't. I didn't even have to kick to keep myself afloat with the gear because it did it for me. Some of the other swim events include the helo dunker and all that fun stuff and I will say it is just that, fun stuff!

So, to wrap it all up, just enjoy life and don't even sweat about API. If my dumbass can do it, so can you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When it came to studying, I was probably putting in 6-7 hours during the week and about 5-6 on the weekends and my overall average was 94%. The questions that I did miss were the result of not reading the question carefully enough. I know some of you are thinking, how hard can it be to read the question "carefully enough"...you just have to experience it for yourself to understand. If you don't miss anything, then good on you.

I remember the API questions being something along the lines of:

A) Cat
B) Something close to the answer
C) Something even closer to the answer
D) The answer

It was a refreshing change to get to Primary and the tests being something like:

A) Cat
B) Dog
C) Something close
D) The answer

...Except for the VNAV test. That still is a pain in the butt to take now w/out having a sectional next to you.

Mav87

Does anyone know where I can find a API, Primary, Intermediate and Advanced course syllabuses? I am trying to get an idea about the types of courses you take and what you expect any given week.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
All I have to say is, API is a cake walk if you are even half way intelligent. Anyone that can make it though college can make it though API.

Inversely, if you can't pass API you have no business in an aircraft. It doesn't get any easier after you leave the schoolhouse.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I realize this is more of a threadjack, but let me clarify that a flightsuit is not a working uniform. Per uniform regs, it is an Organizational uniform. Yes there are rules (mostly local) that apply to its wear. For example, in San Diego it was (no longer) fair game to wear a flightsuit to eat in an establishment in Coronado. As long as you didn't cross the bridge, it was all good. In fact, at a lot of places a uniform was welcomed (Coronado has a large retired military presence). An east coast O-6 didn't like 3 of our LTs wearing their flightsuit "in town" and so that policy no longer exists. Now it is just flightsuits to pick up to-go orders.

Unfortunately some places don't know the difference between a working uniform and a flightsuit. Case in point: Club at Pearl Harbor. I was not served a beer because I was in a flightsuit. Since the particular club was submariner heavy, I guess they had their rules about coveralls and working uniforms. The bartenders just didn't know the difference. Oh well, there's always Dukes.

MasterBates

Kmac, they didn't serve you because you look like you are in High School..

They thought you bought the bag at a surplus store.