• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

Crowbar

None
Seems like lately there have been a lot of Marines getting attrited (or coming pretty close) from API. I have no idea why but I wanted to let people know that while API is itself not hard, you actually do have to study while you are there. The tests are not like the tests you see at OCS/TBS where it might look something like this:

The birthdate of the Marine Corps is:
a) 4 July 1976
b) 10 Nov 1776
c) 10 Nov 1775
d) 800m area target, 550m point target

API questions look a little more like this:

What atmospheric conditions would provide the greatest air density?
a) Hot temperature, low static pressure, low humidity
b) Hot temperature, low static pressure, high humidity
c) Cold temperature, low static pressure, high humidity
d) Cold temperature, high static pressure, low humidity

or this:

According to the continuity equation for incompressible airflow, what is the relationship between area, airflow velocity and mass airflow?
a) Airflow velocity increases as stream tube area increases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
b) Airflow velocity increases as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
c) Airflow velocity remains constant as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
d) Airflow velocity decreases as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow

For anybody who hasn't yet started API, don't sweat. Those questions might look hard but they aren't. It's explained in class and with a little studying you can remember it long enough to get it right on the test.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Crowbar said:
Seems like lately there have been a lot of Marines getting attrited (or coming pretty close) from API. I have no idea why but I wanted to let people know that while API is itself not hard, you actually do have to study while you are there. The tests are not like the tests you see at OCS/TBS where it might look something like this:

The birthdate of the Marine Corps is:
a) 4 July 1976
b) 10 Nov 1776
c) 10 Nov 1775
d) 800m area target, 550m point target

API questions look a little more like this:

What atmospheric conditions would provide the greatest air density?
a) Hot temperature, low static pressure, low humidity
b) Hot temperature, low static pressure, high humidity
c) Cold temperature, low static pressure, high humidity
d) Cold temperature, high static pressure, low humidity

or this:

According to the continuity equation for incompressible airflow, what is the relationship between area, airflow velocity and mass airflow?
a) Airflow velocity increases as stream tube area increases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
b) Airflow velocity increases as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
c) Airflow velocity remains constant as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow
d) Airflow velocity decreases as stream tube area decreases, to maintain a constant mass airflow

For anybody who hasn't yet started API, don't sweat. Those questions might look hard but they aren't. It's explained in class and with a little studying you can remember it long enough to get it right on the test.

C, D, B :)

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Crowbar said:
It's explained in class and with a little studying you can remember it long enough to get it right on the test.
Isn't that just about every test in college,just long enough for the test then memory dump, NEXT!

Yes I sure these will serve as the basics and building blocks to other more advanced things and I will not do a total memory dump.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You'd be surprised how some of the stuff does actually come back to be useful. The whole power required vs. power available thing is a huge deal down the road.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know how FITREPs work in API? Do they even exist?

All of your FITREPs will be NOB until you get to your fleet squadron. You basically need some kind of FITREP to cover every single day since you were commissioned, so make sure the dates don't leave any gaps when you sign your FITREPs, as correcting that problem down the road can be a huge hassle.

Brett

snake020

Contributor
Do us AF studs go in the water at all? And if so, are we issued flotation devices or water wingys?

That is not a real phrase so please don't use it again. Also, you should consider getting rid of the "USAF" in rainbow colors in your avatar.

Ben_Dover

A little from what I learned in API:

1) It is hard, regardless of what everybody else is saying. Is it doable? Yes. Will it take a lot of work on your part? Yes (at lease in my case). Out of my class of approx. 30 students, we had around 6-7 roll back because of academics. Two DOR'd within the first two weeks as well.

2) Finding a good study group was key for my success. I got together with two other guys several times a week and we'd look over each chapter, pointing out what we thought the instructor was foot-stomping on. After that, we'd go through each ELO. If somebody didn't fully understand the concept, we wouldn't move on till EVERYBODY understood it. Worked out well because the guys that did understand it furthered their grasp of it by explaining it the dunce of the group. If nobody really understood the ELO, we'd refer to our ELO cheat sheets.

3) I found that several sites offered up great gouge while others.... not so much. REMEMBER: Live by the gouge, Die by the gouge!!! Do not take this as gospel!!!!!!!
The sites that I used successfully were:
www.debich.net (Click on "Elo answers" and then download whatever section it is you want. Should come in a 'Word' format) We checked over all of the ELO's on here and they were all current and correct.
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.6.6/index.php?title=Aviation_Preflight_Indoctrination-url This site has basically the same stuff, just formatted in a different way. Also current and correct.

Site to avoid (at least for API ELO's):
www.navygouge.com Unless their site has been updated recently, their ELO's were outdated and their practice tests asked questions that were not pertinent to the tests you will be taking. Also, several of the answers on their tests were wrong.

4) PT shouldn't be an issue. You'll run a normal PRT at the beginning of API and if you can't pass that, resign your commission.

5) The swimming portion of it is really, really easy. They basically treat everybody as though nobody has ever swam before. During the first week, when they're teaching you the four basic strokes, each day will take several hours for everybody to demonstrate proficiency when in all actuality, it could have been accomplished in about five minutes. Sucks for the guys that know how to swim, it's great practice for those that don't. My class had several non-swimmers and all but one was able to build up their skills to a passing level. The one that didn't was rolled in to a class behind us (which is not a big deal). He was by far the worst swimmer I had ever seen and he ended up passing all their tests. Unless you have a fear of heights, water in general, or holding your breath underwater for a few seconds, you'll do just fine.

6) As for the break down of your overall score, the PRT hardly counted for anything and the swimming was just a check in the box (ie, not counted towards your score). It all basically boils down to how you do in the classroom.

Best of luck!!!