• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

KBayDog

THRILLER said:
On the subject of our helmet, do we get an O2 mask or just basically a white cranium cover with a mic?

Only Navy/Marine studs get O2 masks. Something about how our bodies are not of AF-caliber, and since we operate near the water or ground, we need "oxygen" above 10K.

AF guys are much more aeromedically adapted to high altitude flight, and are therefore not under such physiological restraints.

I've been studying Iron Eagle in order to figure out why.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Bigfish:

You'd be surprised. The Navy/Marines are actually catching up w/ some of the AF gear. It's my understanding that the AIRSAVE is for all services, if they use a vest like that (as opposed to the fishing vests that are sometimes used). We also now have the PRC-149 in the fleet, which I believe the AF had for a long time, and it, of course, doesn't work in the water.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't care what service I'm in, no one is peeing on me. I might be a peon, but...

Also, keep in mind, by the time you get your wings, no matter what service, all you've received is training that gives you a common language. The fleet is when you really have to start learning. The wings just get you into the club, quals let you drink at the bar.

WEGL

How many students are there in your API class? Are you competing against all of them or just the Navy guys? How tough is it to get in the top 10%? Do you need all 100's? Does your PRT and swim qual stuff go into your grade or just the academics? Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In API, you don't really compete against anyone. It's an individual effort thing in the classroom, and in the labs, you work as either a team to complete an event or just by yourself to pass a particular X. As long as you compete API, everyone can only select Primary, so there's nothing to compete for.

WEGL

Okay, but I was told that in order to make the SNFO to SNA switch you had to finish in the top 10% of you class. How is that ranking determined then? Thanks.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
WEGL said:
Okay, but I was told that in order to make the SNFO to SNA switch you had to finish in the top 10% of you class. How is that ranking determined then? Thanks.

Test grades, PRT and mile swim.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
WEGL said:

I see what you're saying. Just a word of caution. Don't be that guy who's out to get the top scores and, as a result, doesn't play nice w/ others. Everyone is there to help each other out, espically in API. If you become a free agent and play only for yourself, you'll pay the price in the long run, whether that's API, the rest of flight school, or in the fleet.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
gatordev said:
I see what you're saying. Just a word of caution. Don't be that guy who's out to get the top scores and, as a result, doesn't play nice w/ others. Everyone is there to help each other out, espically in API. If you become a free agent and play only for yourself, you'll pay the price in the long run, whether that's API, the rest of flight school, or in the fleet.

Agree .... that goes for your entire career. There is a big difference between trying as hard as you can to be #1 and sh#%ting on the next man to be #1. There was a guy I knew at Primary that said he wouldn't "really" help his buddy cause he wanted a Jet slot. Needless to say that guy didn't get jets. You'll be suprised how well a rep for being a good guy whose always lookin out for others will take you.

Some other words of wisdom ... DON'T BE THE MARINE THAT FAILS THE PRT!!!! My other friend was the first Marine in like 5-10 yrs to fail the PRT in API!!! Great guy but had to smack him in the head for that one. The CO of API was joking about it to all the new classes about it. He probably still is. It was only a bout a year ago.

Study hard but give yourself some time off. In retrospect, I did well at API, but I would have done the same if I had givin myself a study break here and there. Don't OVER DO IT.

DO NOT complain that you can't clear your ears in the pressure chamber unless you NO SH#T can't!!! My buddy did that and then they told him he had to shove some silver tube up his nose and snort some stuff. As soon as he saw that he was like "no no I'm really ok I can clear em now" but he had no choice cause they can't risk you blowing your eardrums. Didn't look comfortable.

All in all ..... It's just a load of studying to prove yet again to the Navy
that you REALLY REALLY wanna be here.

Peace,

-Spin

WEGL

I understand what y'all are saying. I am competitive, but I'm not that kind of guy. I'm really only interested in doing well in API because of my desire to make the switch, otherwise I wouldn't care so long as I passed. So back to my original question... any help? Thanks.

WEGL said:
How many students are there in your API class? Are you competing against all of them or just the Navy guys? How tough is it to get in the top 10%? Do you need all 100's? Does your PRT and swim qual stuff go into your grade or just the academics? Thanks.
Also, if all of it counts (class, swim, PRT), anyone know how each is weighted? Just wondering if I need to start working on really improving my swim time. Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
We also now have the PRC-149 in the fleet, which I believe the AF had for a long time, and it, of course, doesn't work in the water.

Don't forget the added bonus of it potentially exploding on your chest inflight!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh yeah. I did forget that. We had one shoot across the PR shop, too.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
bigfish said:
Bubba, you're kidding right? The Air force wouldn't be caught dead in the Navy/Marine Corps low end gear (except dueing training) afterall they have standards to uphold.

Cut me some slack here man.... (j/k)... So yeah, I definitely had a little bit (massive) brain-fart there...

I completely forgot about the Chair Farce's so called "standards"...

2 weeks (hopefully) till API... I'm jumping with joy. :icon_nav_

S.O.B.

pilot
A lot of these posts talk about not studying ahead for API. That’s fine but I would rather study ahead and lose some free time then get there and wish I had been better prepared. If this is really what you want to do with your life then you should do everything in your power to insure success. I went through flight school with the attitude that if something went wrong and I had to go to a board, I was going to be able to say honestly that there was absolutely nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. Just my two cents. I wasn’t the strongest guy in flight school but my philosophy has kept me down free throughout my career.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Bomber" Jacket?

dnweinreb said:
Why does wearing the bomber jacket after you get it make you a tool? What if it's cold out?

QUOTE]

It is not a "Bomber" jacket*! That is what the commercial manufacturers like to call it for advertising it to the general public. Erase that from your brain because if you use that term in flight school or the fleet, you'll be asking for a callsign or at the very least, ridicule. It is a "Flight Jacket".

*In WWII, the USAAF wore their A-2 Flight Jackets outside their B-17 and B-24s in England to ward off the chill and decorated them with Nose Art hence the popular term "Bomber Jacket". The leather A-2 was replaced during the war with multi-layered pile B-10 jackets and didn't emerge again until 1987 when they reintroduced the Leather Jacket as an incentive (it is not made to flight standard and is for wear outside aircraft only). Even modern USAF does not call it a bomber jacket and they can only be issued "Leather" A-2 after in their operational squadron AND becoming "mission-ready".

As to getting cold, P-Cola is fairly temperate. You'll survive without wearing a flight jacket until it's time to wear it.