• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I realize this is more of a threadjack, but let me clarify that a flightsuit is not a working uniform. Per uniform regs, it is an Organizational uniform. Yes there are rules (mostly local) that apply to its wear. For example, in San Diego it was (no longer) fair game to wear a flightsuit to eat in an establishment in Coronado. As long as you didn't cross the bridge, it was all good. In fact, at a lot of places a uniform was welcomed (Coronado has a large retired military presence). An east coast O-6 didn't like 3 of our LTs wearing their flightsuit "in town" and so that policy no longer exists. Now it is just flightsuits to pick up to-go orders.

Unfortunately some places don't know the difference between a working uniform and a flightsuit. Case in point: Club at Pearl Harbor. I was not served a beer because I was in a flightsuit. Since the particular club was submariner heavy, I guess they had their rules about coveralls and working uniforms. The bartenders just didn't know the difference. Oh well, there's always Dukes.

True. In San Diego, its like the mecca of flight suits. Especially since I lived in Mira Mesa. Many of our neighbors were Tomcat pilots/RIOs. So flights suits are no biggy. Especially during lunch. I saw an O-6 in his bag scrafing down a California burrito off of Nimitz Blvd. God i miss San Dog. Why cant we have P-3s fly out of SD?! I swear if I ever make Admiral....:D

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Why cant we have P-3s fly out of SD?! I swear if I ever make Admiral....:D

A p-3 admiral?!?

back to the threadjack, I've heard horror stories of bag priviledges yanked and having to drive on/off base in khakis then switch to the bag prior to flight. don't know if those are true or not but, yeah. that would really suck.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A p-3 admiral?!?

back to the threadjack, I've heard horror stories of bag priviledges yanked and having to drive on/off base in khakis then switch to the bag prior to flight. don't know if those are true or not but, yeah. that would really suck.

I'm sure it has an impact on retention. Hearing from the older NavCads that were around, SDBs were the norm for duty. When retention became an issue (too many guys going airlines) then rules like that started to relax. In my command we stand duty in flightsuits. I've heard of other commands that require khakis, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyone care to chime in?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure it has an impact on retention. Hearing from the older NavCads that were around, SDBs were the norm for duty. When retention became an issue (too many guys going airlines) then rules like that started to relax. In my command we stand duty in flightsuits. I've heard of other commands that require khakis, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyone care to chime in?

I remember both VP and HSL SDOs standing duty in SDBs through the 90s. Most Prowler folks will wear flight suits, but I've seen khakis as well. When I was in Saudi, we stood SDO in cammies.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot

We stand it in khakis...some of our O4s tell horror storries of standing duty in SDBs/Whites a few years back.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
my old skipper had been a loop for an admiral....he made us stand watch in SDBs as well, (west coast VP). I suspect that there would be a mutiny in the hornet wardroom if those guys wore anything other than their bag for duty.

MasterBates

HSL-42, we wore bags.

Other east coast outfits had/currently wear khakis or SDBs..

42 started going to hell when they let the girls in, its only a matter of time :D

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
The guidance shifts from time to time and base to base, but generally speaking, you can wear your flight suit off base while in your car. You can get out of your car in your flight suit for brief stops of convenience (pumping gas, grabbing a take out burger). Sitting down at Hooters for some wings and a pitcher would not be considered a brief stop of convenience.

This applies to your leather and nomex flight jackets, as well.

Hip Pocket Deli is a brief stop of convenience. I still miss that place.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
How many here have finished the Wimpy burger or the meatball sub? I came within about 4 bites of the burger and I couldn't eat anymore.
The meatball sub is easily 3 meals ... I dont know how that guy can turn a profit, I could not buy that much beef at the store for that price. Great place. Great family running it too.

pjxc415

pilot
i witnessed a friend polish off an entire wimpy burger yesterday. small asian LT. not sure if he's alive today to tell of it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The flight suits on/off base thingy ebbs and flows, just like everything else in the Navy. They relax the rules and then some visiting admiral sees a bunch of cones wearing their flight suits at Hip Pocket and hits the overhead and it's back to "no bags off base! Ever!" Generally speaking, the West Coast is more laid-back about that kind of stuff than the East, and the chickensh*tness of the rules is directly proportional to the number of admirals who are around.

As far as API goes, I've been instructing there for six months (or I was, until the IA anvil fell on my head). Take it seriously, the tests aren't gimmes, but don't make your eyes bleed. Flight school is a marathon, and the purpose of API is to get your pace.

MasterBates

Why does this come to mind Fester?

l_103e8ed5a2a1943bb74391137aa87c55.jpg