• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Contrast to Army TH-67, which received N numbers, Airworthiness Certificates at factory and Army contractors maintained to FAA standards throughout service life.
I did not know that. That would be an advantage for AAHF if we could get our hands on one. Our only experience is with non register aircraft. We have to go to the trouble to have them registered "Experimental/Exhibition", and deal with the operational restrictions.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I did not know that. That would be an advantage for AAHF if we could get our hands on one. Our only experience is with non register aircraft. We have to go to the trouble to have them registered "Experimental/Exhibition", and deal with the operational restrictions.
I know the rule, it just never occurred to me that Navy models were never given N numbers. There are still a good number of TH’s (Army) out there for sale

GroundPounder

Check with your old contacts from the LE side and ask about anything they still have on the 10 33 program. We don't have any aviation stuff, but we did have tons of mil equipment that we have sold. The rules are all over the place, for example, we can't sell HMMWVs but we have been able to sell other tactical vehicles.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check with your old contacts from the LE side and ask about anything they still have on the 10 33 program. We don't have any aviation stuff, but we did have tons of mil equipment that we have sold. The rules are all over the place, for example, we can't sell HMMWVs but we have been able to sell other tactical vehicles.
Sheriff's Office I flew with sold both an OH-58 and OH-6 to private hands. Both were Experimental . Think we only had to hold them for a certain time period. Sad fact, the OH-6 crashed in Alaska killing pilot, bride and groom. Bad weather, flying from mountain top ceremony to valley for the reception.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
A good friend here in Pensacola has purchased a large number of TH-67s from the Army as well as UH-60A/L aircraft. When I asked if the family would be buying TH-57s he said “the Navy won’t sell them at auction like the Army”. Ironically they also own an SDV and a growing catalogue of F-18 parts, but they win government auctions in a way I can only envy.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm curious to hear what the HT IUT syllabus and TW-5 SOP is for Nr over speed prevention and conducting go around after IP initiated simulated eng fail.

kejo

pilot
I'm curious to hear what the HT IUT syllabus and TW-5 SOP is for Nr over speed prevention and conducting go around after IP initiated simulated eng fail.
In a nutshell, students do not manipulate twist grip in the TH-73 except for startup and shutdown. IPs “own” the twist grip for auto entry, return to flight position (full open) in the flare during a power recovery auto, and all power off wave offs.

To be a qualified 73 on-wing instructor, you also need to have completed an additional energy management training syllabus that emphasizes advanced Nr management and overspeed prevention techniques, low Nr recovery, and defensive posturing.

With just over 1300 hours in the TH-57, and now about 120 hours in the TH-73, most of which are day fam/contacts, I’ll echo @KWpilot58 when I say I think the 73 is an excellent aircraft for autorotation training, and in some ways more forgiving than the 57. N2 overspeed is your highest risk, but as long as you’re keeping Nr under control, it’s no big deal. I certainly don’t have to worry about overtorques or iso-mount strikes anymore!

KWpilot58

Nice looking. Is it an all glass cockpit?
Yes it is, which is a huge upgrade since I’ve been flying steam gauges for the past 9 year. a lot of technology and information being presented. Interpreting, understanding, correlating it all is what I find to be the biggest hurdle. So hitting the books and hot cockpit drills is in my future.

KWpilot58

In a nutshell, students do not manipulate twist grip in the TH-73 except for startup and shutdown. IPs “own” the twist grip for auto entry, return to flight position (full open) in the flare during a power recovery auto, and all power off wave offs.

To be a qualified 73 on-wing instructor, you also need to have completed an additional energy management training syllabus that emphasizes advanced Nr management and overspeed prevention techniques, low Nr recovery, and defensive posturing.

With just over 1300 hours in the TH-57, and now about 120 hours in the TH-73, most of which are day fam/contacts, I’ll echo @KWpilot58 when I say I think the 73 is an excellent aircraft for autorotation training, and in some ways more forgiving than the 57. N2 overspeed is your highest risk, but as long as you’re keeping Nr under control, it’s no big deal. I certainly don’t have to worry about overtorques or iso-mount strikes anymore!
In my training I’ve been rolling the throttle to initiate the the auto. Which is new to me. Doing autos from a 1000 foot hover is also new. I really appreciate the maneuverability aircraft, doing 180 degree pedal turns during the auto and being able land with zero ground run to a point on the runway.

If you have any gouge to help me improve please PM me.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
TH-73 CPT's have arrived!