• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tesla Autopilot and similar automated driving systems get poor rating from prominent safety group

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I mean, I'm "camping" in the left lane because I'm already passing everyone on the right. I also have no qualms about weaving when necessary because someone on the left is "only" doing 75.

No, I'm not going to slow down to 70 in a 65 to move over because you want to go 100.

But MD cops actually enforce speeding, unlike NJ / CT / MA / RI / NH
Since I'm the OP, I feel safe continuing the threadjack...

Here's my business practice for extreme speeders when I'm in the left lane:
1. I'm only in the left lane when passing (to include a reasonable pre-pass distance) or for obstacles, stopped cars, people pulling out, etc.
2. If, once I pass the car in the next lane, there's enough space for me to pull over, you to pass, and me to pull back in without getting caught behind the next slowpoke, I'll move over. Otherwise, you can wait, because I'm likely already doing 10-15 over.

You can find handy rules like this in IKE's Coffee Table Book of Proper Driving. Available ~a year after I retire.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Since I'm the OP, I feel safe continuing the threadjack...

Here's my business practice for extreme speeders when I'm in the left lane:
1. I'm only in the left lane when passing (to include a reasonable pre-pass distance) or for obstacles, stopped cars, people pulling out, etc.
2. If, once I pass the car in the next lane, there's enough space for me to pull over, you to pass, and me to pull back in without getting caught behind the next slowpoke, I'll move over. Otherwise, you can wait, because I'm likely already doing 10-15 over.

You can find handy rules like this in IKE's Coffee Table Book of Proper Driving. Available ~a year after I retire.

This is proper road etiquette I'd say. Don't interfere in my life, and I won't interfere in yours, or something like that.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
505626.jpg

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Tesla prior to 2022 utilized ultra-sonic sensors in addition to vision/camera based sensors. In 2022 the Ultrasonic sensors were removed, internal on-board compute processing was increased significantly, and a new sensing and autosteer model based entirely on the 9 cameras was implemented.

AFter owning my Tesla Model 3 for almost a year now, the base "Autopilot" / Autosteer functionality works great as long as you respect its limits. I dislike the latest software updates that implements NHTSA driver monitoring and use mandates in the name of "safety". These changes for me have been annoying and frustrating and require me to turn off these features when I want to look at my phone, interact with the touch screen, or eat/drink - the very times when I want the combination of autosteer/lane keeping and proximity based cruise control to do the work. I'm on a mission to defeat and work around these so called "safety systems".

The two most practical use cases for these features are interstate highway cruising and interstate stop-and-go traffic and I am entirely confident when using these systems for these limited use cases. The only hazard is road debris - which the system will not avoid. But you can safely drive with 50% attention in these use cases and be very safe.

Bringing this thread back to the original topic. Our latest Tesla update gave us autopilot (or whatever it's called). Didn't ask for it nor did we pay for it. Had been offered when we leased our original car for an upcharge. I'm sure we agreed to it as part of the TOS. The cynic in me assumes they're pushing it out to increase the n-size of the data to drive down the number of incidents that lead to less-than-glowing safety ratings. It is a cool system, no doubt. But it accelerates way too fast on anything other than a highway. It's downright uncomfortable on the streets around our house in urban STL. And I don't like how it auto-switches lanes when it sees fit, and it's tied pretty closely to the GPS navigation; it's finicky when you try to tell it to turn or exit the highway without the navigation system telling it to. Most annoyingly, as far as I can tell, there is no way to use a less advanced autopilot. I'd love lane assist + distance-keeping on the highway, and that's it.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Most annoyingly, as far as I can tell, there is no way to use a less advanced autopilot. I'd love lane assist + distance-keeping on the highway, and that's it.
Even my '18 Golf forces me to use distance keeping + front assist if I want cruise control. I only have the option to turn off lane assist, which I do because it's annoying AF. They call it adaptive cruise control (ACC). I miss naïve cruise control, where the car maintains speed, and I change lanes as required.

number9

Contributor
Bringing this thread back to the original topic. Our latest Tesla update gave us autopilot (or whatever it's called). Didn't ask for it nor did we pay for it. Had been offered when we leased our original car for an upcharge. I'm sure we agreed to it as part of the TOS. The cynic in me assumes they're pushing it out to increase the n-size of the data to drive down the number of incidents that lead to less-than-glowing safety ratings. It is a cool system, no doubt. But it accelerates way too fast on anything other than a highway. It's downright uncomfortable on the streets around our house in urban STL. And I don't like how it auto-switches lanes when it sees fit, and it's tied pretty closely to the GPS navigation; it's finicky when you try to tell it to turn or exit the highway without the navigation system telling it to. Most annoyingly, as far as I can tell, there is no way to use a less advanced autopilot. I'd love lane assist + distance-keeping on the highway, and that's it.
I got the free trial as well. The V11 FSD was awful; I couldn't keep it on for longer than 30 seconds without the car trying to kill me. With the new V12 FSD it actually seems much better. I won't be paying for it, though.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am pretty happy with base Autopilot for highway driving I have to say! I will give the FSD V12 trial a go when it finally shows up.

At .67 cents per mile, my Model 3 is doing just fine as POV transport on travel orders!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Even my '18 Golf forces me to use distance keeping + front assist if I want cruise control. I only have the option to turn off lane assist, which I do because it's annoying AF. They call it adaptive cruise control (ACC). I miss naïve cruise control, where the car maintains speed, and I change lanes as required.

I hate ACC. I also rent a lot of cars, so trying to figure out how to turn off ACC in some cars isn't very clear. The VW system is extra annoying and can't be left in one mode or the other like a lot of other cars.

If you go through your front screen menu, you can turn it off by selecting "Cruise Control" instead of "ACC." That seems like an obvious option writing it here, but for some reason it doesn't appear that clearly in the car. You can bring up the menu by either pushing one of the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel or hitting the button on the turn stalk, depending on your model.

Here's a video demonstration: https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/videos/deactivating-adaptive-cruise-control/

I don't know what it is about the Germans and why they have to do everything differently than everyone else, but VW and Audi are the worst. I never know what half the buttons mean because they don't follow the same icon standard that everyone (US and Japan) else does. BMW doesn't seem as bad, but maybe that's because I've owned one for so long.