• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tesla Autopilot and similar automated driving systems get poor rating from prominent safety group

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
just legitimately curious as to why you’d focus on defeating a system that is trying to keep your attention on the road.
I'm speaking of strictly low-threat standard 3-4 lane interstate highway scenario - using the Autopilot with the current level of mandated NHTSA driver monitoring is overkill in this environment IMHO, where I want to overcome the boredom and mundane aspects of driving in this environment. The system, in this environment performs near flawlessly in this environment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The system, in this environment performs near flawlessly in this environment.

Not if it doesn't force you over into the right light with someone behind you trying to pass.

If you stay in the left lane for more than a mile or two and don't move out of the way, it's basically as bad as being child molester. But that goes for everyone, not just Tesla owners.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Not if it doesn't force you over into the right light with someone behind you trying to pass.

If you stay in the left lane for more than a mile or two and don't move out of the way, it's basically as bad as being child molester. But that goes for everyone, not just Tesla owners.
1000012803.gif

I saw a bumper sticker recently that said, "If I'm passing you on the right, you're the idiot."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll be honest, I’m a bit confused. You want to try to defeat the safety systems that are telling you to focus on driving and not be distracted? Not being snarky, just legitimately curious as to why you’d focus on defeating a system that is trying to keep your attention on the road.
When you consider the source, your confusion will quickly dissipate. 😂

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When you consider the source, your confusion will quickly dissipate. 😂
You just can’t resist, can you?
;)

I actuallly get part of @ChuckMK23 ‘s point: Safety systems that are touted to allow you to split your attention, aren’t allowing you to split your attention. It’s a disconnect between customer expectations, manufacturer cost savings, and governmental regulation.

Sounds a lot like another familiar industry…
:confused:

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
You just can’t resist, can you?
;)

I actuallly get part of @ChuckMK23 ‘s point: Safety systems that are touted to allow you to split your attention, aren’t allowing you to split your attention. It’s a disconnect between customer expectations, manufacturer cost savings, and governmental regulation.

Sounds a lot like another familiar industry…
:confused:
“I want to travel around while using my phone/reading/sleeping” is a solved problem. Invest in public transportation.

If you want to drive a multi-thousand pound vehicle at high speeds in close proximity to other people doing the same, pay attention.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
“I want to travel around while using my phone/reading/sleeping” is a solved problem. Invest in public transportation.

If you want to drive a multi-thousand pound vehicle at high speeds in close proximity to other people doing the same, pay attention.

Fair point. I am not suggesting people should be heads down in their fucking iPhones while driving on the highway (even though they are already, and in scary numbers). I was just stating that I understood the point @ChuckMK23 was trying to make- although I disagree with his methods (e.g. defeating safety features). But adjusting temperature, or switching songs on the radio, or defusing a fight between your snot-nosed children in the back seat shouldn't result in Bitchin' Betty going apeshit, either. Bitchin' Betty can enable those things without being annoying about it.

My personal solution to this problem was to buy a truck that simply doesn't have a lot of these features installed, and to drive it like a normal human being. Saved me money, and I don't get nuisance alerts, while still enjoying the convenience of a backup camera and heated seats. That was easy... Meanwhile our Highlander is pretty well-engineered, and I have never felt that a car "needs" an autopilot like an airplane. Apples and oranges, for reasons you all have stated in this thread.

What annoys me is the number of people who cannot manage the distraction of owning a smart phone WILL lead to regulatory changes that WILL result in incredibly annoying nuisance alerts, that consumers WILL be required to pay for when buying a new vehicle. In other words, people's stupidity around tech will be socialized as an added expense and complication to cars.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
My personal solution to this problem was to buy a truck that simply doesn't have a lot of these features installed, and to drive it like a normal human being. Saved me money, and I don't get nuisance alerts. Easy. Meanwhile our Highlander is pretty well-engineered, and I have never felt that a car "needs" an autopilot like an airplane. Apples and oranges, for reasons you all have s
I'm with you there. Honestly, I don't want or need a lot of this stuff...not on my car, refrigerator, etc. Just a solid mechanical device that does the job.

I soured on a lot of this shit with TPMS, and the cost to get them replaced every few years. I'll just check my own tire pressure...TYVM.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm with you there. Honestly, I don't want or need a lot of this stuff...not on my car, refrigerator, etc. Just a solid mechanical device that does the job.

I soured on a lot of this shit with TPMS, and the cost to get them replaced every few years. I'll just check my own tire pressure...TYVM.
The percentage of SA enhancing TPMS alerts, in my experience, is zero.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The percentage of SA enhancing TPMS alerts, in my experience, is zero.
I have TPMS on my BMW R1200GS motorcycle - and the TPMS did its job one day as the rear tire was loosing pressure. Sure enough, I found a machine screw stuck in the tire. Pulled it out and patched with a bacon strip with rubber cement, topped off to pressure at the gas station and I was good to go!!!

Random8145

What annoys me is the number of people who cannot manage the distraction of owning a smart phone WILL lead to regulatory changes that WILL result in incredibly annoying nuisance alerts, that consumers WILL be required to pay for when buying a new vehicle. In other words, people's stupidity around tech will be socialized as an added expense and complication to cars.