• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tesla Autopilot and similar automated driving systems get poor rating from prominent safety group

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
On the TPMS front, I actually like it. My wife drives city streets to work and drives through some interesting areas. So she picks up debris often enough (including a .38 casing once!) that we usually find out via TPMS first and can get it repaired before she winds up with a flat at 8pm in the snow.

Said 2015 Subaru also has Eyesight adaptive cruise that we really like compared to a lot of the newer rental cars I drive. Those tend to be very stop/start.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the TPMS front, I actually like it. My wife drives city streets to work and drives through some interesting areas. So she picks up debris often enough (including a .38 casing once!) that we usually find out via TPMS first and can get it repaired before she winds up with a flat at 8pm in the snow.

Twice TPMS alerts have helped me out in my current car. First was a 'best case' scenario where I had it in the middle of a family road trip starting out on a week-long vacation. Ended up being road debris and got the tire replaced after a lunch break on the way down due to how rapidly it was deflating. Second was more gradual but did alert me to another piece of debris in a tire.

So overall, happy to have them.

Random8145

Twice TPMS alerts have helped me out in my current car. First was a 'best case' scenario where I had it in the middle of a family road trip starting out on a week-long vacation. Ended up being road debris and got the tire replaced after a lunch break on the way down due to how rapidly it was deflating. Second was more gradual but did alert me to another piece of debris in a tire.

So overall, happy to have them.
They are especially helpful in winter when it's cold out.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
View attachment 40056

I saw a bumper sticker recently that said, "If I'm passing you on the right, you're the idiot."
I remember being in a defensive driving course to lower my insurance back in my early 20s.

For some reason a person admitted that the proper way to deal with a slow person in the left lane was to tailgate and flash high beams.

The instructor's response: they're all just lanes. If you want to go faster, it's your responsibility to go around.

Once you get over that, you'll be a lot less mad.

And before anyone accuses me of being a granny on the left, my average cruise speed on a highway is 85-90mph. But when I'm tailgated by a Silverado on I-95 who wants to go 100, my favorite game is "take my foot off the gas and make you ride your brakes. Then set cruise control to equal the car next to me on the right."

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Then set cruise control to equal the car next to me on the right."
I had a manger like that once. He told us all a story of how he did that on a long stretch of two lane road, beside an 18 wheeler, to regulate all the cars behind him from going faster than he deemed appropriate. Then he proceeded to do something similar with all our careers. He was a real piece of work.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I remember being in a defensive driving course to lower my insurance back in my early 20s.

For some reason a person admitted that the proper way to deal with a slow person in the left lane was to tailgate and flash high beams.

The instructor's response: they're all just lanes. If you want to go faster, it's your responsibility to go around.

And before anyone accuses me of being a granny on the left, my average cruise speed on a highway is 85-90mph. But when I'm tailgated by a Silverado on I-95 who wants to go 100, my favorite game is "take my foot off the gas and make you ride your brakes. Then set cruise control to equal the car next to me on the right."
In many states, including MD, the left lane is defined as the passing lane. Camping in it is therefore illegal (yeah, I know, so is speeding). We don't enforce it as hard as TX, but it's still the law. It's nice when ethics and the law align.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
In many states, including MD, the left lane is defined as the passing lane. Camping in it is therefore illegal (yeah, I know, so is speeding). We don't enforce it as hard as TX, but it's still the law. It's nice when ethics and the law align.
Man, you’d hate driving in KS… people camp in the left lane like it’s their job out here, although they aren’t usually rude about it- just a “small town” mindset. Or they’re on their phones. 😤

Reactions: IKE

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Isn't there a beta test going on right now? Flew with a CA who had his Model Y auto drive him from Portland up to Seattle for our recurrent a couple weeks back, and he was raving about it. However, when you get your news from 60 year olds, perhaps this is old news? :)

Random8145

! I do not for the life of me understand these a-holes who tailgate. I mean what the hell do they think is going to happen if the person in front has to slam the brakes? They're going to smash right into them. Yet people do it at 70+!

I do not generally hold traffic or vehicles up though, because these days things just seem kinda different. Like how it's a different feeling today if someone knocks on your door versus say thirty years ago. Well similarly with driving. You purposely hold someone back and next thing you know, you might be getting shot at or followed or something. Maybe I am paranoid, but then a few weeks ago, I was making a run to a grocery store that is five minutes away. To get there, there is a road you turn right onto that leads up to a stop sign. To the left the road curves. Well there was a crossover rounding the curve. And the road speed is about 40 mph. Well no biggie I thought, the person is still at a distance and we are only heading to a stop sign anyhow, so I pulled out and accelerated up to the 40 mph.

BIG MISTAKE.

So this crossover speeds up and comes right up on me. I keep going the 40 and wonder what's this person tailgating me like this for. So we reach the stop sign and the crossover pulls to my right, where the guy, some enraged redneck-looking dude, goes screaming at me and giving me a huge middle finger, then turns off.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
…However, when you get your news from 60 year olds, perhaps this is old news? :)
You’re being a mean punk…and even though you put a :) at the end of it, you’re still being mean punk.

LATE ENTRY: I’ll be 60 in three days…and I can [will] beat the crap out of you in 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ [rock, paper, scissors]…because I’m the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I mean, I'm "camping" in the left lane because I'm already passing everyone on the right. I also have no qualms about weaving when necessary because someone on the left is "only" doing 75.

No, I'm not going to slow down to 70 in a 65 to move over because you want to go 100.

But MD cops actually enforce speeding, unlike NJ / CT / MA / RI / NH

Reactions: IKE