• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Technical Degree

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'd say math is definitely a technical degree. Applied Math and Theoretical Physics are almost the same thing, anyway (at the undergraduate level). Applied Math just has broader scope.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Let me get this straight. You want to be an officer and probably a pilot/nfo and you are thinking about majoring in MATH?!? Sounds like someone also likes to cut themself.

BigRed389

None
There's a better link but I'm too lazy to find it.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm

Click on the footnote link next to wherever it says "technical degree".

"Technical Degrees include: all Engineering, Architecture, Aeronautics, Operations Research/Systems Analysis/Operations Analysis, Meteorology/Climatology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Mathematics, Computer Science (Math Oriented), Physics, Astronomy, Physical Sciences, and Statistics."

Metallurgy...haven't heard of too many people majoring in that...

Kycntryboy

pilot
When I applied it had to be at least 6 hours of calc and 10 of physics to be called technical. Thats how it was put to me by my recruiter.

Rasczak

Marine
Thanks fellas. So then I'd fall under the 36 month range if I wanted to apply this semester? I'm about a semester or two behind in my classes. I made the mistake of taking all the university requirments first(all the BS classes) and left all my math and physics classes towards the end. Hence, this summer I have to take calculus and possbily cal II so that I can enroll in all my major classes in the fall....

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Take classes because either you need them or you enjoy them, not because you think it will look better. I got in with one of the most useless degrees, Aviation.

Rasczak

Marine
I just talked to my advisor today. He highly suggested that I double major. I sequenced my classes wrong and I am going to run out of classes to take while I work on my primary degree(physics). So to fill those empty spots for classes, I need to pick up another major. I'll still finish in 3 years if I can pick up calculus this summer. Time to start calling my recruiter again.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just talked to my advisor today. He highly suggested that I double major. I sequenced my classes wrong and I am going to run out of classes to take while I work on my primary degree(physics). So to fill those empty spots for classes, I need to pick up another major. I'll still finish in 3 years if I can pick up calculus this summer. Time to start calling my recruiter again.

If you do that, just know that it won't help you get into, or perform better in the Navy, so do it for your own personal reasons.

Brett

Rasczak

Marine
Well that would be the point of it. I don't expect to be in the Navy my whole life. I eventually want to teach.