• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS versus OCS: Similarities and Differences

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Slight thread jack, perfect coincidence that a TBS thread came up when I had a TBS question I could not find an answer to in prior threads....

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.......is TBS down for those holidays IE you can go home for a few days? What are the lengths? I understand it might change, just looking for what those who went in the past experienced during these holidays and if I should consider telling the family I might see them these holidays....

Thanksgiving will be a regular ole 96, and you'll be able to go home. Chritmas through New Years is not unlike winter break at college. We had basket leave from 19 December to 5/6 January. As awesome as that sounds, it was a huge pain in the ass in the grand scheme. F Co. graduated 16 January.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
OCS and TBS aren't similar. At OCS your treated like dirt and at TBS you are a 2nd Lt and rate all the due respect given, so long as you act the part.

Where the hell did you go to TBS?

apparently Hotdogs is a Fox company Lt, cause there's no way he's even remotely experienced the current Charlie Company "treatment" and "respect".

Brigadier General Spiese stated on Friday that "TBS sucks...we all know that." Not a lot one can add to that.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

apparently Hotdogs is a Fox company Lt, cause there's no way he's even remotely experienced the current Charlie Company "treatment" and "respect".

Brigadier General Spiese stated on Friday that "TBS sucks...we all know that." Not a lot one can add to that.

I'll give it to you guys... Your pretty old corps compared to the rest of us. :)

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
A huge difference between OCS and TBS is that at TBS, you're encouraged to ask questions (after a class or exercise, not during it), and you'll usually get a sweet war story to go with the answer. This goes double if you're asking one of the enlisted instructors.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Similarities/differences

1. You'll be wearing the same uniform daily, but pick up a lot more uniforms (and accessories like a sword)and have to get them tailored/inspected.

2. You'll be at Quantico again, but on the other side of I-95.

3. You'll drill, march and run, but be working out more on your own and marching further and "camping out" more often as well as getting really proficient at Land/Nav.

4. You can bring a car, but you can drive it daily (if not camping out).

5. You'll have Marine instructors, but ratio of enlisted/officers will be reserved and you'll get far more officers instructing you.

6. You'll be rising and shining as a team, but get more privacy in the head.

7. Still won't be immune from personal, equipment and room inspections, but you're an officer at TBS and will be expected to keep your s___ in clean and in proper condition so they will be less harsh and less frequent.

8. You'll learn and be exposed to weaponry of the Marine Corps, but you'll have a lot more hands on time and get familiar with and be tested on a lot more weapons.

9. You'll be surrounded by your peers, but you'll be in a sea of 2/LTs at TBS with better living situation and married Marines go home at night.

10. There will be pressure to excel and perform under observation, but OCS is a selection tool/process and not all are expected to survive and proceed to TBS whereas TBS is a training environment and you really have to work at it to not graduate. Marines would be happy to graduate 100% of every class.

Note: My any and all observations are now 30+ years old (some things may be the same and some different...ie I enjoyed my TBS experience and the friendships I made there)

We have to drill at TBS? I was told we'd never have to drill again after OCS. Not that drill was hard, just very very boring.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There is no drill at TBS...at all. At first I was a little freaked out by the idea, but I got used to it pretty fast. It's just the way it is, but it's easy to see why any parade with a staff and "officers center" is such a chore.

You'll get a big enough dose of sword manual to not suck at it, even though you'll never use it.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
TBS is a marathon, whereas OCS is a sprint. You'll find the 2nd Lieuten-andidates that roll into TBS all hard charging and motivated tend to petter out halfway through. But the ones that just maintain a strong/steady pace tend to do the best. Or you can be like most of the other FIGMACs out there and bebop your way through. :)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
There is no drill at TBS...at all. At first I was a little freaked out by the idea, but I got used to it pretty fast. It's just the way it is, but it's easy to see why any parade with a staff and "officers center" is such a chore.

You'll get a big enough dose of sword manual to not suck at it, even though you'll never use it.

We did pass and review for the SgtMaj's turnover, on his not quite even field. It was pretty embarrassing for all involved.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
We have to drill at TBS? I was told we'd never have to drill again after OCS. Not that drill was hard, just very very boring.

Not much drilling at TBS, you spend a few days toward the end working the sword, but it's a no-brainer. Officers aren't expected to be stellar at drill anyways.

Reconjoe

How much personal space if any is expected there? Thinking of bringing my desktop PC if theres desk space......enough desk space and the kegerator can come to :D

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's just like living in a BEQ as a non-NCO. You have roommates. Everybody gets a wall-locker and a secretary/desk.

A computer is a must. I would hold off on the kegerator until the staff turns down the suck. That and Graves and Obannon Hall are deficient in electrical outlets. The new Q should be pretty sweet though.

AJB37

It's just like living in a BEQ as a non-NCO. You have roommates. Everybody gets a wall-locker and a secretary/desk.

A computer is a must. I would hold off on the kegerator until the staff turns down the suck. That and Graves and Obannon Hall are deficient in electrical outlets. The new Q should be pretty sweet though.

I assume that the new Q won't finished by the October class, right?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I assume that the new Q won't finished by the October class, right?

I heard that the company that reported today is in there. I'll get some confirmation on that tomorrow. And if one company will fit, then so will two.