• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS versus OCS: Similarities and Differences

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
I wanted to create this thread for anyone who has been to both OCS and TBS and can comment on the basis of the two courses. Both must be inherently different in their own respect, but I am sure that there are similarities among them as well. For those of us who have yet to report to TBS, it will be beneficial to see whats adjustments must be made as well as what qualities we can carry over from OCS. Any and all input is appreciated.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
OCS is mostly to weed out/ filter the scumbags who right off the bat don't have any leadership potential to become Marine officers. TBS focuses more on training and bringing out leadership styles as well as instilling some basic officer qualities and molding lieutenants into Marines. There are many many differences, not too many similarities between the two, they're both necessary evils, and rites of passage per se.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
... they're both necessary evils...

That puts it pretty well. If you're like most, you'll be miserable during both. The main difference is that you expected OCS to suck, perhaps not so much with TBS - But it will.

Just get through, try not to get annoyed when you're sitting around for hours for apparently no reason, and realize that once you get down to Pensacola, you're miles ahead of your Navy/AF peers for having gone through it. Its one of those things that you can only appreciate once its behind you.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Congrats on getting through OCS. l goodtuff posted already. What I would add is that I could tell you that you don't need to be a screamy, anal-retentive asshat at TBS the way you need to at OCS, but somebody is going to do it anyway. That'll eventually go away though as everybody catches on to the new climate.

If you or anybody else has any other specific questions let them fly.

And Cunningham, be ready for a ration of shit to come downrange because you said Marines are ahead of everyone else in Pensacola. I know what you're saying, but it's a bit of a party foul to bring it up.

jtmedli

pilot
I have not been to OCS or TBS but a Capt once told me "it was like that semester of school you just have to get through...no fun classes, but you needed to do it"

EDIT: I immediately respected him for his honesty!!

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
I have not been to OCS or TBS but a Capt once told me "it was like that semester of school you just have to get through...no fun classes, but you needed to do it"

Not to beat a dead horse, but OCS was 10X worse than my worst semester of school. Ironically, my worst semester of school came immediately after I returned home from OCS. Going back to a college campus with a bunch of grimy, undisciplined freaks with long hair was almost as much as a culture shock as pick-up at OCS. The only thing that kept me sane was the women, which in turn also drove me nuts.

Reconjoe

Slight thread jack, perfect coincidence that a TBS thread came up when I had a TBS question I could not find an answer to in prior threads....

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.......is TBS down for those holidays IE you can go home for a few days? What are the lengths? I understand it might change, just looking for what those who went in the past experienced during these holidays and if I should consider telling the family I might see them these holidays....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Slight thread jack, perfect coincidence that a TBS thread came up when I had a TBS question I could not find an answer to in prior threads....

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.......is TBS down for those holidays IE you can go home for a few days? What are the lengths? I understand it might change, just looking for what those who went in the past experienced during these holidays and if I should consider telling the family I might see them these holidays....

You will be able to take leave, and most everybody's out of bounds chits get approved. It's TBS, not prison. (Though you still do live in a concrete room with 5 other dudes)

jtmedli

pilot
Not to beat a dead horse, but OCS was 10X worse than my worst semester of school. Ironically, my worst semester of school came immediately after I returned home from OCS. Going back to a college campus with a bunch of grimy, undisciplined freaks with long hair was almost as much as a culture shock as pick-up at OCS. The only thing that kept me sane was the women, which in turn also drove me nuts.

He was referring to TBS when he made that statement.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
OCS and TBS aren't similar. At OCS your treated like dirt and at TBS you are a 2nd Lt and rate all the due respect given, so long as you act the part. TBS as much as it sucks sometimes, in my opinion is extremely important as far as learning the material and becoming an officer. Not much of it is "fun" but almost all of it is relevant to your career in the fleet, whether or not you are ground, air, or law - and - whether or not you actually believe you will need any of it in the future. It is also probably one of the easiest things you'll do in your career. Just my boot Lt perspective.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
OCS and TBS aren't similar. At OCS your treated like dirt and at TBS you are a 2nd Lt and rate all the due respect given, so long as you act the part. TBS as much as it sucks sometimes, in my opinion is extremely important as far as learning the material and becoming an officer. Not much of it is "fun" but almost all of it is relevant to your career in the fleet, whether or not you are ground, air, or law - and - whether or not you actually believe you will need any of it in the future. It is also probably one of the easiest things you'll do in your career. Just my boot Lt perspective.

I know we have daily Kool-Aide drinking sessions here but damn, you seem to have really bought into it. :eek:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I know we have daily Kool-Aide drinking sessions here but damn, you seem to have really bought into it. :eek:

haha....no not really...not even close actually compared to our peers. You know the dudes that get pissed because you don't bic your hair every weekend. My sleeves aren't choking off the blood to my brain..yet

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OCS and TBS

I wanted to create this thread for anyone who has been to both OCS and TBS and can comment on the basis of the two courses. Both must be inherently different in their own respect, but I am sure that there are similarities among them as well. For those of us who have yet to report to TBS, it will be beneficial to see whats adjustments must be made as well as what qualities we can carry over from OCS. Any and all input is appreciated.

Similarities/differences

1. You'll be wearing the same uniform daily, but pick up a lot more uniforms (and accessories like a sword)and have to get them tailored/inspected.

2. You'll be at Quantico again, but on the other side of I-95.

3. You'll drill, march and run, but be working out more on your own and marching further and "camping out" more often as well as getting really proficient at Land/Nav.

4. You can bring a car, but you can drive it daily (if not camping out).

5. You'll have Marine instructors, but ratio of enlisted/officers will be reserved and you'll get far more officers instructing you.

6. You'll be rising and shining as a team, but get more privacy in the head.

7. Still won't be immune from personal, equipment and room inspections, but you're an officer at TBS and will be expected to keep your s___ in clean and in proper condition so they will be less harsh and less frequent.

8. You'll learn and be exposed to weaponry of the Marine Corps, but you'll have a lot more hands on time and get familiar with and be tested on a lot more weapons.

9. You'll be surrounded by your peers, but you'll be in a sea of 2/LTs at TBS with better living situation and married Marines go home at night.

10. There will be pressure to excel and perform under observation, but OCS is a selection tool/process and not all are expected to survive and proceed to TBS whereas TBS is a training environment and you really have to work at it to not graduate. Marines would be happy to graduate 100% of every class.

Note: My any and all observations are now 30+ years old (some things may be the same and some different...ie I enjoyed my TBS experience and the friendships I made there)

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe may be old, but his memory seems to be solid. Amazing that not much changes in through three decades.