• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Gym

wrk

I think they called it cardiac hill. Any details?

So are the platoon level billets structured similarely to OCS wrk, Plt. Sgt., squad leader, etc.?

It's steep. You walk up it on the way there, and down it on the way back. It's not that bad compared to the hill after cardiac on the way back, it's not as steep, but it's long.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Cardiac has nothing on Danang at OCS...don't sweat it. It's Quantico, there are hills everywhere.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
That answers most of the questions I had about the humps Jamn, 15 miles isn't too bad. Thats interesting that you get to choose how long you want to break for.

You don't get to choose how long...perhaps my post was confusing on that point. Glad to help.

Also, apparently theres quite a hill to conquer on the way to the rifle range..I think they called it cardiac hill. Any details?

Only problem with the hump to the range, and then back again, is when your SPC is racing other platoons...we routinely made the trip in record time, at a much faster pace than normal humps...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thanks for all of the info fellas... can't think of any other questions at the moment. Now if I could just get school out of the way.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
TBS humps are done on paved or gravel roads. Night humps suck a little when potholes exist. 3mph is the average pace, with 10-min breaks on the hour. The rifle range humps (right at the beginning) are probably closer to 4-5mph on the way there, and generally faster on the return trip. Our record was 2.2 miles in 24 mins (just over 5mph).
Garrison billet tenures are 2 weeks. Each level has its own unique responsibilities. It's set up so just about everyone will be squad leader once, and about 75% of the students will hold a platoon or company level billet.
Field billets last from 2 hours to 2 days, and everyone will have a squad-leader billet or higher. Sometimes you'll know in advance, and sometimes you won't.
Billet evals count for about 15-20% of your overall grade, so take them seriously (even fire-team leader).
A wise man once told me that peer leadership equates to pure leadership, as you can't fall back on rank to impose your will on others. This doesn't mean being the alpha-male in your group; it means that you have to be a good follower before you can be a good leader.

invertedflyer

Thanks for the gouge AA, sounds like its going to be an interesting stay at TBS. As far as being out in the field... is there the full range of squad assaults etc. involving live fire? I assume everyone gets a chance to lead at least a fireteam out in the field.

Most of the TBS Lts. I talked to when we dropped in at OCS said they loved it and considered it "good clean fun" ... They ofcourse were realistic about it... its definitely hard work and there are some long days, especially in the field. What was your experience?

wrk

Thanks for the gouge AA, sounds like its going to be an interesting stay at TBS. As far as being out in the field... is there the full range of squad assaults etc. involving live fire? I assume everyone gets a chance to lead at least a fireteam out in the field.

Most of the TBS Lts. I talked to when we dropped in at OCS said they loved it and considered it "good clean fun" ... They ofcourse were realistic about it... its definitely hard work and there are some long days, especially in the field. What was your experience?

There's only two live fire exercises. There's a squad live fire exercise, and a platoon live fire exercise. When I was at TBS we used the same billets for the whole live fire exercise, so everyone knew their place. So no, there isn't a range of billets for life fire exercises. The platoon one was kinda dumb, I thought, but the squad live fire was probably one of the coolest things at TBS, it was pretty cool at night too. The rest of the field exercises are with blanks or while shouting bang.

I don't know how anyone could refer to TBS as "good clean fun," it's neither clean, nor fun. Yeah there's some fun stuff, but overall it sucks. Maybe they had a better SPC and company staff or something, but I hated just about every minute I spent there.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The tactical squad leaders pick their own fire-team leaders, so everyone should get several chances to lead a FT. Unfortunately, since squad leaders get evaluated and FT leaders don't, many squad leaders will try beefing up their squad with the "best" Marine for each billet, such as a strong leader for FTL or a good land-nav guy as navigator. This, unfortunately, reduces the training value for the unit as a whole, as the same guys hold the same billets day after day. Keep this in mind when picking your subordinate leaders, and resist the temptation to typecast your peers. Part of your job as a billet holder is to develop your subordinates.

invertedflyer

Good advice AA.

WRK... keep in mind that I'm a field radio operator... key word being "field" ... If I had to choose between staying in garrison or going out and freezing my ass off with a mere 10 blanks in my M-16 I'd still choose the field... Not that I'm not looking forward to the wing, I just enjoy the field for some reason.

Does everyone shoot the SAW, or is it just the automatic rifleman for the live fire exercises?

wrk

Does everyone shoot the SAW, or is it just the automatic rifleman for the live fire exercises?

Everything is the same for each run of the live fire, so no, not everyone will get to use the SAW or the 203, or the 240G during the live fire. But you'll get a chance to shoot a 240G, a 50 cal, and some other stuff during another event, can't remember if I fired live rounds out of the SAW though.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
During FEXs, you'll have the T/E complement of weapons for a rifle platoon, i.e. a SAW and 203 per FT, and 3 PRC-119's per platoon. On the last FEX, this will also include an "attached" MMG squad (2 240Gs), so 3-man fire teams are pretty common. During MOUT training, M-16's will get sim rounds, but SAWs and G's still fire blanks.
And yes, everyone will get to fire the SAW at the Ivan (popup) targets down by the rifle range, as well as the MG's (M-240G, M-2, Mk-19) noted above and live 203 rounds at a different range (targets are rusted out tanks). The live-fire ranges also feature the "blue death" powder round for the 203, and illum at night.
And don't forget the live grenade toss and simulated AT-4 (9mm tracer round instead of a rocket).

winger

FNG
Nope!

Unfortunately, since squad leaders get evaluated and FT leaders don't, many squad leaders will try beefing up their squad with the "best" Marine for each billet, such as a strong leader for FTL or a good land-nav guy as navigator. This, unfortunately, reduces the training value for the unit as a whole, as the same guys hold the same billets day after day. Keep this in mind when picking your subordinate leaders, and resist the temptation to typecast your peers. Part of your job as a billet holder is to develop your subordinates.

You've got to be shitting me.

Nobody wants you to "develop" your "subordinates." They are your fellow Lieutenants. Nobody really knows anything at that point. If a guy sucks at land nav, he will be fixed on Saturdays in remedial. Don't conjure up some righteous reason to make him the platoon's nav... unless you want your SPC rightfully smacking your dumb ass upside the kevlar with a platoon of your tired, pissed off "subordinates" in trail, dragging the 240 over hill after hill, while your boy Magellan up there tries to pull his head out of his ass.

It's important to recognize the difference between being a real platoon commander and a billet platoon commander for 14 days in Quantico. Get the job done in the best and most efficient way possible- everything else is bullshit. TBS is a time for sorting the 0302s from the 0170s. If you suck or you are a fat pig, they'll see you bright and early on Saturday morning. If, come Saturday afternoon, you still suck, find a way to get fired up about papercuts and coffee makers come MOS selection.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
^
What he said. I imagine the AI's admiration for your personnel development would be overshadowed by his frustration caused by not reaching the objective.

In real life, it is your responsibility to train and develop your subordinates. TBS is not real life. Picking the meek guy who is a total introvert to be your squad leader, or the guy who falls out of humps to go on your 8 hour long leader's recon hurts your peers, and probably your evaluation as well.

Paul

invertedflyer

During FEXs, you'll have the T/E complement of weapons for a rifle platoon, i.e. a SAW and 203 per FT, and 3 PRC-119's per platoon. On the last FEX, this will also include an "attached" MMG squad (2 240Gs), so 3-man fire teams are pretty common. During MOUT training, M-16's will get sim rounds, but SAWs and G's still fire blanks.
And yes, everyone will get to fire the SAW at the Ivan (popup) targets down by the rifle range, as well as the MG's (M-240G, M-2, Mk-19) noted above and live 203 rounds at a different range (targets are rusted out tanks). The live-fire ranges also feature the "blue death" powder round for the 203, and illum at night.
And don't forget the live grenade toss and simulated AT-4 (9mm tracer round instead of a rocket).

Thats gonna be quite an experience... We did most of that stuff at MCT, but the SAW will be something new. Is "blue death" the same as "orange death" ... just marked blue because they're a training round (orange powder)?

How long are the FEXs? Is it typically small unit action or is it on a larger scale?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Thats gonna be quite an experience... We did most of that stuff at MCT, but the SAW will be something new. Is "blue death" the same as "orange death" ... just marked blue because they're a training round (orange powder)?

How long are the FEXs? Is it typically small unit action or is it on a larger scale?

Yes...."death by Cheetos" I believe.

FEXs are week-ish in duration. Unit sizes grow as training progresses: Squad-Platoon-Company(-).