• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Gym

Fongabonga

pilot
I was in the best shape of my life while I was in M Co. doing IFS. Tons of free time. As far as base gyms go, the Weapons Btn gym is pretty money. I'm pretty sure its always open and its got everything you need for a good workout. No waiting for equipment either. If you want to be super moto, you can run application trail there, lift and run back. Not wise at night though. I was in Alpha 05, froze my ass off.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well I guess I've got plenty to look forward to. Being in an infantry unit the past three years I'm hoping that some of the TBS stuff will be more of a refresher than anything else. I always hear differing opinions about it... A Captain at my unit said he hated it, yet others claim that its a good time and you get to shoot many kinds of weapons. As for me, I'm ready to swing with the wing but I'm hoping it'll still be tolerable. Nothing helps more than a good work out so thanks for the gouge.

wrk

Oh you get to do some cool stuff, that's for sure. Shooting the Mk-19, and calling in artillery were probably two of the coolest things I've done, and the 50 cal wasn't half bad either. Thing is, the cool stuff is smashed between mountains of suck. But like I said before, it can really depend on your SPC and your company staff, they can pretty much make or break your experience there.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The gym next to the pool at TBS has been totally redone. It "should" be reopened this week. If you end up in Mike Co. and want to PT, try to get over to the MACE. Those guys PT from 0730 to about 1400 everyday.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
In '04, the TBS gym closed at 2000 and on weekends, while the Weps Bn gym is open 24/7. Like mentioned above, run the 2.5 miles out, lift, and run back. If you have questions about the E-course, watch the first 5 mins of "Silence of the Lambs." Those are a few of the highlights (sans the pack and rifle).

invertedflyer

It looks like I'll probably be with Alpha company... which means, from what I hear, that we'll go to the field in a couple feet of snow. Personally, I'd rather do the long humps in the cold vice the humidity. What were some of your experiences on the humps and other field exercises? I've heard that some individuals at TBS had the opportunity to fast-rope out of helicopters.. any truth to that?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Couple feet of snow? I doubt that. It was 67 degrees down here today. It snows, but when it does, it doesn't last long. However, it may just rain on you all day and then freeze at night while you sit in an ambush. It can be cold without snow. I've never heard of anybody fast roping out of helos at TBS.

invertedflyer

Yeah I figured that whole couple feet of snow thing was a rumor... It seems given the climate in VA during this time of year that the snow doesn't last long, and just makes for very muddy trails ... Were there any helo inserts in TBS at least? ...out with the bad gouge, in with the good.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Yeah I figured that whole couple feet of snow thing was a rumor... It seems given the climate in VA during this time of year that the snow doesn't last long, and just makes for very muddy trails ... Were there any helo inserts in TBS at least? ...out with the bad gouge, in with the good.

Yeah, concur with Doc about the fast roping, but yes there are Helo inserts...basically on every field exercise.

As for the snow however...yeah its 67 now but the real weather doesn't hit VA till January. Never had "feet of snow" while in the field but had plenty of it while we were at home...snow would be lucky in the field, the alternative is what we ended up with rain that was just warm enough not to freeze but right on the edge. That coupled with almost never being allowed to wear Gortex makes for an interesting time.

Expect the rifle range to have crappy weather with frequent changes, meaning nice one day and 35 degree 15-20mph winds in the face with rain. FEX I is probably going to be the worst weather other than the rifle range but luckily by FEX III and IV things get downright nice out (mid 50's sometimes up in the 60s).

Humps in the winter weren't bad, until you stopped...overall better than the summer IMHO

usmc96

Inverted Flyer:

Be careful about going into TBS with an infantry backround. Don't get me wrong, you are experienced, but but no means will it put you ahead of the game.
Any knuckle head can learn infantry tactics, what TBS teaches is how to apply leadership toward every facet of being a Marine Corps Officer.

Go in to TBS with an open mind about everything Whether it be the Humps or the tan belt syllabus (which you probably will do again) to Law classes.

As for fast roping and intensive small unit infantry tactics, this is all done at IOC. (Pilots used to be able to request IOC before flight school) You will never be in better shape or have a better time/ work any harder physically.

Good Luck!
When I look back at TBS, I had a blast. No other time (Can't speak for Pensacola) can you be paid like an officer and only have the individual responsibilities as a lance corporal. Work hard in the Class and in the field, work as a team player, and drink lots of beer on the weekends.

invertedflyer

Inverted Flyer:

Good Luck!
When I look back at TBS, I had a blast. No other time (Can't speak for Pensacola) can you be paid like an officer and only have the individual responsibilities as a lance corporal. Work hard in the Class and in the field, work as a team player, and drink lots of beer on the weekends.

Best advice I could have received 96, thanks. Yeah I'm definitely NOT going to be the know-it-all guy thats like... yeah all of this infantry stuff is old news. Forget that... I'm gonna be an information sponge like everyone else.

I'm definitely looking forward to it... I know this has turned into kind of a TBS Q&A, but what were the billets like. I heard that you have them for about a week, and you are counsiled regularely on your effectiveness.

Jamn, I've heard different word on the humps. Is the longest hump 20K or 20 miles? big difference. I know this has kinda turned into a TBS Q&A, thanks fellas.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Jamn, I've heard different word on the humps. Is the longest hump 20K or 20 miles? big difference. I know this has kinda turned into a TBS Q&A, thanks fellas.

No problem with a Q&A...we all had the same questions all that is different is timing...

Longest hump is 15mile. Not sure what you have heard but my personal preference is for cold humps, you still soak your utilities but when you stop for a rest you cool down quicker meaning that it doesn't take as long to rest before you are ready to go again, not that you get to decide how long of a stop you get.

What exactly have you heard, maybe I can answer more fully?

wrk

There has been some fast roping at TBS, I've seen the pictures to prove it, it's not a regular thing though.

wrk

I'm definitely looking forward to it... I know this has turned into kind of a TBS Q&A, but what were the billets like. I heard that you have them for about a week, and you are counsiled regularely on your effectiveness.

The field billets are what you should be worried about, garrison billets aren't that big of a deal unless you're on the company staff. You get counseled on everything, including billets, and very frequently, especially if you aren't doing so well. Platoon level billets in garrison are mostly just relaying information and taking accountability, but the level of responsibility goes up considerably in the field, and that's what you're really evaluated on.

invertedflyer

That answers most of the questions I had about the humps Jamn, 15 miles isn't too bad. Thats interesting that you get to choose how long you want to break for. What is the terrain like on the humps? Word has it that the terrain is flatter than OCS, but naturally I'm highly skeptical of that. Also, apparently theres quite a hill to conquer on the way to the rifle range..I think they called it cardiac hill. Any details?

So are the platoon level billets structured similarely to OCS wrk, Plt. Sgt., squad leader, etc.?