• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tax season uhg-ain . . .

MasterBates

If you feed a Manatee, you get a surprising amount back.

Paid in about 11K between DITY and Normal. Getting 7ish back.

Best part? Other then the $1500 I still owe her lawyer, she gets none.

Alimony is not "deductible" but it comes off you adjusted gross income. Also, if you are separated and paying under an official agreement/order be it from the Military or Court, you can write that off if you file single (I did that last year)

MasterBates

Nope. Different section of the 1040.

AGI is before deductions.

You get items in the AGI section (Lines 23-37) regardless of itemization or standard deduction.

Student loan interest is the other common one, along with Moving Expenses, HSA, and IRA. It's and "adjustment" off of which your tax bracket is based, not a deduction off of taxes paid.

Basically, money you did not make.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You get items in the AGI section (Lines 23-37) regardless of itemization or standard deduction.

Student loan interest is the other common one, along with Moving Expenses, HSA, and IRA. It's and "adjustment" off of which your tax bracket is based, not a deduction off of taxes paid.

The end result is the same.

Brett

MasterBates

Close, but not the same.

The keys are that you can deduct Alimony and Student Loans even if you don't itemize.

Also, for things such as student loans, they look at Adjusted Gross Income. Which is after AGI adjustments and before deductions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Close, but not the same.

The keys are that you can deduct Alimony and Student Loans even if you don't itemize.

Also, for things such as student loans, they look at Adjusted Gross Income. Which is after AGI adjustments and before deductions.

I understand.

Brett

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I do have a mortgage, and can itemize my deductions which is why I ask. I get the reasoning on the internet/cell not being deductible, it was the haircut one that seemed like it might have life, but then again, it isn't like it makes a huge increase in what I get back, but a dollar is a dollar right?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do have a mortgage, and can itemize my deductions which is why I ask. I get the reasoning on the internet/cell not being deductible, it was the haircut one that seemed like it might have life, but then again, it isn't like it makes a huge increase in what I get back, but a dollar is a dollar right?

Why don't you start deducting the cost of razors and other toiletries? I mean fuck, if you weren't in the military, you wouldn't have to shave or even shower, right? Let's assume you spend $200 on haircuts in a year. That adds up to a whopping $28 savings to you, or you could stop being a weasel and do the right thing. :rolleyes:

Brett

MasterBates

Did it again this year. Made more, paid a LOT more. Between the IRS, Sallie Mae, and Manna Tee, that's 50% of what comes in the door :eek:

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone had any problems filing their florida returns using the HR Block software? Florida doesn't show up as a state you can file a return for yet. Any ideas?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Anyone had any problems filing their florida returns using the HR Block software? Florida doesn't show up as a state you can file a return for yet. Any ideas?

May have something to do with florida has no state taxes . . . just a thought ;)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew they didn't have income tax, but wasn't sure if they taxed anything else...figured I'd check to be sure

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
umm....you pay all your taxes for florida. trust me. that little 8.25% (is this how much it is?) tacked onto everything you buy? that's your taxes.

MPH

Well said. Production of income, etc. are all "above the line".

I came into this thread to make sure that you were adjusting your AGI w/ your alimony MB; after your last post in the locked thread I was concerned you were paying her share of the taxes too! :eek:

Also, do you think she's reporting the entirety of her alimony income? If not you could always report her... getting 15% of your alimony back in a check from the IRS might be a nice touch. :icon_smil