• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tax season uhg-ain . . .

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do you even itemize your deductions? Otherwise it's a moot point. At any rate, the standard for what you should deduct should be what would stand up to an audit, not FLYTPAY's sea-lawyering suggestion - that's just tons of fucked up (if you ask me).
Sea-lawyering huh? Funny my tax course as an Accounting major hit upon taxes, and deductions! I have never had a deduction been disallowed on an audit.

Let's assume you spend $200 on haircuts in a year. That adds up to a whopping $28 savings to you, or you could stop being a weasel and do the right thing. :rolleyes:
Yep, the right thing is to deduct it if you can. To not deduct something that is deductible, well "that's just tons of fucked up (if you ask me)."

MasterBates

Or if you shop at the NEX, you don't pay either!

(yeah, I know you can't get everything at the NEX, but it does help on some things)

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I just read through the entire thread, and thought that it might be helpful for those wondering about deducting the cost of haircuts (which likely aren't deductible at all), cell phones (if required by your command), internet access (for investment use), etc. to know that:
a) You have to itemize deductions to do this, and unless you pay mortgage interest and/or have large state income tax or property tax payments for the year or some other large Schedule A expense, you're likely better off just taking the standard deduction, and
b) These "Job Expenses and Certain Miscellaneous Deductions" are subject to a threshhold based on 2% of Adjusted Gross Income, meaning that your expenses have to exceed that amount before you can claim the balance as a deduction.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I found out this year whilst wading through the state tax rules for Oregon that I can deduct all of my (military) pay from my state taxes since I didn't earn it in Oregon...which means I'll get a huge refund. Not a bad start to an otherwise awful annual chore!

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
There are some new laws out there that may apply to some...fyi. For instance, if you bought a new car this year you can add on the taxes to your standard deduction. Stashed VITA rep out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just read through the entire thread, and thought that it might be helpful for those wondering about deducting the cost of haircuts (which likely aren't deductible at all), cell phones (if required by your command), internet access (for investment use), etc. to know that:
a) You have to itemize deductions to do this, and unless you pay mortgage interest and/or have large state income tax or property tax payments for the year or some other large Schedule A expense, you're likely better off just taking the standard deduction, and
b) These "Job Expenses and Certain Miscellaneous Deductions" are subject to a threshhold based on 2% of Adjusted Gross Income, meaning that your expenses have to exceed that amount before you can claim the balance as a deduction.

And this one is the kicker, folks. When I was in school (those who know my unique circumstances will understand), I decided to go for max deductions and saved every single receipt which was even tangentially connected to work or school. Every sheet of paper, every pen, every printer cartridge, every fee that wasn't covered by the Navy. At the end of the year, I was nowhere close to meeting the 2% AGI, so all that effort was wasted. Bottom line, you're not going to nickle and dime your way out of paying for things like haircuts, or uniforms, or other quasi-legitimate "work" expenses, so don't waste your time.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not when you're originally from CA. That's chump change.:D
Yeah, definitely. People here bitch and moan about how much tuition and sales tax is. Hell, I pay a boat load in property tax, BUT I don't have to pay state income tax. CA is an evil, evil place.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I wish more people understood this concept.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm single w/o a house and have been using the 1040ez for years. I usually finish my stuff up in less than twenty minutes. Return should be in the bank this week.
Ahhh to good ol days. Man how I wish my taxes were still that easy.