• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tax season uhg-ain . . .

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, I just finished filing my tax return this year. Military onesource is once again offering free online tax services, this year through H&R block. Just thought I would point that out for anyone who wasn't aware of it.

MasterBates

and don't forget the "Sales tax" part. It did not automatically bring me there. It is under "state taxes paid" on your federal return. A lot of people who file in FL or TX forget to deduct them.

If you bought a car or other big ticket items, it can help.. Got me about $300 less in what I owe.

BTW, having married witholding, but filing single = BIG bill.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd rather they have an income and sales tax in AK. They make up for it by raping me in property taxes.
I think you're dead wrong ... I used to be based in Anchorage and looked into it when I was deciding whether to buy or rent ... and the tax structure (overall, based on total personal income) ranged from 1.3% - 2.5 % for property taxes and from .02% - 2.4% for sales & excise taxes of all kinds on individuals during the period(s) 1989-2002.

PLUS ... no personal income tax for individuals.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than MY property taxes --- coupled with the high state & local sales taxes AND the legislature's perpetual panting and gasping over the prospect(s) of enacting a personal income tax.

Remember ... politicians NEVER take a tax away ... they just change it's face and swap it for something else.

(sources: Alaska Tax Division, US Census, Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy)

snake020

Contributor
I think you're dead wrong ... I used to be based in Anchorage and looked into it when I was deciding whether to buy or rent ... and the tax structure (overall, based on total personal income) ranged from 1.3% - 2.5 % for property taxes and from .02% - 2.4% for sales & excise taxes of all kinds on individuals.

PLUS ... no personal income tax for individuals.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than MY property taxes --- coupled with the high state & local sales taxes AND the legislature's perpetual panting and gasping over the prospect(s) of enacting a personal income tax.

Remember ... politicians NEVER take a tax away ... they just change it's face and swap it for something else.

If AK had income tax it wouldn't affect me being a CA resident, and here the city appraises your property annually then taxes you based on it. Two years ago they had it at $183k, now it's $236k.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If AK had income tax it wouldn't affect me being a CA resident....
Don't be too sure ... unless there's a special "exemption" for USGI's ??? Something akin to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act ???

Our pilots -- California, Minnesota, Michigan, and Hawaii based were all tapped for state personal income taxes - even some commuters who only maintained a commuter apartment -- no matter where their "home of record".

I know of the case of a Navy Chief and an Officer who got slapped with tens of thousands in back taxes from Hawaii when they retired in the islands --- they had each been stationed there but claimed residency elsewhere ... then they pulled the plug and retired in the Islands. The Hawaii deptartment of revenue was not impressed ....

snake020

Contributor
Possibly a special "exemption" for USGI's ??? Something akin to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act ???

Our pilots -- California, Minnesota, Michigan, and Hawaii based were all tapped for state personal income taxes - even some commuters who only maintained a commuter apartment -- no matter where their "home of record".

CA tax rules say active duty CA residents are exempt from state taxes unless stationed in CA.

"Home of record" does not necessarily mean state of residency. You can almost change your residency at will, but HOR (where you initially entered active duty) remains the same.

flynsail

pilot
and don't forget the "Sales tax" part. It did not automatically bring me there. It is under "state taxes paid" on your federal return. A lot of people who file in FL or TX forget to deduct them.

As a FL resident, what do you do put in that block? I've always used VITA on base, therefore, I guess they have always filled that in for me.

If you bought a car or other big ticket items, it can help.. Got me about $300 less in what I owe.

How do you claim that?

It is always good to learn about things that will reduce what I owe. Thanks ahead of time MB!