• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talk to me about the Prowler community

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
ea6bflyr said:
Yep, the last week of June. Here's a few more Prowler pics from that boat det....Were you there?
ea6bflyr

Sure was... It was great when we were trying to get qual'ed at 3am on that last day so that everyone could get back for a Fourth of July weekend. Luckily I was watching it on the PLAT as a new qual. Did you break the ship that Sunday? I really appreciated the extra day in San Dog!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Punk said:
Fair pass: too much power in close to at the ramp, bumped nose down to land, 4 wire
Congrats on your achievements and orders. And you're close on the grade comments --- so you MAY be LSO potential ... :) ... and that is the BEST job a J.O. carrier Aviator could ever have, by the way. It allows one to get into, dissect, and perfect the profession while helping your squadron mates and ultimately the AirWing. Plus, you get to know every Aviator aboard, from the lowest to the highest. What could be better?

Because "B" = FLAT (think "flat" as in music "flat"... symbol "B" ....it's kind of a "B" of sorts, which is where it came from, according to my LSO teachers/mentors/tormentors) .... some LSO's think "flat" and "nose down to land" are redundant --- I guess it's all how you were trained to wave.

So, to make a general comment on your general tendencies, as you described them ..... your pass ended with:

"FLAT, NOSE DOWN TO LAND" ... meaning you were holding your nose down as you crossed the ramp to keep the ball from rising any higher --- because you were carrying too much power (?); a "little" too high all the way (?), or in-close to at the ramp (???) --- or all of the above (?) --- thus "flattening" the aircraft as you crossed the ramp and .... raising the hook. Watch out --- this causes "hook-skip_ and regular, old garden variety, in-the-wires bolters. Some "deck-spotters" typically do this as well --- go BNDTL --- because they stop looking at the ball and focus on the deck in the last couple of seconds. (*edit* ... I emphasize I know NOTHING about your CQ ... just trying to help based on what you indicated was a "trend" or "tendency" on your part ... ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR LSO)

Without knowing anything about you or your flying, might I suggest that you are either carrying too much power all the way .... or accepting a "high" or "little high" ball all the way or too much of the way in the groove? Again, what you describe is typical of this .... which goes back to my earlier point(s):

1. ALWAYS work hard to get a good start .... that's most of the battle, especially for new guys ...
2. Make your corrections quickly and early if the start is not optimum ...
3. Accept NOTHING less than ON SPEED, ON GLIDESLOPE, ON CENTERLINE ...
4. Did I say, "Meatball, lineup, AOA" ... ??? :)

Why the hard line emphasis on the above??? Because:

5. Nightime is coming .... :eek:

Hmmmm .... Internet/Web based waving ..... I could wave from home ... no cruise ..... what a concept !!!

scarnuts

OUCH!
What do you thing will happen to the majority of the NFO's that will loose their back 2 seats when the growler comes aboard? Will those guys be asked to leave or maybe be given the option to lat xfer? Just curious on how these guys future might be and any input would great.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Dawgfan said:
IFLAUS (?) doesn't have a centered cell... At least that's my excuse.
That's really weak ..... but (kind of ....) true. :) ... you can see why from the pictures --- the IFLOLS was obviously designed by an engineer and not an LSO-Aviator. And since you mentioned it:

I don't fly the ball anymore, obviously, but I try to keep my "waving hand in" on the technology ... what a great system improvement IFLOS is over the older systems. The 12 fiber optic cells will give you glide slope information at about twice the sensitivity as the older F(resnel)LOLS. With the IFLOLS's greater definition, it is now possible to accurately get a good visual reference on the lens as far out as about a mile behind the ship --- 3/4 of a mile used to be stretching it --- tough to do without radar-like eyesight back-in-the-day. Plus, the older lenses would "bloom" too much if cranked up to give greater intensity, thus losing definition in relation to the datums. IFLOLS, coupled with the Long Range Line-up System (LRLS) take much of the guesswork and "sport" out of landing on USS BOAT these days. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are now aboard all the big decks and some fields ..... I don't know about Marine-friendly smaller decks.

iflols1yu.jpg

Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS)

IFLOLS together with LRLS are such an improvement over what we had to work with ... you guys are lucky. And I'd rather be lucky than good any day ..... so if you're BOTH --- you've got it made! ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
scarnuts said:
What do you thing will happen to the majority of the NFO's that will loose their back 2 seats when the growler comes aboard? Will those guys be asked to leave or maybe be given the option to lat xfer? Just curious on how these guys future might be and any input would great.
Between the long transition/phase out time (Prowlers will be around for at least 5 years after the first G model squadron comes online), different number of A/C in a squadron, and some management of the inflow from the training pipelines, they say they have it worked out - at least on paper. There are lots of old A-6 guys in our community (now at the O-5 thru O-9 level) who remember the blood bath that was the A-6 sundown, so they're working pretty hard to do it right this time.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
FlyingFortress said:
Out of curiosity, does the Prowler have a HUD? I know later models of the Intruder did.

Prowler - NO.

Intruder - NO.

The A-6F and A-6G concepts had HUD's but the fleet Intruders never had more than an old fashioned gunsight for CCIP and manual bombing.

B

Blutonski816

SteveG75 said:
The A-6F and A-6G concepts had HUD's but the fleet Intruders never had more than an old fashioned gunsight for CCIP and manual bombing.

A-6G??? I've heard of the A-6F, but never knew there was another Intruder concept in the works. Mind enlightening me on that one??

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
SteveG75 said:
Prowler - NO.

Intruder - NO.

A-6-windscreen.jpg

I take it this is an F or a G model? Or maybe that's not even a HUD...