• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talk to me about the Prowler community

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
ea6bflyr said:
recent CQ det
When you go to the initial Prowler CQ, do the pilots fly with the full team (all four seats filled)? Given the intial CQ rates that I've heard, I imagine there would be some white knuckles.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
ea6bflyr said:
Here's a few pic from a recent CQ det about the Navy's Newest AC Carrier... Enjoy. (Some of them guys were scarry!!) Only three wires to choose from...
ea6bflyr

hmm, only three wires, I happen to be a firm believer in mr. 4 wire :icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
airgreg said:
When you go to the initial Prowler CQ, do the pilots fly with the full team (all four seats filled)? Given the intial CQ rates that I've heard, I imagine there would be some white knuckles.

FCLP .... two can do it --- Pilot/NFO .... local area, etc.

Shipboard CQ .... at least three .... Pilot +2 ..... because of the backseat CB's ... if memory serves, some BOLDFACE EA-6B procedures require pulling some backseat CB's .....

p.s. .... everyone has white knuckles at night. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Punk said:
(OK) TMPIC-AR BNDTL 4 :icon_rast ... if you "like Mr. 4" ... get used to it.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Physicx said:
How hard is it to be assigned to the land based squadrons? And will the Growler be shooting missles?

Coming from the forfront of naval aviation here at NAS Pax I can tell you that we havent even begun to test whether or not we are going to make the Growler a defensive as well as offensive platform. This is all public knowledge we havent gotten a working model yet we are using a F/A-18F configured with all the proper components to make it a tactical jammer. More then likely I dont forsee any air to air missiles being loaded on the thing, but its still a long process of test and eval. The jet we are working with hasnt flown in months as all the computer systems and stuff are still being tested

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:

The Ronald Reagan only has 3, yes three, arresting wires and you CAN and ok 1 wire. Some smart engineer types changed the arresting wire setup. So far I can't tell any difference in boarding rates. More to follow....
ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

Either you remember your LSO shorthand VERY well, OR you were one of those One-Eyed, no-depth perception LSO types.. ;)
ea6bflyr

"BOLTER, BOLTER.......................hook skip" (LSO's way of showing LOVE)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dawgfan said:
Are these from the June boat?
Yep, the last week of June. Here's a few more Prowler pics from that boat det....Were you there?
ea6bflyr

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super18Ordie said:
Coming from the forfront of naval aviation here at NAS Pax I can tell you that we havent even begun to test whether or not we are going to make the Growler a defensive as well as offensive platform. This is all public knowledge we havent gotten a working model yet we are using a F/A-18F configured with all the proper components to make it a tactical jammer. More then likely I dont forsee any air to air missiles being loaded on the thing, but its still a long process of test and eval. The jet we are working with hasnt flown in months as all the computer systems and stuff are still being tested
Trust me when I tell you that when the RAG gets their first jets, it will be 120 capable.

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
A4sForever said:

it was me keeping the ball above the datums that got me here in the first place
lol.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
1/2 ball high is better than a 1/2 ball low.....
ea6bfyr
Never .... there is no substitute for a centered ball at the ship. Period. It's the ONLY thing that is safe, professional, and above average. Especially at night.

Pilots --- don't ever settle for anything less than a centered ball --- keep working if it's not --- no exceptions. NFO's --- don't you settle for it either. If you do settle for less --- the best that can happen is your landing grades will suffer. The worst? You connect the dots .... no (LSO) smiles on this subject .