• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talk to me about the Prowler community

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
...I loved the Intruder. I always said that on the ground the only way to tell an Intruder pilot from a B/N was to look at the wings. :icon_smil .......
That is very true .... unless you flew with a B/N named "Ace" (no last name ;) ) . I did when he was new, as I was ordered to ..... :) .... and I knew he wasn't a pilot, but I still wasn't positive whether he WAS a B/N or merely a Martian. At least I knew he was from New York City. What a guy: sometimes brilliant in the early A-6E .... and then another time at the ship he couldn't selective jettison a drop tank that wouldn't transfer off the very basic A-6A type armament panel on a tanker. He didn't know how. Go figure ....

"Ace" got kicked out of the Navy .... he couldn't make LT as the (then) C.O. hated him. "Ace" went on to the Air Force and command of an ICBM silo somewhere in the great wasteland ... I kid you not. Ahhhh .... Intruders .... many personalities and characters.

Physicx

Banned
How hard is it to be assigned to the land based squadrons? And will the Growler be shooting missles?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Physicx said:
How hard is it to be assigned to the land based squadrons? And will the Growler be shooting missles?

The land based EA-6B squadrons are going away. There will be no land based Growlers. (The way it was intended for Naval Aviation). USAF may have a SEAD plan but it is probably way out there.

The Block I Growler will be AGM-88 HARM capable. Does that mean you will shoot missiles. Probably about as much as the Prowler. Any Hornet will be able to carry the HARM but only the Growler will be able to carry jamming pods. So, expect to carry jamming pods and plan HARM shots for the rest of the air wing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
The land based EA-6B squadrons are going away. There will be no land based Growlers. (The way it was intended for Naval Aviation). USAF may have a SEAD plan but it is probably way out there.

The Block I Growler will be AGM-88 HARM capable. Does that mean you will shoot missiles. Probably about as much as the Prowler. Any Hornet will be able to carry the HARM but only the Growler will be able to carry jamming pods. So, expect to carry jamming pods and plan HARM shots for the rest of the air wing.
Don't forget AMRAAM.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as I like the P-3 (and the slack-ass pilots that fly it :D) and the F/A-18 with all it brings....I really love watching the EA-6B's getting launched off the cats or even coming back aboard. Of course, my fondness for these seem to diminish when it's 3 O' clock in the morning and I'm trying to get some sleep.

Grant

I read an article a while back that said that the Growler will keep the missle rails on the wingtips. But of course, that could change. Regardless, I cant imagine the Growler ever going out looking for a dogfight.

Does anybody know if the Growler will be supersonic? I'm pretty clueless about the weight and drag of the jamming pods (probably classified anyway), but I'd imagine those would lower the top speed of the SuperHornet a bit.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
....I really love watching the EA-6B's .....even coming back aboard....
And for Punk: the EA-6 has now defaulted you into driving the "hardest" jet to come aboard the ship with .... granted, there's not too many jets to pick from on today's big deck. I didn't say "less safe", mind you ... just going to be harder to get an "OK" pass in than in other platforms, past and present. I don't build 'em, I just fly (flew?) 'em, but think a high-lift, dirty wing, and flaperons in-close to at the ramp ..... but fortunately you'll have plenty of power .... :)

ea6b_15.jpg

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Grant said:
I read an article a while back that said that the Growler will keep the missle rails on the wingtips. But of course, that could change. Regardless, I cant imagine the Growler ever going out looking for a dogfight.

Does anybody know if the Growler will be supersonic? I'm pretty clueless about the weight and drag of the jamming pods (probably classified anyway), but I'd imagine those would lower the top speed of the SuperHornet a bit.

Wingtip rails will be carrying ES pods (per open literature). Expect to carry 1-2 AMRAAM on the shoulder stations for self protect.

No Hornet is supersonic in level flight with external stores. World's slowest supersonic fighter.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
SteveG75 said:
Wingtip rails will be carrying ES pods (per open literature). Expect to carry 1-2 AMRAAM on the shoulder stations for self protect.

No Hornet is supersonic in level flight with external stores. World's slowest supersonic fighter.

oh goodie, I can shoot one in the face and then get shot down as I "attempt" to run away, hehe, crap

but seriously guys, thanks for all the replies, lot of helpful info

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
And for Punk: the EA-6 has now defaulted you into driving the "hardest" jet to come aboard the ship with .... granted, there's not too many jets to pick from on today's big deck. I didn't say "less safe", mind you ... just going to be harder to get an "OK" pass in than in other platforms, past and present. I don't build 'em, I just fly (flew?) 'em, but think a high-lift, dirty wing, and flaperons in-close to at the ramp ..... but fortunately you'll have plenty of power .... :)

ea6b_15.jpg
What a beautiful bird.....again, except when I'm trying to sleep!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a few pic from a recent CQ det about the Navy's Newest AC Carrier... Enjoy. (Some of them guys were scarry!!) Only three wires to choose from...
ea6bflyr