• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Meaning, if you suck more than the others, you'll go COD's or E-2's. Makes sense, can't perform early on (might be able to down the road) but why take the extra time, let those go on who can perform now and let those who can't go to a platform where it's not required. Plus, all COD drivers are homo's :)

MasterBates

Meaning, if you suck more than the others, you'll go COD's or E-2's. Makes sense, can't perform early on (might be able to down the road) but why take the extra time, let those go on who can perform now and let those who can't go to a platform where it's not required. Plus, all Hawkeye NFO's are homo's :)

Fixed it for you Bunky. :icon_smil

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB, what happens when you get to the rag and there are only E-2 slots available? Someone will track down all of your anti-E2 comments and use them against you. ;)

MasterBates

They already are.....

I think VetteMuscle or Goober makes a weekly synopsis and gives it to the -120 skipper.

Besides, that was not anti-E2, it was anti-FO.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I understand your point. Remember, I'm not talking about the smaller, everyday/every-tour decisions we make like your example above illuminates, but the broader, overarching concept of choosing a career based on how much family time you'll get. My main thesis was that using the family time metric in determining if you should/could be a "career military officer" (or what platform to fly / what geo-location to go to) doesn't make a lot of sense because you're inevitably going to disappoint.

And that's the point (or question, I suppose) that was being asked. I think there's an underlying assumption that yes, there will be a lot of time away from family since this is the military. However, I think he's trying to gauge what could play in down the road wrt his family. If he was trying to have absolute family time I'd hope he'd have thought of another career path.

I think Bunk's post was a good point of affecting his career and not just making a day to day decision since he didn't get 0-5.

Finally, I think your "career military officer" statement leads me to believe that you think that every pilot is going to stay in till retirement?? There's a big difference in the career military officer and the guy who wants to do his commitment, enjoy his flying, and hit the road. For that guy, I could see family playing a huge difference in decision making, since that guy isn't going to have to deal with some of the decisions several years down the road that the career guy would.

I have no clue about the guy who asked the question, but I can use myself as an example, since including my prior time plus my time required after winging, I'll be at almost 15 years, but the dude straight from college only has 9-10 years after all is said and done. So, those decisions could be very different comparing the two.

So yes, I still say that it's a very valid question regarding family.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Finally, I think your "career military officer" statement leads me to believe that you think that every pilot is going to stay in till retirement?? There's a big difference in the career military officer and the guy who wants to do his commitment, enjoy his flying, and hit the road.

Excellent point, and you're right - I suppose my views are slanted towards the aviator who is inclined to do 20 or more years. And don't get me wrong here, ANYONE who has or is currently serving, in any capacity in the Armed Forces, has my respect.

I enjoy the back and forth :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... ANYONE who has (served) in any capacity in the Armed Forces, has my respect. ....

Hmmmmmm .... I served under and with some 1st class turds --- I did not have much respect for them. I know a couple of guys --- officers --- who went to prison. The big house. Up the river ..... not too much respect for them, either. :)

I think one is still in .... :confused:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmmmmm .... I served under and with some 1st class turds --- I did not have much respect for them. I know a couple of guys --- officers --- who went to prison. The big house. Up the river ..... not too much respect for them, either. :)

I think one is still in .... :confused:

Always gotta be the downer, eh? ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They already are.....

I think VetteMuscle or Goober makes a weekly synopsis and gives it to the -120 skipper.

Besides, that was not anti-E2, it was anti-FO.

You are now on my list.......

cheeks.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Always gotta be the downer, eh? ;)
Would you prefer the Pollyanna approach and tell the boys that everyone they're going to serve with is just a "great guy" and deserving of "respect"???

Because, of course, to tell them that would be ridiculous.

Respect is earned, not guaranteed. People like truth, don't you think??? Eh, Hoser ???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you prefer the Pollyanna approach and tell the boys that everyone they're going to serve with is just a "great guy" and deserving of "respect"???

Because, of course, to tell them that would be ridiculous.

Respect is earned, not guaranteed. People like truth, don't you think??? Eh, Hoser ???

It was a joke, hence the wink........;).....Eh?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry ... I didn't get the internet joke.

I thought it was a "twitch" in your eye rather than a "wink/joke" ... (
:Dnow THAT's a joke, Hoser)

No worries, at least I wasn't really 'winking' at you......don't ask don't tell.......:D