• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Hmmmmmm .... I served under and with some 1st class turds --- I did not have much respect for them. I know a couple of guys --- officers --- who went to prison. The big house. Up the river ..... not too much respect for them, either. :)

I think one is still in .... :confused:

One can respect the "service" to our Nation without necessarily respecting the individual, can't they ???

robav8r

None
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I think A-4s might be implying that some people are serving only themselves and could give two shites about anything that doesn't benefit them in one form or another. (comrade, country, or their men)

In that case, no their service doesn't deserve respect.

I think I'm starting to feel the effects of "AWTD." I didn't realize it until I went back and reviewed my original thoughts wrt this thread. Yes, it is true, I have been afflicted with Air Warriors Thread Disorientation.
:icon_carn

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I think A-4s might be implying that some people are serving only themselves and could give two shites about anything that doesn't benefit them in one form or another. (comrade, country, or their men)

In that case, no their service doesn't deserve respect.
You got it right, Bruddah .... but then, you have an advantage. You have "vision" and "understanding" that only two sets of Wings can afford one ... :)

And in the odd, unusual case ... I think an individual's performance or activities while in the "Service" can actually bring disgrace and dishonor to the Service (capital "S's") .... i.e., one of the two individuals that I referenced as going to the Big House would fall into this category ....

It would have been better if he had never raised his right hand and sworn an oath.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You got it right, Bruddah .... but then, you have an advantage. You have "vision" and "understanding" that only two sets of Wings can afford one ... :)

Somehow I don't think the market is cornered wrt "vision & understanding" despite the number of breast insignia one wears. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Somehow I don't think the market is cornered wrt "vision & understanding" despite the number of breast insignia one wears. ;)
Steady .... steady ..... just a "satirical observation" ..... steady. Plus, they ain't breast insignia --- they're Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer Wings. Steady as she goes .... serenity now ..... :)

But since you mentioned it --- breast insignia .... or .... Navy Wings of Gold : big difference in my world.

Fred

How about this, a young pilot does his sea tour then has a choice to do a shore tour that offers time with the family or a lot of time away. If family comes first, he/she chooses the job with more family time. Or a pilot can leave his shore tour early to do a sea tour, like a shooter tour or can finish our the last year of shore duty. Doing so could hurt the career but staying means more time with the family. I had the last option and chose family. By not leaving early to do a disassociated tour cost me career wise (big reason not making O-5). But I chose my family and would do the same thing over again in a heartbeat. Plus, being a shooter was something I just simply didn't want to do.

If my husband was in your situation I would be fairly upset with him if he chose “career suicide” in order to spend more time with our family. In the long run, I can see that having far more detrimental effects than spending part of the year away from the kids and me. Not promoting in rank, and not gaining the experience, education, etc., which goes along with it, would have greatly limited the types of jobs available to him once he retires.

For us, I’ve never felt that him choosing to do the “hard jobs” that were good for his career meant he was choosing the Navy over his family. He’s done a very good job at balancing a very successful Naval career and a strong, secure marriage and family.

(I fully realize what works for our family would never work for others)

Fred

I I know we have had this debate before, but I don't think that it is a bad thing to base your selection preference on "family life", as some platforms are more suited to keeping a family than others.

Which platforms are those?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If my husband was in your situation I would be fairly upset with him if he chose “career suicide” in order to spend more time with our family. In the long run, I can see that having far more detrimental effects than spending part of the year away from the kids and me. Not promoting in rank, and not gaining the experience, education, etc., which goes along with it, would have greatly limited the types of jobs available to him once he retires.

For us, I’ve never felt that him choosing to do the “hard jobs” that were good for his career meant he was choosing the Navy over his family. He’s done a very good job at balancing a very successful Naval career and a strong, secure marriage and family.

(I fully realize what works for our family would never work for others)

To each his own then. It simply depends on what is important and what's not. My wife would have supported whatever decision I made. I made the decision based on what I wanted. I have no regrets at all. It wasn't career suicide, that one decision. I'm just glad I don't have homely navy wife that just follows me around waiting for Bunk to get home, make rank, pretending to carry rank, etc. BTW, there are no hard jobs (not our community), just shitty jobs and if someone is willing to jump on it to further their career, go on them. They can have it.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Steady .... steady ..... just a "satirical observation" ..... steady. Plus, they ain't breast insignia --- they're Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer Wings. Steady as she goes .... serenity now ..... :)

But since you mentioned it --- breast insignia .... or .... Navy Wings of Gold : big difference in my world.

Copy all wrt "serenity & steadiness." Semantics can be a wonderful thing !!!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I fully realize what works for our family would never work for others

. . . . excellent point. The "family" can and does play a pivotal role in how much "career aggressiveness" the service member pursues.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
. . . . excellent point. The "family" can and does play a pivotal role in how much "career aggressiveness" the service member pursues.

Sometimes there are those wives who take on their husbands rank and role. The wife as seen quite a few at the knives, I mean wives club. A good reason she rarely went while I was in a squadron and never know. It's going to get rough when one wants to do it all and the stay at home wife/husband isn't willing to make the sacrifice. Thats when it's tough. When the spouse supports the other no matter what, makes it much easier.

MasterBates

If anyone is unsure of how much an unable to cope spouse can affect your career, just search my username and divorce.

A good spouse can be a godsend to allowing you to do what you need/want to do, but a bad can throw so many roadblocks up that you will have to work that much harder.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If anyone is unsure of how much an unable to cope spouse can affect your career, just search my username and divorce.

A good spouse can be a godsend to allowing you to do what you need/want to do, but a bad can throw so many roadblocks up that you will have to work that much harder.

I was waiting for your comments :D

robav8r

None
Contributor

Yes, yes, YES !!! Kind of flows back to my original post in this thread. There are wives and families that can and do support the service member very well - regardless of where they go, platform they fly or "breast insignia" they wear on their chest (that was for you A4's ;)) And we all know there are the "MB flavor" of wives out there that can make life Hell for everyone. Your relationship with your wife and your family will survive the stress of Navy life or it won't.